Your thoughts on this toning...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Log Potato, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  2. coppermania

coppermania Numistatist

Questionable to say the least, but you knew that or you wouldn't have posted it. Are you just wondering what people will say cause it is holdered? I suppose there is the off chance it looks better in hand or that the photoes don't do it justice or are juiced, but since it is on ebay (where "many" undesireable coins finally go to die) I would pass. JMO

3. I posted because one of us thinks it is NT and one of us thinks it's blatantly AT...I won't say which, and it has no bearing on the TPG. The coin only.

4. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

IMO Artificial Toning. You can see the colors going over to the design (raised letters, etc - I forget the real term for those) and has flow rather than air depositing of the toning.

5. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

It looks like album toning to me.

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Doesn't really matter. It is is a recognized TPG slab and is thus market acceptable. Buy it if you like it. Don't if you don't.

7. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Device is the term I forgot. According to what I know, Natural toning is done based on distance away from the toning source, etc., which can be measured in centimetres and does not flow from the field to the devices in the way that that shows. There should be differences in the colors in the field between the letters and not the same color coating the letters nearby, as if it lay in a oil puddle or something. Also, based on the colors, and the way it goes around, I would immediately think that the source of the toning was in the Middle of the coin, rather than the edge of the album.

But I could be wrong, I don't have "training" in this.

8. MA or not, you didn't answer the question. What is YOUR opinion of the coin?

9. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Tough call , I'd say AT , but since it's in a legit slab it's a moot point . That's one nicely struck Type II 1917 and if some idiot did that to such a nice coin I hope he spends eternity with only Susan B Anthony dollars to look at .

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Since the only difference is mainly intent, which we can't know, it is not a reasonable question. This is not one of the "Dummies guides to toning" experiments which most can detect. So if it is really album toned over many years, or album toned over 1 week ( with help), or toned in a few hrs by gaseous perfusion by an expert, can not be readily decided. So MA is the only designation I would give it. My opinion is that chemistry of toning is just chemistry. Careful application can produce the same effects as nature. Most of the old sayings about how to tell, were based on liquid applied chemicals, and are not applicable if the chemicals are applied in a gas. If I needed and wanted the coin, I would buy it. If it wasn't in a good TPG slab, I wouldn't.

Jim

11. It is a reasonable question. Everyone understands it is MA because it is in a TPG holder. The question was, what is your thoughts on the coin, not what the thoughts of the TPG were. Although you did answer the original question in that post.

12. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Jim , but you can give your opinion of wether you think it is NT or had some help , no proof just your gut feeling .

13. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Could very well be album toning, I call that NT. The grader at ANACs also thought so.

14. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

I like both the toning and the coin itself.. looking at his other auctions there are some very nice toned items up for auction with plenty of bidders~~

15. The thing is, nobody is right or wrong. Like desertgem said, it's all speculation. My opinion is it is album toned. Whether it happened over a long period of time or was pushed along they way we will never know. But I think it looks more natural than artificial. Which is consistent with all the different replies.

16. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

Not an MS coin IMHO. My standard for MS type II SLQ's might be a bit high for requiring chain links on the breast to be seen.

Someone was quite generous with that Type II 1917.

17. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

I like it and think it's NT. The seller is an excellent photographer and respected seller, and I'd bet the pix are realistic. I would also bet that PCGS and NGC would bag it for questionable color.
    Lance.

18. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

I'm not big on SLQ toners but I would say it is NT. Because I've heard that ANACS is pretty strict when it comes to toning like that. But, beauty is in the hands of the beholder. Buy it if you like, walk if you are in doubt.

19. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

I'd have to agree with the NT consensus, I've seen those older TREAT folders and older Whitmans do that to a coin.

20. jom

jom Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I'm certain you learned this (as I did) from Bob Campbell's video some years ago.

This is important also....and note that part of liking the coin is liking the PRICE as well.

I think the issue of AT/NT is blown way out of proportion. We all need to educate ourselves but the TPGs are handling this in terms of MA or not. NOT as NT vs. AT.

jom

Draft saved Draft deleted