You've heard of a coin spill... But what about a coin dump?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GH#75, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Just check them first is all I'm saying. You'd really be upset if you cleaned a 1972DD in that fashion. :)

spirityoda, GH#75 and Kentucky like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

OMG...then they would be worth only one cent... :)

4. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Yeah. I'll check. But we're not done finding them. Found another area right next to the first where we found 50 more.

5. Collecting Nut

The previous owners had young kids and they had just watched Pirates of The Caribbean. That's buried pirate treasure!

Randy Abercrombie, Garlicus and GH#75 like this.
  6. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

You said 'fireplace area' - could someone in the past have been burning trash in that area, and these are just random cents from the trash? Don't really look burnt though... :panda:

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I still pick up change I find in parking lots. Coins add up. It might just be a cent to some, but to me it is like free money and good luck that I happen to see it and grab it. My father still throws all his coin change in a large jar and cashes it in at the end of the year. I am always shocked at the total amount he has saved for the whole year.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  8. GH#75

Lol, I don't think so. I think they just decided to dump all their junky pennies over there because they didn't care too much about them. Also, the previous owner was a bit crazy... The owner had 5 bloodthirsty German Shepards. The limit is suppose to be 3. But the city didn't care too much because "she was a vet" (animal vet) and therefore she was good with animals. Right? Wrong. We have heard stories of the German Shepard's roaming around terrifying the neighbor's. These dogs have been known to kill other dogs. One story was of a guy who was trying to carry his dog away from them, and one of them jumped up and grabbed the dog out of his hands and shook it wildly, probably trying to kill it. The dog survived though thankfully.

9. GH#75

Another story includes a Repo guy who was coming to pick up one of the crazy Ladies cars. The guy was big and had a gun, and he was coming up to our front door. Kinda scary, right? Well, he turned out to be a pretty nice guy. He said he brought the gun because of the dogs. The lady moved out of our house, and into another a block or so away. So we told the guy where he could find her. Well, the guy came back to thank us, and said that, "The outside of the car actually looked pretty nice. But the inside... It smelled like death."
    And that was because two of the German Shepards had been LIVING in there. Not being let out much. So the inside was filled with.... Crap. And we don't know what the house looked like, but it had 3 in it, so...
    Another thing... This lady would take her sniper rifle and aim the red lazer at peoples heads when they came up to the house. :nailbiting:

10. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Sounds like a few pennies on the ground is very sane for them.

11. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

:D

GH#75 and Inspector43 like this.
  12. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Maybe that's where the dogs pooped and coin dump was literal.

Garlicus, Kentucky and wxcoin like this.
  13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

My wife and I would regularly go for walks in the surrounding neighborhoods when visiting my parents. One night, I saw something on the sidewalk across the street. As I got closer, I realized that it was a pile of cents -- at least a roll's worth.

I looked at my wife, and said "Nope, I know a Jeff trap when I see one."

14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Dear god. She sounds nuts. Hey it’s a find. I’d roll em up and take em to the bank for a little extra cash

spirityoda and GH#75 like this.
  15. Collecting Nut

You turned down free money?

16. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

When I was twenty, I was a missionary for our church. One of my areas was in the center of Uruguay where there was a "tribe?" of "guwantone" (that's phonetic. I never did learn how to spell it.) Indians. Whenever there were marriages, the indians would take over money, cookware, houseware, and many other things. The money was usually put into a container and buried close to the base of the house. This was meant for good luck. Many of the young ones moved away and whatever was buried, was quickly found and spent by other younger ones.

17. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

If the pennies were arranged to form a pentagram then I'd be worried about what else I'd dig up.

spirityoda and Garlicus like this.
  18. CREATIVECRHUNTER

CREATIVECRHUNTER Well-Known Member

And, one would get you a piece of
    bubble gum!

Inspector43 likes this.
  19. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

It's people who aren't good at fractions and decimals. They still haven't figured out if they collect 100 cents they have a dollar.

I have seen people walk out of convenience stores and throw change on the ground. I feel no shame in immediately picking it up and giving them a "are you stupid" look.

I have never taken any of my pocket change back to the bank. I just throw it in a jar. Then separate in denomination later. The last time I counted I had somewhere ~$1-2k in loose change. A decent amount of that is probably from nickel/dime/quarter poker games, but it's still a testament that, in time, those .01's, .05's, .10's, and .25's start adding up into usable quantities of money.

One of my bosses used to get super pissed (like next level hate) at our owner because the owner would eat the fractions from our hours and pay. He would be losing like .005 cent an hour and it would make him foam at the mouth.

spirityoda, Garlicus and GH#75 like this.
  20. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

A kinder and gentler alternative is to use some aquarium gravel (rounded type) and a squirt of dishwashing liquid in the water - less scratches and just as 'clean' - crusty copper coins that you plan to keep (IHC, etc.) do better with crushed walnut shell tumbler media - that's what shell reloaders use to clean old brass casings.

21. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Yikes, she should have been locked up - that's called menacing, a criminal offense :eek:
    Menacing or brandishing is a criminal offense in many U.S. states generally defined as displaying a weapon with the intent of placing another person in fear of imminent physical injury or death.

GH#75 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted