Featured YouTube Numismatic Misinformation: What You Need To Know

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 1916D10C, Jan 7, 2019.

1. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

Yale has a set on YouTube. I can PM you a link if you'd like.

And as a side note, maybe you would like these channels?

Coin Week
    FUN Convention TV
    Heritage Auctions

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think you're missing my point. There are lots of people seeking information, and they can be easily led astray. There isn't always someone around to "clue them in". No offense, but you've only been here a few months. We've had countless people try to pawn off their BS over the years. Yes, we have authorities in the field here as well, but they have their jobs and families to tend to and don't spend every waking moment on "sentry duty".

Chris

1916D10C likes this.
  4. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

I understand what you're getting at now, Chris. You have a valid point but it is good to vocally warn the newcomers to the best of our ability. Of course there will always be those led astray.

And, not to brag, but I have been active in the Numismatic community for over 10 years now, and I was a member here in about 2011-2012. I simply rejoined last year. You probably would remember me by my former username.

5. BoonTheGoon

BoonTheGoon Grade A mad lad

Ah yes, the youtube "coin" community. I found a friend looking at some of those channels when getting into coins. I lent them my red book instead and made sure they stayed away from errors and instead focused on better things. But alas to no avail many others will still be fooled by such people.

1916D10C likes this.
  6. BoonTheGoon

BoonTheGoon Grade A mad lad

Even I went down that rabbit hole when just getting into coins. But I tried to show an "error" to my grand dad and he told me not to listen to silly people.

7. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

It doesn't matter. They'll all be Chinese soon enough.

8. V. Kurt Bellman

No thank you. I prefer "dead tree" books. And that's from a guy who owns THREE iPads of various vintages.

Nyatii likes this.
  9. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

So if those bums started seeing knowledgeable and informed people on YouTube, according to you they would stop trying to sell their crap? Sounds like that's what you're saying.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

No, there are just too many "channels" on BoobTube and it is easy enough for them to get away with it. What I'm saying is that the presence of known professionals would mislead the uneducated collectors into thinking that what everyone says is okay.

Chris

V. Kurt Bellman and 1916D10C like this.
  11. V. Kurt Bellman

NOT taking YouTube channels allows the “real” numismatists to NOT pollute our message. Since when did amateurishness become okay with everyone on the Internet? It’s NOT okay with me, and it won’t ever be. My kid doesn’t “follow” ANY Internet “influencers”. His high school didn’t allow Internet “sources” for paper writing, either. They were expected to do “old school” research. Some couldn’t hack it and got crummy grades.

cpm9ball and 1916D10C like this.
  12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That the tactics used in some of those videos aren't unique to youtube and you can see many of the same things happening on the show floor especially at regional and local shows depending what dealers are there.

Sounds exactly like a coin show with all the people telling me what real money is and doing me a favor trying to sell me metals before the price skyrockets since it can only go up ect ect.

My point was really that the whole people could be mislead into thinking what everyone says is okay applies to everything and every venue, that isn't unique to YouTube.

13. baseball21

Banning things like Wiki as a source yes that makes sense, but it's just silly to ban internet/digital sources entirely leaving them at the at the mercy of local libraries considering that the vast majority of books have all been digitized and there are countless legitimate "internet" resources and data bases of books, trials, studies ect. All that rule did was shut them off from information.

It's also a really dumb rule because you can always just find the actual thing online and cite it like the hard copy version when you are reading it right from the source

John Skelton likes this.
  14. V. Kurt Bellman

Well, @baseball21, the people responsible for the Newman Numismatic Portal gave a talk at the PAN show and they STILL are having trouble getting the rights to lots of numismatic material to be digitized, and they were asking individuals to "pressure" organizations. The best stuff is NEVER online, OR behind a stout paywall, in my profession. I realize you are a 'net ideologue. Consider me the exact opposite.

15. baseball21

Never said that everything was online but I can guarantee you more is online that is at the local library. Legal, medical, science ect all of that has tons that are online and unless you are going to travel around the country to each individual courthouse that's the best you will get but even now the majority of courthouses are digitizing everything that is considered public information. Either way there is stuff far more than you would get at your local library

16. V. Kurt Bellman

Yeahhhh, no. I work at a state capitol building. The library is immense. That, and as an alumnus, I have library privileges at a college that's 232 years old, and includes Benjamin Franklin's library. That last section requires gloves. And it includes access to the U. of Penn. library in Philly, as a bonus. (affiliate school)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  17. baseball21

And there's still more information on the internet than both of those combined.

Not everything is specifically about you. What works for you or what you can do does not apply to 99+ percent of people as you obviously have extra access with your political connections

18. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Hey hey hey! Don't get personal :) lol

1916D10C and baseball21 like this.
  19. baseball21

Lol I wasn't. Was just saying that the value of the internet and information contained on it isn't determined by what one person has access too in person

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  20. V. Kurt Bellman

And that includes coins in the hand, as well.

21. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Sorry, I'm with baseball on this one. Even though much is not online, there is enough to make a valuable resource. As an amateur genealogist, I've been grateful that so much is. Also, you can't get great information from so many experts so easily as you can here...on the internet!

Draft saved Draft deleted