Zimbabwe bills

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Pilkenton, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

I hope this isn't a repost. I looked for another post, but couldn't find one.

There's a guy on ebay that's selling Zimbabwe one hundred trillion dollar bills. I bought three for less than five bucks. The serial numbers are in consecutive order. I bought them for the novelty.

Any opinions or comments on these bills?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I don't know what a hundred trillion Zimbabwe dollars is worth these days, but apparently something less than a buck and a half :)

Pretty fun to have a note with such a huge denomination though!
    Dave

4. Pilkenton

Wanna buy one? LOL. Half price sale. Only $50 trillion. What a deal!!!

5. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

you could probably make a profit at a garage sale or flea market reselling 1 at a time.

6. cerdsalicious

cerdsalicious BigShot

theyre not worth anything
    the zimbabwean currency isnt even used in zimbabwe
    Theyre not worth the paper theyre printed on.
    You could use them for toilet paper lol.

7. Lather

Lather Time traver Numismatist

They have a Value... Hyper Inflation Bills are collected.. I have Several.. It is Nuts to watch the bills Start off sane and go to Trillions in a year and a half..
    The Exchange rate on these are now set by Collectors..
    Its neat to have all those Zeros on One Bill.. Enjoy.

8. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

I was looking at them at the Whitman coin show in Baltimore last week. It appeared to me the higher the denomination the lower quality the bill. I think the largest bill I saw was 100,000,000,000. With a trillion dollar bill you could probably buy a loaf of bread if you could find one one.
    What a tragedy Zimbabwe used to be the bread basket of Africa.

9. chip

chip Novice collector

Here is a good example of an impulse costing me, I bought a set of three, a 50 billion, a FIFTY TRILLION, AND (darn caps lock) and a hundred trillion, I had read somewhere that the hundred trillion was pegged at 30 dollars us, and bought the set for twenty, well at least the guy I bought them off of is a good guy and has a family so he can use the money well.

10. Lather

Her is the Previous post on the Collecting of these type Items..
    There are several of us out there.. They Show the Fall of Nations.. It can be sad.

http://www.cointalk.com/t79043/

11. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

They are a fun novelty item. I really wanted one and ended up with 5 off of ebay. They cost me a little over a buck each. I auctioned the extras off one by one and got $3.50 or so for each.

It is a great conversational piece, and I'm glad I have one......I mean $100,000,000,000,000 is A LOT of zeros.

12. Pilkenton

Hey Lather, thanks for the link.

13. Lather

You bet!..
    You can read up on Many other Hyper Bills on the link..
    I like them.. They are cheap and easy to collect. Have fun.

14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The country practically did away with the Zimbabwe Dollar a little more than a year ago. They have been using a multi-currency system (mostly South African Rand and US Dollar) since then. And from what I have read, you can indeed buy bread, other food, gas, etc. - provided you have the money. Except that most cannot afford such "luxury" ...

Christian

15. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Lather pointed it out and I'll reiterate. They do have some value as a lesson in history.

I have the 100 and 10 trillion dollar notes myself.

16. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

How about some pics!! try photobucket.com

17. Pilkenton

Here's what it looks like.

I got this pic off google images, but it looks just like mine.

Attached Files:

18. Lather

Take a look at the Other link for the other post.. I didn't want to double post so many.. but I think there are several pics there.. Enjoy

19. mlmummert

mlmummert Junior Member

Huh? If the hundred trillion is worth $30 US and you paid $20 for all three, then you made out if I read this correctly.

20. cerdsalicious

cerdsalicious BigShot

The currency is no longer valued or used.
    Zimbabwe doesnt even use it lol
    Its jsut a piece of paper with ink on it now.

21. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

"Huh? If the hundred trillion is worth $30 US and you paid $20 for all three, then you made out if I read this correctly"

I dunno, that 100 trillion might be worth around $5.00 now. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted