Your World Coin Collection, 10 Years from Now

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GSDykes, May 27, 2015.

1. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

I began collecting US coins, got bored and began, last year, seriously collecting various "world coins". I immediately noticed that world coins -- even with very low mintages -- were selling far below an equivalent American coin. I have also noticed that my "new" world coin catalogue, is quickly outdated as prices change, usually always UP. Its no secret; world coin prices are increasing. This affects the supply/demand ratio. Even my slow old brain can realize that this is a growing and exciting venue and market, as well as an opportunity for certain coin-savvy investors. For example note this quote:

"Coins from all over the globe offer investors a unique opportunity to gain extraordinary value from exceptionally crafted coins." - Geoff Anandappa, via Gainesville Coins.

And Jeff Garrett, on the subject:

"The major grading services have both recognized this fact [the growing interest] and recently opened offices overseas. Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) has opened an office in Paris, France and Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) will soon open an office in Hong Kong.... [look who's following the money :) ]

The demand for international coins will surely increase around the world as citizens have more money and access to information about their favorite collectible. Most major rare coin companies now have sophisticated web sites and nearly every World Mint offers their products online.... The coins from other countries can be quite tempting. In most cases world coins of equal quality and rarity can be purchased for a fraction of the cost of a similar American coin."

And finally folks at Portland Coins add the most important factors, in my mind (partial quote) in 2013:

"Collecting foreign coins is about enjoying the beauty and variety of the world's money, about glimpsing another culture through an ordinary, every-day object which is very commonplace but is also very important. Foreign coins show us what that country thinks is important enough to honor by immortalizing it in a small sculpture that will be seen by millions of people. While there are collectors who search for only rare or valuable coins, they are missing out on the thousands of other interesting coins that make world coin collecting fun." -- end quotes.

Simple reason dictates that, monetarily, good world coin collections will greatly increase in value within 10 years. Though aware of this I still collect coins I enjoy, above all else. Nonetheless, I also look for low mintages, and good value. Eye appeal is important. So 10 years from now (should I live that long!), my surviving nephews can receive an inheritance from me, which will have great value in several ways. Why do YOU collect world coins?? What guides you: rarity, precious metal content, low mintages, types of coins (animals, portraits), or history? Beauty, art? Let me hear from y'all....and include a pic of one of your most favorite world coins. A hard request!

longshot, spirityoda and swamp yankee like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

It's an area I appreciate, but have no knowledge in. I particularly feel pulled toward ancients, and want to begin to learn more and purchase. Great post.

4. GSDykes

I guess since I requested it, I ought to post one of my favorite world coins: The toning colors of this brass coin won me over! I bought it off of EBAY last year, for a steal. Also the coin sends a nice message about trust in God!
    Nicaragua_1943_my.jpg

jj00 and spirityoda like this.
  5. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

The last time I checked the US was part of the world.;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, if you mean strictly non-US coins (which of course I realize you do)

[​IMG]

jj00, spirityoda and swamp yankee like this.
  6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

One gateway to world coins for US collectors is through coins that circulated in the Americas. The first coin you see as you flip through the Redbook was, for a very long time, a Mexican pillar 8 reales (maybe it still is). I have one of those in my collection, as well as a couple other coins that would have circulated among them. While this 1572 Elizabeth I sixpence is probably not one of them, being roughly twice the weight of an 18th century sixpence, it is my most recent darkside purchase and one of my favorites.

[​IMG]

jj00, swamp yankee and spirityoda like this.
  7. messydesk

Another is this 1733 8 reales klippe, which was a transitional design that lasted a couple years and bridged the more crude silver cobs and the aforementioned pillar dollars. Picked this one up recently for my prime number set.

[​IMG]

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Don't say that to any American coin collector. ;) But I do wonder why the topic is in this forum. Ah well, we can still move it later ...

Christian

9. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Not the best photo's. I love learning the history of other countries. Sometimes I feel we get to caught up in our own that we don't expand out of it. Living abroad for a couple of years left me with a respect for what others have done. Thus I collect their coins. (Also they just have some really nice designs).
    -1.jpg -2.jpg

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

world coins rule. endless variety. great for topic/themed collections. I really hate when collectors call world coins "the dark side" :mad::eek::sour::meh:

chrisild and swamp yankee like this.
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

We call it that because when it comes to non-US coins most US collectors are completely "in the dark".

longshot and swamp yankee like this.
  12. GSDykes

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, I was certain it said "World Coins"!! Messydesk I really like your 1572 Elizabeth I sixpence!! Great coin. And yes I agree that referring to "world coins" as a matter of the dark side, is due to a lack of someone's knowledge, hence "dark". :)

13. GSDykes

Chrisild, wrote:
    But I do wonder why the topic is in this forum. Ah well, we can still move it later ...

Well, when I posted this thread as "New" I must have accidentally hit the US coin forums link (they are right next to each other). I have tried to move it all, but fail. Someone who is more in control maybe can move these things. However, I learned something. (See, all is not lost). Accidentally posting "World Coin stuff" here is like dropping a piece of red meat amongst hungry wolfhounds! WOW, such animosity. I like US coins, but as I said, world coins open up many more interesting avenues of research and appreciation for me. Some of you ought to be ashamed of yourselves, or are we drinking too much beer in the morning?
    GSDykes

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  14. GSDykes

Rooman9 posted some coin images, and
    Again wow, both sides of that Aussie coin, beautiful.

swamp yankee and rooman9 like this.
  15. messydesk

I don't see the animosity, unless you were bombarded with private messages.

The term "dark side" I interpret and use endearingly, as being in the mysterious realm beyond the "Here There Be Dragons" markings on the maps of U.S. collectors such as myself. Discussion here of coins that serve as a gateway to non-U.S. coins seems appropriate.

16. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

No reason for hatred. Yes, I dislike the term too, but I suppose that some from the dull side ;) find it funny.

Christian

Jwt708 likes this.
  17. GSDykes

Lets see some more pics! Messydesk, thanks for updating me, I understand better now.
    by by GSDykes

18. sgt23

sgt23 Active Member

My question is for how long will we be able too collect world coins? Especially coins over 100 years old. My question comes from the direction that most world antiquities and museums are trying to push our hobby hobby in. Countries for example are Cyprus, Spain and Great Britain. The sad part is that our government does whatever they asks and could careless about our hobby. You have any ideal how hard is to get a coin mailed from any wheres anymore and having to worry about customs and counterfeits? Our hobby could be in a sad state soon.

GSDykes likes this.
  19. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I love world coins. I have a huge MISC. coin collection. I also like to collect topical/themed collections. my personal favorite is "coins with insects". then "coins with certain stars", "coins with hands, coins with small coins as the design itself, few error coins, toned world coins. and a small U.S.A. collection.
    my avatar is my holy grail and the king of my whole collection... Belgium 1832 10 centimes, copper, NGC MS-65 RB very rare in this grade and quite expensive. I have been collecting coins for 15 years now and amassed a total of 900 coins. I see myself slowly selling/trading 1/2 of my collection in the next 5 years to buy older 18th and 19th century coins. the older the coins the cooler the designs for coins become.
    DSC_0721.JPG
    DSC_0724x.JPG
    DSC_0758.JPG
    DSC_0759.JPG
    the white is from the flash. looks much better in person.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    JPeace$, Doug1974, jj00 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

No really good photos on hand at the moment, but world coins (Non US coins) and ancients are quickly becoming some of my favorites for their; beauty, rarity & value. You get a lot of bang for your buck so to speak as far as condition/age! Italian (quadriga), French (sower) and German pieces from the 1890-1930 era are incredibly beautiful to me, and Mexican 8 Reales too!
    I think the US market might pull back a little, but we'll see growth in these fields.

21. GSDykes

The present state of affairs is still favorable for buying and receiving world coins mailed to the USA. But SGT23 makes a good point. Very old and valuable coins could be taxed or prohibited for export, at least from the source nation. I notice a variety of "inspections" or labels on coins shipped to me from many foreign localities, as does the Sarge. In Israel they and several other nations (Egypt) have lots of restrictions in place, they could clamp down on "coin" sales anytime. The importation of counterfeits from China, could bring upon us many possible restrictions and new laws to inspect coins and the like before entering our country. We will have to wait and see. Until then happy collecting!!

sgt23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted