Featured YouTube Numismatic Misinformation: What You Need To Know

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 1916D10C, Jan 7, 2019.

1. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I've got the ANA record somewhere that lists the medals and their mintages for the various medals that were produced. I can't remember the last year of the list, but according to that list, 3-medal sets (38mm Bronze, 38mm Silver, 19mm Bronze) were only issued from 1969 to 1982. Yes, some medals were issued individually, but the 19mm Bronze was only issued as part of a 3-medal set. Perhaps it is possible that the ANA resumed some 3-medal sets sometime after I stopped acquiring these, but I have no knowledge of it.

Chris
    That is the one that got me started collecting these!

Here is another of my favorites.
    Chris_ANA_1980LGbronze_MS68.jpg
    Chris_ANA_1980LGsilver_MS69.jpg

Chris_ANA_1980SMbronze_MS68.jpg

Chris

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Even though I have my issues with the ANA I do love these medals and think they have a beautiful design.

1916D10C likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

With the exception of one year, all of these were produced by Medallic Art Co.

Chris

5. baseball21

Which seems to now be part of MedalCraft Mint?

6. cpm9ball

It was my understanding that they merged with Northwest Territorial Mint.

Chris

7. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Don't think so, I do know the Medalcraft BRAND is still going.

8. baseball21

I just tried to look them up and it sent me to MedalCraft. I may have had the wrong link though

9. V. Kurt Bellman

Red Rose uses Keystone Mint to make our medals. They are the staff that had been at Franklin Mint when they went out of coins.

10. cpm9ball

According to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medallic_Art_Company

MACO was acquired by Northwest Territorial Mint in 2009.

Chris

11. V. Kurt Bellman

And yet MACO is still the brand on the ANA's exhibiting medals, and the annual convention medals. Hmm.

12. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

13. baseball21

1916D10C likes this.
  14. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

Gorgeous, Chris! Again, the Silver looks the nicest to my eye, with great definition and "pop". Thanks for sharing!

15. Tim Lackie Jr

Tim Lackie Jr Active Member

Great Post! I watched a video from someone on the list and they kept calling die chips cuds. As a "converted" numismatist from sports cards for a few years now, I can from my experience tell you if you collect what you like as compared to trying to get rich, It is a more worthwhile hobby. Thank you!

16. 1916D10C

One thing I will say, getting back on topic, I definitely agree and see where Baseball21 is coming from in regards to it would be immensely helpful if the TPG's and established experts in the Numismatic field were more active on Youtube.

It would be a breath of fresh air if they had a Numismatic resource collection of videos, and would put a lot of the nonsense to rest.

PCGS has some good videos, I was watching a few some time ago about the D. Brent Pogue collection. I just wish they had a resource of the basics.

Bayern, baseball21 and lordmarcovan like this.
  17. cpm9ball

1916D10C likes this.
  18. cpm9ball

I don't think so! It would only add "purported" credibility to the bums that try to pawn their crap onto uninformed and unsuspecting readers. You don't find these bums trying to pawn their crap on sites where knowledgeable people exist because they just won't stand for it.

Chris

1916D10C likes this.
  19. baseball21

Completely agree. PCGS seems to have cooled off on that avenue a little over the last year and I hope they and others pick it back up again as well as expand into the other venues. There is and has been a huge educational/marketing for expansion potential that comes with minimal cost to the ones doing it. Many individuals have realized this and made vibrant numismatic venues such as IG but they don't have the same clout as some leadership organizations.

Plenty of those types are members of "respected" numismatic organizations

1916D10C likes this.
  20. cpm9ball

Yes, we've had our share of them show up here, but they don't usually last very long.

Chris

21. 1916D10C

I think if the likes of David Hall, @Insider , and other authorities in the field who legitimately know what the hell they're doing posted Numismatic resource videos, I think that it would silence the aforementioned bums Chris speaks of.

Also, I don't think many of the bums are members of respected Numismatic organizations. Do you mind elaborating who you're referring to Baseball?

People with the likes of "CouchCollectibles" and such would be completely laughed out of the ANA or any respected society, in my honest opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted