ZAR 2 Shilling 1895

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Bifter, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Bifter

Bifter Member

My first post! Hello to everyone!

I have a coin collection from when I was a kid and I'm having a big clear out. I've sorted out several coins that may be worth a few quid and I'll post the rest here in due course, but I wanted to start with this one.

ZAR2Shilling2.jpg ZAR2Shilling1.jpg

I'm confused by gradings etc and have no idea what this coin is worth. I've seen it go on eBay for less than £4:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/South-African-2-shillings-1895-/320640395086?pt=UK_Coins_World_RL&hash=item4aa7a8274e

And I've seen it go for more than £1200:

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/2861...gh_grade_for_the_scarcest_ZAR_2_Start_R1.html

Here's what I gleaned from one Web site about this coin:

I reckon this example is worth something but how much? Your advice is appreciated.[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Condition is everything when determining a value. I have worn scarce coins that are worth little but in high grades they can run into the thousands.

4. Bifter

Bifter Member

5. calumsherwood

calumsherwood New Member

welcome to cointalk bifter. can i assume that as you are giving values in pounds you are from the uk?

6. Bifter

Bifter Member

That's right, I've responded to your post in Introductions. Might I be better cross-posting this in the World and Ancient Coins forum?

7. calumsherwood

calumsherwood New Member

its best not to double post. im sure some one who knows more about the coin will see the post where ever it is. just remember alot of the people on this forum are from america and it is still around 3-4 am over there

8. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

It looks like you have something there. I would give it a US grade of VF+. I found that an 1895 2 shillings in a similar condition in a PCGS holder sold in a South African auction for 4500 rands, or about 400 pounds! If you get your coin certified, you'll probably have a better chance of selling it.

Take a look here:
    http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/21866551/1895_SOUTH_AFRICA_2_SHILLINGS_GRADED_PCGS_VF_35.html

9. Bifter

Bifter Member

@Collector1966

Thanks. That put a smile on my face! :D

I've enquired about getting PCGS grading, looks like it would be around £40 all told (apparently they go to Paris), which would be a bit of a dent on top of auction site fees, PayPal fees, etc. The trade off is the likelihood of a higher sale of course! Will weigh up my options.

10. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

The thing is, I have a South African 2 shillings piece myself-- but it is 1896, not 95, and it is worth little more than its silver value. What a difference a year can make!

Anyway, good luck with your coin. :)

11. Bifter

Bifter Member

I've submitted a classified ad on CoinQuest for this item. Fingers crossed!

Draft saved Draft deleted