Featured YouTube Numismatic Misinformation: What You Need To Know

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 1916D10C, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

It's like those old newspaper ads "It's not too late to send in your payment for $19.95, but hurry before this offer ends!" while they are not selling anything, just hoping people will send them money, and people DID send them money. :banghead:

1916D10C likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Good Cents likes this.
  4. 1916D10C

That really worked??? Geesh.

I'm still waiting for the day when someone starts charging $10K for a liter of air.

Good Cents likes this.
  5. 1916D10C

Also funny: Couch Collectibles shadow banned me on YouTube so nobody can see my comments warning the uninformed viewers. According to them I'm just a troll. Ah, shades of the good old days when I was far more outspoken than I am now.

Good Cents likes this.
  6. Good Cents

Yes, crazy as it is, it really worked!!

Until that day comes you can buy "Holy Air" from lots of Holy sites around the world. It's just a sealed can of air, but from ______ Holy Site (fill in the blank with the 3 largest (in terms of adherents) world religions and then the 20 largest after that, and their combined hundreds if not thousands of Holy sites). The hawkers abound because people pay. So, you can buy air. But not for 10k yet. But don't you worry, that offer will be on HSN soon enough! :woot:

1916D10C likes this.
  7. Good Cents

It doesn't look like much of a "them" but rather a kid doing this in his free time.

Of course he banned you! It's like standing in front of a shell game telling people the trick! Lucky for you, you can't get severely beaten up on YouTube! :blackeye:

But it does sound like you've done your share. Kuddos to you! I've tried as well. Sometimes people "can't handle the truth." Over the years I've tried to accept that some people just need the delusion, the "hope", for whatever it is, even if there is nothing there but a loss. Somehow their psyches, their minds, are reaching for that in lieu of reality and perhaps it's psychologically protecting them and the reality would be worse for them and they wouldn't be able to bear it. Who knows. And who am I to argue with people's delusion of choice? I'm sure I have my own, just different ones than theirs (and not "AS" delusional, Lol!). Sometimes people just aren't interested, strange as that may be.

1916D10C likes this.
  8. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

...or you can join his YT channel for only 4.99/mo. and get ripped off for useless 'perks' on a steady basis :D

$4.99/month
    JOIN
    Recurring payment. Cancel anytime. Creator may update perks from time to time. Learn more

Exclusive access to loyalty badges in comments and live chat

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Custom emoji like

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Exclusive Member-Only Live Streams (Monthly)
    You'll be able to join my MEMBER ONLY live streams!

Send Pictures of your Coins!
    You will have access to email up to 10 pictures of your coins and get my feedback!

Access to Member-Only Posts!
    Polls, Sneak Peaks, Behind the Scenes, and more!

Access to Custom Emojis for EVERY Live Stream!
    You'll be able to post custom emojis in the live chat on live streams.

NSP and 1916D10C like this.
  9. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Couch (Mr.) Potato (Head) has branched out into valuable/collectible yard sale coffee mugs (apparently stolen from restaurants) worth a fortune :p

Good Cents likes this.
  10. 1916D10C

Damn. Talk about research!

juris klavins likes this.
  11. CasualAg$

CasualAg$ Corvid Minions Collecting

People watching HSN and the like don’t understand “liter”. And if people will send you $20 for the asking (in just the right way), The YT community might be growing. $10K might be a bargain!

Still, I wish you hadn’t brought that idea to the internet. I know there are folks on the lower east side of NYC and in DC thinking about “modes of implementation” as I type.

1916D10C likes this.
  12. 1916D10C

I see Potato Head got an award from Youtube for 100K subscribers..... 100K folks that believe common coins are worth big bucks. Just serves to prove what Joseph Goebbels said was true- If you repeat a lie big enough and often enough, the masses, including yourself, will believe it!

CasualAg$ likes this.
  13. Good Cents

If people are paying a lot for them because they believe they have value, then they DO have value. It's the Cabbage Patch Doll effect, aka Marketing. Say it's worth a lot, people believe it's worth a lot, people pay a lot for it, and then it IS worth a lot! I may not be willing to pay for it, but if other people are, whose to say I shouldn't sell mine for a nice sum to some guy who believes it has lots of value?

The fraud and misinformation and the problem is at the BEGINNING when they are trying to convince people of things having value that don't in fact have that value. But once that ship has sailed and people are paying good money for whatever it is, who is to say it shouldn't be considered valuable anymore?

