Featured YouTube Numismatic Misinformation: What You Need To Know

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 1916D10C, Jan 7, 2019.

1. schepys_coins

schepys_coins Eric's Best Friend

no the people that he is trying to scam for seeing if a coin is rare or not they can just come to cointalk and get better advise for free

Bayern and 1916D10C like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

And some free abuse, too.

4. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

Hey, y'all have abused me and I'm still here!

Insider likes this.
  5. CoinCorgi

Is that a challenge? lol

1916D10C likes this.
  6. 1916D10C

You've already tried! I don't get offended, I just clap back! lol

:hurting::hurting::hurting::hungover::dead:

7. CoinCorgi

I'll try harder. Maybe.

1916D10C likes this.
  8. Igor

Igor Member

Is blue ridge silver hounds channel honest?

9. 1916D10C

Take a look at his clickbait thumbnails.

My answer would be a resounding NO.

IIRC, he also had "bullion investing" advice.

ETA: Just did some digging, yeaaaaah, nah. Nah. AlI I needed to do was to take a look at his Mercury Dime video, just another charlatan pulling pics off of Google and Heritage. Also implied Numismatics is an investment, which we all know is not.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Sherie likes this.
  10. Igor

Igor Member

Thanks for letting me know. But are there any channels you recommend?

11. 1916D10C

The ANA has a good channel. Based on their history alone, I'd say they're reputable.

Igor likes this.
  12. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

CoinWeek

mlov43 likes this.
  13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The PCGS one actually has some good grading stuff. Coinweek/ANA ect all reputable but the ANA specifically the content is kind of hard to stay awake with. All things like that can have some good stuff as long as its not just an ad type thing.

Bayern, Nyatii and 1916D10C like this.
  14. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I couldn't believe my eyes! There were these two guys who were wheeling two of those large paint buckets—not sure how many gallons they are—each in its own shopping cart, into Walmart for the coin star, just as I was leaving. I made a detour over to look at their buckets, and each was, sure enough, filled to the brim with every denomination of common coin there is. They used a large metal scoop to get the coins out of the buckets and did not seem as if they wanted to divulge where all of those coins might have come from. I wouldn't want to venture a guess as to how many coins there were, but it took both of them to lift one of the buckets, so it was a lot. At the rate they were working, I figured that they might be there a half-hour or so, maybe even longer.

I don't know if they had any white dimes in there either. I thought I might ask them if they remembered seeing a 1916-D dime in their bucket, but that might have blown my cover.

15. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

5 Gallons

LA_Geezer likes this.
  16. Blake Davis

Blake Davis Well-Known Member

I remember as a kid seeing the 1804 silver dollar advertisements, telling us that some ship sank with all of them, and offering $50,000 for any. Of course the ad was just that, an ad. I still remember it so it must have been effective!

17. Lincolns_Lady

Lincolns_Lady New Member

Although I do agree with your post and the intent of the implied message your sharing... I do however happen to think that JB'sCoinsInc is quite knowledgeable & is not flashy, nor a phony- and does not fall within the ranks of the You Tubers you have listed within your post. Truth be told it’s hard to find any local communities are groups or even reputable Coin shops for the ‘Newbie Numi’ to refer too for guidance in those questions that internet searches and self guided research can ‘touch’ with the proper clarity they seek. This numismatic path is a complex one. The path is a game of sorts- one that is so very enriched by its associated & splendid historical facts and foundries that to expect it to pave its own future Without being accessible to the new learner is like Demanding A child to figure out how to read by reading the book himself. All that being said please reevaluate JB coins and consider him as a reputable resource rather than a ranting scripted salesman in dressed in Cooper clothing -while a fixated message rolls off a silver tounge that is hunting for numbers. So rather than going for the gold by way of breaking the mold and sharing knowledge freely and truthfully for what it truly IS versus their ‘what can it do for me, and me alone, in the now’ mentality. That is where it is up to us to act as a community by supporting Teachers of the art who are there and available for the late night Google search for ‘what is a wheat cent?’ by the curious newbie. And yes-I do realize that JB Does offer His self-marketed and created tools and suggested Supplies -what have you -all Within his YouTube channel. Coin collecting is not a cheap hobby and The further you delve the more you understand the relation between investing smart and the long term yield that quality brings. Let’s not forget : Time is money. And because he spends so much time Teaching others and without all ‘The WooHa’ junk information like most.. Then I should expect him to be compensated if the viewer feels compelled To Take advantage of the products he offers. I assure you that it would be done out of a respecting and trustful Relationship that developed while watching and following his videos, As he is very quiet and sparse in the amount of advertising he delves into. Thank you!

AlynnLeigh and LA_Geezer like this.
  18. Lincolns_Lady

Lincolns_Lady New Member

Apparently ...I need to watch a YouTube video in order to learn how to properly reply to a forum post without making myself look foolish with multiple segments posted in error. Wink wink. Although I do apologize

AlynnLeigh likes this.
  19. 1916D10C

Regarding JB'sCoins. Have you looked at his clickbait thumbnails? That's all you need to know.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Sherie likes this.
  20. 1916D10C

You see @Lincolns_Lady , people who are not legitimate experts have no business establishing themselves as such and profiting from the misinformation they provide. I'm no expert, I'll gladly admit it, and many others here aren't either. However, we are not charging people to send us coin photos to appraise them. We don't take photos off Google and narrate a video to make profit from click and ad revenue.

Sherie likes this.
  21. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The forums essentially do that though.

The real issue should be quality of information. Forums use what is said to make money off it so I have no problem with someone cutting out the middle man if the information is helpful/good

AlynnLeigh and Sherie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted