Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Histman, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

This is a 51' Proof Set I'm thinking about purchasing on line. The first is a normal picture.

[​IMG]

The second is a close up of same quarter.
    [​IMG]
    What are your thoughts on what is causing these marks? The coin? The plastic? I need a '50 & '51, to complete my 1950-2019 set, so any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

I don't know but it looks a lot better then my 52 set!

Collecting Nut likes this.
  4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I have a nice 1951 set in the original box. The close-up of the quarter makes the piece look like it's been dipped to me. I have never been a fan of those little marks in the field of a modern Proof coin, which don't appear to be "as struck."

Everything depends upon the price, of course, but I would not rate this as an outstanding set if the rest of the coins are like the quarter.

5. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I’d wait for a set with nicer coins...

6. Walkerfan

Walkerfan Well-Known Member

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks like something's on the surface of the coin. I'd pass on that set.

8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Roger Burdette claims they are mint caused when chromium particles flake off the Proof dies. Others look like post strike damage. You can find more attractive Proof coins.

9. Histman

The price for this set is $400.00

10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Ungraded proof sets should only be bought when you can inspect the coins in person. It's very hard to grade proofs from photos, and it's easy to disguise problems with proofs in photos. If you add up retail for PR63 coins individually, then you come up with just north of $400. I'm sure you could do better than this, and you'd have graded coins rather than raw ones. You might even be able to get most coins in PR65 and still be around $400. I'd pass on this set.

Lehigh96 likes this.
  11. Histman

Thanks for the opinions. I was wondering what caused that look on the coins. JohnMilton said "dipped." Any other thoughts?

Draft saved Draft deleted