Zeugma Peribolos/Temple Bronzes of Philip I and II

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Apr 7, 2019.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

They aren't exactly rare - more like fairly scarce, but still, it isn't every day you come across seven in one place (unless you work at CNG perhaps). So what the heck, I bought them all.

The most interesting thing about the type is that it's a rare instance of the use of perspective on ancient coins. At first glance, the temple appears to be on some sort of flattened pyramidal structure, but look again! It's not a two-dimensional image. A peribolos is a walled garden area typically found near ancient temples. In this case it bounds a grove of trees and you are seeing it narrow as it gets closer to the temple, which is at the far end.

I've altered the traditional attribution of these coins to point out the use of perspective...

COMMAGENE, Zeugma. Philip II. 247-249 AD.
    Æ28, 14.9g; 6h
    Obv.: AYTOK K M IOYΛI ФIΛIΠΠOC CЄB; Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: ZЄYGM-ATЄΩN; Peribolos containing grove of trees, seen in perspective; tetrastyle temple in distance, draped figure within (Zeus?); in exergue, capricorn to right.
    Reference: Butcher 31c; BMC 35.

Some sources attribute these to Philip I, some to Philip II (the busts could be of either I suppose). CNG has taken to describing them as "Struck during the reign of Philip I and II." The capricorn most likely refers to Legio IIII Scythia (the capricorn was their official symbol), stationed in the area keeping the Parthians at bay since the time of Marc Antony.

Anyway, I came across a dealer with 7 of them. Here are four (I just haven't imaged the others, but they are comparable)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gotta love big gnarly provincial bronzes amirite? Some of them have countermarks recorded by Howgego: an eagle and an anchor.

Let's see your coins of Zeugma, or any ancient coin that attempts visual perspective.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Cool! I like the countermarks!

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Overall, the best of these are the Philip Zeugma issues but there are others . Mine is Antoninus Pius. It is also a die clash which explains my photo making no sense here.
    pc0248bb3204.jpg

7Calbrey, Marsyas Mike, Ryro and 6 others like this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

6. R*L

R*L Well-Known Member

Great coins indeed, thanks for sharing. I love these efforts at perspective.

@John Anthony, you may find this post apposite!

7. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I really like the second one down with the c/mark, looks like Philip II?
    Pius Zeugma.jpg
    Antoninus Pius Zeugma
    Antoninus Pius, 138 - 161 AD
    AE Diassarion, Commagene, Zeugma Mint, 23mm, 10.26 grams
    Obverse: Laureate head of Antoninus right.
    Reverse: Tetrastyle temple on hill with structures at base and up either side and a path going up, A in right field.
    RPC Online 5752
    The second known example, the other in the Biblioteque Nationale.
    103265-1 (2) - Copy.jpeg
    Zeugma, Philip II,
    Philip II, Zeugma, Commagene, 29mm, countermark (eagle), SNG Copenhagen 35.
    103265 (550x254).jpg
    Zeugma, Commagene
    Zeugma, Commagene, Syria. Philip I Ae 29mm

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

9. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

While I agree with this interpretation, I have a very worn example of one of Antoninus Pius. There is not enough detail left to know for sure, but the wavy outline suggests that my example was intended to depict a temple on a hill.
    AntoninusPius.jpg
    (24mm, 9.9g)

7Calbrey, Marsyas Mike, TIF and 4 others like this.
  10. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

There is a lot of similarities between the Pius/Philip Zeugma and these Elagabalus Samaria Mt. Gerizim type with structures at the bottom of mountain and stairs with structures up the sides of the stairs (not visible on mine but clear on the Pius Gerizim type, and the coin at the bottom of this post) also note the paths leading to the altar to the right of the temple. 5Zwpce4NDJf9xR72Mzp2r64GbB8bF3.jpg Judaea, Neapolis. Elagabalus, AD 218-222. Ae 21.5mm, 10.3gm. Mount Gerizim surmounted by temple and altar, stairway to temple and colonnade below mountain. Pius Zeugma.jpg Antoninus Pius, 138 - 161 AD
    AE Diassarion, Commagene, Zeugma Mint, 23mm, 10.26 grams
    Obverse: Laureate head of Antoninus right.
    Reverse: Tetrastyle temple on hill with structures at base and up either side and a path going up, A in right field.
    RPC Online 5752
    [​IMG]
    Sale: CNG 67, Lot: 1157. Estimate $300.
    Closing Date: Wednesday, 22 September 2004.
    Sold For $250. This amount does not include the buyer’s fee.

SAMARIA, Neapolis. Elagabalus. 218-222 AD. Æ 21mm (9.72 gm). Laureate and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind; square countermark on neck / Mt. Gerizim showing the temple in perspective, altar, stair, colonnade, roadway, and shrines in the face of the rock. Rosenberger 39; SNG ANS 1003; BMC Palestine pg. 60, 95. VF, red-brown patina. ($300)

A fine representation of the sacred mount of the Samaritans.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  11. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Here's mine, which I believe to be PII, with a more rare left-facing capricorn:

[​IMG]
    Philip II, 247-249 AD
    AE29, Commagene, Zeugma
    Obverse:
    AVTOK K M IOYΛI ΦIΛIΠΠOC CЄB, Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
    Reverse: ZЄYΓM-ATЄΩN, Tetrastyle temple, draped figure within, atop peribolos containing grove of trees; in exergue, capricorn to left.
    References: BMC 35-9 var (capricorn right); SNG Copenhagen 35 var (same)
    Size: 29mm, 15.8g

12. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has a stack of these, I bought one from him. I believe this is Philip II. AE Philippus II as emperor, Zeugma. Rev. Temple on hill. 28 mm, 16.18 gr. Sear 3954.

3299 Z Phil ii co.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted