Your thoughts on this ebay listing

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by atcarroll, Apr 22, 2018.

1. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

He's selling several four- and five-figure coins, showing only photos taken from computer screens.

He's getting dates and mint-marks wrong in auction titles.

He's been an eBay member since December, he's never sold an item, and he has zero feedback.

Now, why was it again that you're questioning this auction's legitimacy?

4. atcarroll

Because i might get called names if i just say "hey look, a fraudster on ebay". The sad thing is, people are bidding on his listings.

5. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Listing was taken down.
    Doesn't exactly sound like a reputable seller from -jeffB's description. I would recommend you not purchase coins from this seller.

6. -jeffB

For what it's worth, at least one of the auctions completed, and several others stayed up for quite a while, but as of today they've all disappeared. They don't show up in active or completed auctions (which would include "sold" items).

That's what eBay typically does when an auction goes bad (fake material, seller never actually had item, etc.) -- they erase all record of the auction, making it impossible to go back and prove that it ever existed (unless you've got eBay email correspondence tagged to it). I can understand why they'd want to do that, but I don't like it, and it makes me a more reluctant and skeptical buyer.

7. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

What do you mean by no feedback? That link is to an account with over 15000 feedbacks and 100% positive.

8. -jeffB

What link do you mean? Since eBay erased the original auction, it intercepts the link in the OP and sends you to a list of "related items" (which implies that eBay, at least, remembers what the auction was for). Those related items can come from any seller at all.

Here's a link to the seller from the original post. Since he's now been NARU'd (Not a registered user), it does no harm to call attention to his account.

9. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Well, if I read a thread questioning a post I expect that the link in the OP will be the one under discussion.

10. -jeffB

And it was, but when the link's target disappears two weeks later, there's nothing to be done about it. It's too late for the OP to edit that post.

I object to eBay's practice of intercepting links like this and redirecting to a search. It's misleading.

11. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I had no idea that EBay did that. I don't see how they can judge to redirect a post like that until that have numismatic experts on staff scanning all auctions.

12. -jeffB

Oh, it's not that. I think they just remember the title of the auction somewhere internally, and if they have that, they use it to run a search.

Sometimes a link to a nonexistent auction will lead you to a page that says just that ("this auction is no longer available" or something to that effect). Other times, you get this attempted "helpful" behavior.

13. atcarroll

sorry, the link worked when i posted it. Here's what comes up when i click it now ebaylink.JPG

14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Which will happen about the time pigs sprout wings and fly.

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Even when eBay removes the auction, it still possible to get the main image from the auction.

[​IMG]

16. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

not sure, but i wouldnt buy a coin that valuable if it wasnt in a good slab. I know they can even fake slabs, but its a better bet

Draft saved Draft deleted