Yup, I knocked-off another one of the dirty dozen!! => *G*A*L*B*A*

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by stevex6, Apr 25, 2015.

1. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

... that cool Otho has been tooled?

:oops:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I tried to argue with a colleague in Romania once. He said the 12 caesars beagn with Augustus and ends with Nerva to be technically correct. I could never convince him. He also argued when we were drunk on Polinka that it was the people of Romania who taught Latin to the Romans. Of course, Polinka will make you say and do almost anything. Ok, anything.

4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

It's late in the afternoon, so at the moment I am only concerned about collecting the "Two Caesars"

=> A Caesar Salad and a Vodka & Clamato Caesar chaser!!

caesar salad.jpg caesar drink.png

Gao and TIF like this.
  5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Maybe not, but to me it looks like there was some tooling around the bust, then it was filled in with dirt. I'm not saying a coin can't look like that naturally, but I've seen so many tooled bronzes like this that I just won't touch them anymore. I find it annoying in the extreme that dealers think they have to "improve" their coins beyond a light cleaning.

6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> I'm with ya on that one ... for example, I don't feel that my OP coin hasn't been attacked too drastically?

7. John Anthony

The seafood version of a Bloody Mary? Ugh, I'm sorry, but that sounds disgusting.

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> get on board man, Clamato juice would have been all the rage in Syracuse, my friend!!

Calabria Tarentum b.jpg

dlhill132 likes this.
  9. John Anthony

The patina is slightly chipped on the reverse, but otherwise I see nothing wrong with the coin. And I don't even think the chips are that serious. I would be more than happy to own that coin.

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

MiniWWVCDthumbsup.jpg

Mine is going to be more like a Caesar Salad collection. Find Caesars, toss lightly. :)

(Apparently Steve and I think alike. Should I be scared?)

stevex6 likes this.
  11. John Anthony

A friend of mine from Prague brought some back when he visited Hungary and it messed us up. It was fun while it lasted, but the hangover was intense.

stevex6 likes this.
  12. John Anthony

Here's a 12 Caesars challenge: assemble a set of coins, imperial and/or provincial that do NOT have any portraits of the emperors. (I'm not even sure it's possible.)

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

winning team.jpg

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

TIF likes this.
  14. Bing

It's some good stuff.

15. Bing

YES!

stevex6 likes this.
  16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sure, you may say "YES" but we both know that you wanna be on our team, my grumpy ol' friend!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::mad:

... we're lookin' for a guy like you on our cool team!!

17. Bing

Does it pay well?

18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> absolutely not ... and it is slightly dangerous at times

hard work.png

... but there is a free LRB for the dude that can roll the big rock up to our clubhouse

Bing and TIF like this.
  19. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Nice tetradrachm.

I find it interesting that the mint of Alexandria was able to produce tetradrachms of all four of the emperors from the "Year of Four Emperors": Galba, Otho, Vitellius, and Vespasian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_of_the_Four_Emperors

That's quite a turnaround of production for any mint.:cool:

Although I don't collect coins, I do have a special place in my heart for tetradrachms. So, I do like to accumulate inexpensive tetradrachms. Fortunately, many of the Galba tetradrachms are relatively inexpensive.

Galbao.jpg Galbar.jpg

guy

Bing, John Anthony, TIF and 1 other person like this.
  20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

pretty cool coin ...

=> thanks for posting, Bart

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Low grade ones may not be expensive but nice ones are hard to find. Mine is not nice but chance allowed the few remaining letters to spell Galba. Galba and Otho tets are unusual in that the date is on the obverse (here LA) and the reverse is described by legend (here PO---MH). I have not seen the Vitellius in person but photos show he went back to the Nero style dated reverses.
    gi0160bb0214.jpg

Bing and stevex6 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted