Yup, I knocked-off another one of the dirty dozen!! => *G*A*L*B*A*

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by stevex6, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Your should make an offering to Diana.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Don't have any Galba. Have never really been in search of the 12 either. Suprising really given how easily distracted I become from my focus areas.

Mikey Zee, stevex6 and Ancientnoob like this.
  4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Well, I did start building a 'shrine' to her and Fortune...perhaps I made one or the other jealous---or just pissed them both off??!!??:jawdrop:

TIF and stevex6 like this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> Hi Oki ... I have bought coins from Lucernae Coins, but this particular desert Claudius was not one of 'em (this dirty ol' desert dawg came from a dude in Spain, Aeter Nitas-Numismatics)

Curious? => why do you ask, my friend?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

AJ and others => thanks for your opinions on collecting-strategy ... it is refreshing to hear that my multi-metal-approach is somewhat accepted ...

Ummm, for the record, my attempt at collecting the 12 Caesars is "not" one of my primary goals ... it is merely just another one of my random side-avenues ... for whatever reason I stumbled across a neat Galba example and then almost wet my pants when I discovered how much it was going for!! (after searching on and off for a week or so, I decided that my big black Galba As was the fitting coin to place next to the rest of my motley crew)

Thanks again for your comments => oh, and please continue to post any relevant coins (I absolutely love checking-out what my coin-friends are buyin'!!)

7. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

Great coin Steve!

@IdesOfMarch01 is doing one of each denomination if I remember correctly.

Here is my Galba!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

dlhill132, Eng, Bing and 4 others like this.
  8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ooooh Manitoba, that's a sweet version of my OP Coin (thanks for posting your sweetie)

... oh, and obviously I was sorry that your Jets were eliminated (last night, my Canucks coughed-up a 3-0 lead and lost 4-7 ... how does that even happen?!!)

anyway => back to coins ... thanks again for posting

Have a great Sunday

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  9. 712

712 Constatutionalist, U.S.N. Viet Nam vet 66'

TIF and stevex6 like this.
  10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I agree with others about a mixed-metal set of 12 Caesars - I think eclectic is more interesting. It gets even more eclectic if you're willing to include imperial and provincial issues.

stevex6 likes this.
  11. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Awesome coin Steve, love the new Galba, i have your twin.
    I now have 11 of the 12 Bronze Caesars. need Otho..

Galba..68-69.AD.
    Ae, dupondius..
    R. Libertas.. S - C
    26mm x 11.08g.

MA and Galba 003_opt.jpg
    MA and Galba 004_opt.jpg

dlhill132, zumbly, TIF and 4 others like this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The sad part of the 12 Caesars set is that there are no bronze Otho except for a few rather uninteresting Provincials. Considering the spectacular sestertii of all of the other guys from 68-69 we really wish there were. I have some sympathy for the idea of using a Paduan sestertius of Otho which looks good with the set. Of course the selection of Caesar in large bronze is nothing too great either.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Yup and thus my bronze set will probably never be completed.

14. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

15. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I was surprised to learn of the absence of bronzes for Otho---except the Antioch issues...At least now I wont waste a lot of time searching for them LOL

Ancientnoob likes this.
  16. Bing

Ancientnoob and Mikey Zee like this.
  17. Pishpash

Sorry Bing, I don't get it, maybe because I am a Brit?

Ancientnoob likes this.
  18. John Anthony

It was an American sitcom, Sanford and Son. Whenever Fred Sanford got some shocking news, he would hold his heart, as if he were having a heart attack, and say, "Elizabeth, I'm coming to see you." Elizabeth was his deceased wife.

Obviously Bing is shocked at the fact that that coin has been tooled.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  19. Bing

Yeah. Yeah, that's it. It certainly wouldn't be the $600. Remember, I'm cheap!

20. Pishpash

I didn't look at the price. I rarely do for Otho!

21. John Anthony

If it weren't for Tranquillus' De vita Caesarum, would the 12 Caesars even be a thing? If he had stopped with Vespasian, would we be aiming for the 10 Caesars? If he had started with Augustus, would we be looking for the 11 Caesars?

Gao, Mikey Zee and TIF like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted