Zimbabwe notes through the roof?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by wcoins, Feb 8, 2018.

1. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

I saw a guy on the youtubes a few years ago saying Zimbabwe currency was a good investment. I thought he was crazy or he was joking.

But look at the 100 trillion note.

Few years ago they were going for $10-$20 each. Now they are nearing $100 each?

Is it just that cause it's the largest denomination note ever and is in high demand or all notes from that country went up?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Because it was the last of the hyper inflation notes. Those notes are populare due to number of zeros and the fact they are in "dollars". Everyone expected a quadrillion note to be printed when Zimbabwe switched to USD. The value of the 100 trillion note is not its monetary value, but as a curiousity.

onecenter and paddyman98 like this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I have a pretty extensive set from the very high ones, down to the "normal" sounding denominations.

6. jfscmedic

jfscmedic Well-Known Member

The only one I know of that brings a big premium is the 100 Trillion Dollar Note. The rest can be found for just a few dollars

7. V. Kurt Bellman

I took one of those over to the Finance Committee staff, offering to "handle the state budget", if I could get change in U.S. dollars. They didn't bite.

Think of it - 100 trillion - one single note. In name, that's more U.S. dollars than have EVER EXISTED IN HISTORY, including EVERYONE'S. And people think that'll happen here. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Morons, I tell ya', morons!

George McClellan and jfscmedic like this.
  8. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Amazing! I guess the joke gifts to my kids turned out to be not-so-funny.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

People hear words that rhyme with "illion" and lose ALL ability to think.

10. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I've picked up some of the "Lesser" (in the millions and billions) for like 20 cents at coin shows.

11. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

Wiki says the computers couldn't handle the zeroes.

(Accountants have to keep exact track even of 1/10,000th...
    ... like a U.S. Cent to a 100$ bill...
    ...or 1/100,000th for larger accounts.)

12. V. Kurt Bellman

Ah, but what about real "lesser" - $10, $50, etc. Have those?

13. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

What if someone goes to the bank and asks singles for a 100 triliion note?

If a cashier can count 100 bills in 10 seconds (machine), it would take him/her 10,000,000,000,000 seconds or 317 years to count.

14. lettow

lettow Senior Member

The people who hawked the Zimbabwe dollar as an investment were not talking about as a collectible. These people touted the high inflation currencies (Zimbabwe, Vietnam, etc.) as a foreign exchange investment that would gain in value compared to the US dollar based on the impending "Global Currency Re-set" that was always going to happen (like free beer) tomorrow. I had a client that was insistent that he was going to make millions on this. There were conference calls with these hucksters and email alerts, etc. He gave our church several million Vietnamese dong anticipating that it would solve our budget woes forever. The Finance Committee asked me what they should do with them because the bank would not take them. I told them to give them out as prizes to the Sunday school kids.

15. V. Kurt Bellman

The ability of SOME idiots to denigrate the health of their own country's economy knows no bounds. To my way of thinking, it's economic treason.

Why?

Because more so than perhaps in ANY OTHER field of study, in economics bad things can be made to happen because people can inadvertently CAUSE bad things to happen, just by predicting them, at the margin.

16. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

How can that be if they were no longer legal tender?

17. V. Kurt Bellman

What even IS nonsense like that?

18. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Don't bother them with petty little details like that. It interferes with their ability to fleece people.

19. onecenter

onecenter Member

The last time I read about the proposal to redeem the final incarnation of the Zimbabwean dollar was the value that "may" be paid to anyone who brought them to a Zimbabwean bank was at a rate of $100 trillion equals US$0.40, and this was before President Mugabe was removed from office.

20. V. Kurt Bellman

Darn! That reminds me. I promised to work on a ghost-written first draft of Mugabe's Manual of Legislative Procedure.

21. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Draft saved Draft deleted