Zeu sKatebatou - Commodus RPC

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Agricantus, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Agricantus

Agricantus Allium aflatunense

This is a coin from a recent @John Anthony auction. It has a wonderful patina and very good 3D feel, including thickness; better than a picture can convey (reusing John's picture, my phone camera doesn't do the coin any justice). I like the detail and sharpness around Commodus' eye, too.

commodus_cyrrhus.jpg

Æ23, 9.6g, Syria, Cyrrhestica
    Obv: ΑΥΤΟ ΚΑΙ Λ ΑΥΡΗΛ ΚΟΜΜΟΔΟΣ ΣΕΒ
    Rev: ΔΙΟΣ ΚΑΤΕΒΑΤΟΥ ΚΥΡΡΗΣΤΩΝ

There is something else interesting related to this coin: Aristophanes & the 'scatological pun' (see this link for a good summary). I imagine the ancient folks pronouncing ΔΙΟ ΣΚΑΤΕΒΑΤΟΥ and getting a good laughter. Oh, btw, is that a pile of poop on the reverse?

Please post if you have coins with katebatou/kataibatou legend.

ancientone, Pellinore, Bing and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

That coin is a splash hit!

GerardV likes this.
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Neat coin!

I know you're joking, particularly as you mention a pile of poop on the reverse, but it's unlikely a native Greek speaker would ever make a bracketing error such as you propose. This is because Διός is the genitive case form of Ζεύς and there is no word Διo without the final sigma that would make any sense in context,* so it's next to impossible to take καταιβάτης as σκαταιβάτης, even though a few words begin with σκατ-.

Moreover, καταιβάτης, meaning "descending in thunder and lightning," was a well-known epithet of Zeus, being attested in the following texts: Ar.Pax42, Clearch.9, Lyc.1370, IG2.1659b, 12(3).1360 (Thera), 1093 (Melos), BCH50.245 (Thasos), Ἀρχ.Ἐφ.1924.146 (Thess.), Paus.5.14.10, Corn.ND9.

Everyone would take the reverse inscription as ΔΙΟC ΚΑΤΕΒΑΤΟΥ ΚΥΡΡΗCΤΩΝ, "of Zeus descending in thunder and lightning of the Cyrrhestians."

*διό means "wherefore, on which account, etc."

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Alegandron likes this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL!

Nope, not taking @Roman Collector ’s explanation. His Avatar is Roman, his name is Roman Collector, ergo, he cannot go on speaking Greek. :) I like Agricantus’ story better and the pile. Yep, gonna stick to that story! :D

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  6. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Certainly, only a great god can create such a large pile.

7. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

You guys are full of it! :bag:

I have a Ant. Pius and Verus from Cyrrus but not as nice as yours @Agricantus!

Roman Collector and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted