Yuan Shih-Kai Big Head Dollar (China) 1914 3rd Year

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by UbiFluxus, Jul 26, 2017.

1. UbiFluxus

UbiFluxus New Member

Hi all,

I have had this coin since I was a little boy. My granddad gave it to me. It had a lovely even greyish blue patina across the whole coin. When I saw my mum cleaning the silver I thought I was doing the right thing by giving it a scrub, but when I saw my granddad the next time he was not impressed. Lesson learned. It's now a cleaned coin, but that aside I think it's still a good coin? So far I know it's silver (non-magnetic), weighs just under or just over 27g, has the larger dentil reverse 9 o'clock, so I know, or at least am pretty sure it's real, because it's so old that I think back then the silver value was the same if not more the face value and collectors value picked up much later when it might be argued it makes "sense" to use real silver. So let's assume this one is real.
    I think this is a common version, but I have looked into the PCGS MS markings out there for this coin (which I believe to be a Y-329???). I found one that is MS 66 that sold for 14k dollars at auction and looking at actual examples of an MS 66 grade I would say mine is also around MS 66? Also, mine seems to be struck with a lot more care than some of the ones I have seen. The edge reeding around the faces have a very evenly spaced ring? (Does that mean much?) Would someone out there please enlighten me whether what I have got here is something valuable (albeit maybe not special, just very very good condition??) I look forward hearing your opinions on this.

Best,
    P

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted