You're the grader

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Insider, May 25, 2022.

?

What would you do?

Poll closed May 27, 2022.
  1. It is common modern junk. Let it go out as a 68.

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Net grade the coin down to 66-67.

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Net grade the coin to 64-65.

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  4. Net the coin down below MS-65.

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. grade the coin MS - Details.

19 vote(s)
    47.5%
  1. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

For the fictionalized scenario the nickel is a naked-eye gem plus. (PERIOD).
    It is presented as an single independent fact that is not disputed or qualified at any point.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I make up the poll. (PERIOD) I state the facts in the game scenario. (PERIOD) What I state in the fictional story is all that a person of normal intelligence needs to make a reasonable poll choice.*** (PERIOD) Members can read the facts as presented by me and take the poll or not. (PERIOD) I am not responsible for failures of English comprehension or personal assumptions. (PERIOD) We all are guilty of this at some time. It is a waste of my time to keep explaining a simple plot and correcting posters posting things they have invented that were not stated in the scenario. (PERIOD) However, since I believe my posts help some members less informed than the :bookworm::cigar::bigtears: I'm going to continue to have fun posting things MY :stinkyfeet::troll: WAY to make folks think! :D Thanks for playing and commenting. :joyful: Wait. The poll was anonymous. Care to say what you would do? Details? (PERIOD) ;):D

Choices for a CT member who QC's the coin before it is returned:
    Detail the coin, lower the grade, do nothing.

4. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

That's me you're referring to as less informed. So, I would still like to know what is the cause of this damage within the mint facility. And calling the Treasury Department would be a futile effort.

Insider likes this.
  5. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Run Forrest Run

Kentucky likes this.
  6. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

Based on the facts of the scenario
    The coin is naked gem plus - meaning the damage on the coin is not distracting to the eye nor is it visible without magnification.
    Having in hand another qualified professional grader's opinion of MS-68
    Not having any facts as to whether or not the prior grader gave the damage any consideration in rendering their opinion.

I was one of the two people that chose option #4.

Insider likes this.
  7. Insider

Publius2, posted: "That's me you're referring to as less informed. So, I would still like to know what is the cause of this damage within the mint facility. And calling the Treasury Department would be a futile effort."

:bigtears: If that's what you think, I cannot argue as no one knows yourself better than you do. So your guess is as good as mine. I'm also one of the "less informed." :D:p

I thought my example was clear. When my car is missing, I know it is missing and I know where it is missing from. Unfortunately, I don't know who took it, where it is, or the exact time it was taken. I know the damage on the quarter above was done at the mint AFTER THE COIN WAS STRUCK. One poster guessed it was the feed fingers. That's the only thing that makes sense tp me BUT UNTIL I know for sure, I'm not going to PRETEND to be some "Expert" spouting assumptions. I let the "Ex-Perts" do that and there are plenty of them in the coin business!

PS On every coin with this type of damage it is parallel, a one time occurrence, and in the same orientation. See, you made me think some more :joyful: so now I'm leaning more and more to feed finger damage BUT still not certain.

Last edited: May 27, 2022
  8. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

How do you know the damage was done at the mint? Because they are packaged in OGP?

9. Insider

Virtually everything you have posted is based on an assumption:

This is the info given in the OP:

"A Jefferson nickel passing through the grading room is a naked-eye gem plus. It is slabbed with a MS-68 label when it reaches your desk for QC. Then you see this."

[​IMG]

Later I added FS.

justafarmer, posted: "Based on the facts of the scenario
    The coin is naked gem plus - meaning the damage on the coin is not distracting to the eye nor is it visible without magnification."
    YES... The coin looks perfect (naked eye gem plus) EXCEPT there is naked eye damage on the reverse. NO...Did the graders miss it? In the scenario YOU don't know. The only thing for sure is the coin is virtually perfect, it is in a MS-68 slab and you see the marks in the image. The best of the TPG's ignore PMD all the time - depending on a lot of different reasons. The proof is straight graded in slabs. What do you do?
    "Having in hand another qualified professional grader's opinion of MS-68

Not having any facts as to whether or not the prior grader gave the damage any consideration in rendering their opinion." This does not enter into YOUR POLL ANSWER because YOU ARE QC! You are responsible that no mistakes (label or otherwise) get out.

I was one of the two people that chose option #4.

Thanks for posting your opinion. It's a personal thing so there are no wrong choices. Now this is my choice: :muted:

Draft saved Draft deleted