People say GOLD shouldn't have any value as it serves no purpose, differently than Diamonds, Silver, Platinum and Palladium which are all used in industry. They believe that gold has no purpose and should therefore have no value and that people who buy and save up gold are idiots and will regret it down the line. But people are paying lots of money for it, so it DOES have value. So there's no fraud and misinformation in buying and selling Gold.

There is only fraud and misinformation if there is no reality to the claims.

The guy that collects $100 and promises you that he will find that much and more from a few roles of coins - THAT is fraud and misinformation. Selling bars of soap and claiming there is money in them when you know there isn't - THAT is fraud and misinformation.

But sometimes there is a fine line. If you go through boxes and boxes of coins, you MAY just come across something worth a few dollars more than its face value. Sure, the odds are against you, but it has happened. Overstating the odds is what is misinformation.

My nephew got into legitimate coin collecting after his uncle gave him a book called "Strike it Rich With Pocket Change." It ignited his interest and he flew off from there into the real thing. But it started for him as a kid thinking he could strike it rich from pocket change. Kids are into cellphone addictions, video games, pranks, drugs, and this one was coin roll hunting at 14 and it grew into the legitimate side of the hobby. So, how bad was a book like that for him?

OTOH, an adult who doesn't view a book like that with skepticism is being a fool.

Anyway, we in all likelihood agree that the fraud and misinformation shouldn't be put out there and that people are preyed upon. Maybe the line at which that is crossed is different for each of us.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Sherie and 1916D10C like this.
  14. CasualAg$

CasualAg$ Corvid Minions Collecting

The Father of Modern Journalism, and Marketing, and possibly Science.
    And so much of America claims they hate Nazis....

15. Sherie

Sherie Member

I am new to coin collecting and yes am one of the many who got into it because of Utube.j&B were the first ones I watched and purchased into there scheming betrayal. I thought I would share my experience. I have seen the channels the original thread contained and as for J&B I agree they both are really nice people but in my personal experience they have lead me to many false beliefs and directed me in wrong places. I don’t argue that they don’t have knowledge of coins I’m sure they do. But through there stream I was lead to checking out quite a few coins I received. Through them misleading me I was sent here by a coin dealer. I only ask you to re-evaluate your opinion. If you are a fan and have received amazing coins from them congrats but on the other hand your probably a big spender and have paid well over worth for your coins.

Good Cents likes this.
  16. Sherie

Sherie Member

I second that although I got into coin collecting through Utube I’ve learned more accurate information here.

Good Cents likes this.
  17. Darchangel

Darchangel Active Member

Nothin like getting caught with your pants down at a vulnerable time in life. Wish I'd come here first....I KNOW BETTER! Ah well, could've been worse. I hope someone on this list had a nice din with my $20! At least I can say I was mindlessly and mildly entertained while keeping my brain off tragic and depressing shit.

Think I'll head to the bank and buy some dimes.

Thanks for keepin it real...and honest.

HH, all!

18. AlynnLeigh

AlynnLeigh New Member

1st time poster, having been originally drawn into Numismatics by way of U-tube coin sites after(too many)years of strictly 'bullion hoarding'. Upfront, my motivations are not at all those of a 'pure collector' but rather those of a nefarious 'coin flipper/dealer'. While enjoying the intellectual stimulation of numismatic research, monetization of the hobby is my main interest, as it is for most of the U-tube coin community.

Admittedly, that community is currently in the midst of a Wild,Wild West era in which originally informative & educational bloggers like Kevin Peavey(1MillionPennyProject) ,Dustin Morgan(CoinOpp), Ken Potter(VarietyVault) and others have found themselves forced to commercialize their content to a greater extent in order to compete for 'clicks' with all the livestreaming 'sales shows' which are the rage in today's market. This is a situation not at all unique to Numismatics, but rather speaks to the general societal condition we find ourselves in.

I don't believe this Collector/Dealer dichotomy is any more intense in the present era of internet commerce than it was back in the halcyon days of Q David Bowers, Walter Breen and brick & mortar coin shops. Human nature being what it is, there were just as many con artists & flim-flam men then as now. Numismatics has undergone changes over the years just as dramatic as those it is currently experiencing, let us follow this path together, no? :)

19. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

20. AlynnLeigh

AlynnLeigh New Member

21. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Coin live streams...ugh....the pain

Draft saved Draft deleted