Your thoughts on these grades - NGC 8 Escudos

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Atarian, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

Hello All:

There's got to be some 8E collectors out there - could you comment as to whether or not the grades assigned are accurate, and if not, why? IMHO the 1811 looks a little better than the 1803...

Thanks for taking a look...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

monetarium, wcg, Blissskr and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chromerunner

chromerunner ******

I know nothing on the series....But that 1803 sure is a beauty!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I'm not qualified to offer an opinion, but I will have stuff like that if my ship ever comes in.:) Neat!!!!

mlov43 likes this.
  5. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

I'm no collector on the series. But it appears that the 1803 is graded higher because of it's luster which is lacking slightly on the 1811.

6. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I like the toning on the 1803 too.

7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Nice grades for some beautiful coins!

8. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Reverse pictures would help before I offer my opinion....Unless these are the ultra-rare one-sided 8 Escudos. ;)

Kirkuleez and Seattlite86 like this.
  9. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Both are very nice. I have experience with the 8Rs not the 8Es, but the Carolus IIII and Ferdinand VIIs for the 8Rs are often found with weak strikes, moreso on the reverse. I would imagine much of the grade difference here is accounted for by strike, but really we would need to see the reverses.

10. Atarian

Here's the reverses. Thanks to all for the replies so far. As noted, the reverse strike is pretty weak on both, although the 1803 is noticeably sharper.

1811:
    [​IMG]

1803:
    [​IMG]

11. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Oh, I guess it's strike and luster differences (like Josh and Jaelus above had said) that account for the differences in grades. I also don't know much about these, but am TOTALLY stoked by seeing these!

Thanks for sharing two really nice examples!

12. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Both lovely coins. IMO, the slight difference in the grades is merited by what appears to be some hairlining and/or a light "wipe" of the obverse on the 1811 (see field left of bust), and the significantly better strike on the reverse of the 1803.

All that being said, there really isn't much difference between an AU55 grade and an AU58 grade. I have always thought splitting AU into 4 levels (50/53/55/58) was a bit overkill for the grading system. I'd be perfectly happy with two levels at, say, AU52 and AU57. :)

13. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

The 1811 has a bit more actual wear in addition to the weak strike (which doesn't hurt the grade for these). The 1803 has a better strike (still has some strike weakness) and very little wear.

Really the 1811 is more like an AU54 and the 1803 is an AU57, but they have to adjust them up or down and they were slightly generous with both due to the great eye appeal and especially nice reverses. I think the grades are fine.

14. Atarian

Thanks folks for the replies.

15. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

I've collected ten 8 escudos to date, not including similar large gold of other denominations (Colombian 16 Pesos & 20 Pesos). 8 are ms, 1 is ms but quite hairlined and one is a rare date in VF-EF. Also I've viewed & been outbid on numerous others and have been to the Eliasberg & Milennia auctions in person where I bought some.

I will have to say that all I've successfully gotten are the early republican designs, some going as high as ms-64. I have bought the minor gold escudos both Colonial & Republican as well as the silver.

Nonetheless I like your 1803 a little better for grade and will have to agree with the graders on these. The 1811 appears to have a little more honest wear and the 1803 is just a cut away from being in mint state. The fields on the 1803 appear to be a little fresher and seem to have a touch of mint luster.

16. Atarian

Thanks Gallienus... Love to see some pics of your mint state coins. Those are out of my price range... :-(

17. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

Atarian
    I'm surely no grading expert but have seen a lot of 3rd party graded world gold coins in my day; With that said I would say the grades are more correct than not.

18. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I think both are great looking coins, grades seem accurate. Here are some of my 8 Escudos, Carlos III 1773 Colombia/ Popayan Mint graded SC by Cayon (SC=mint state) Ferdinand VII 1809 Lima Mint/ Peru graded mint state by St. James Auction Ferdinand VI 1751-So (Santiago Mint) graded FDC john photos 1 006 (Medium).jpg john photos 1 007 (Medium).jpg john photos 1 005 (Medium).jpg john photos 1 008 (Medium).jpg john photos 1 003 (Medium).jpg john photos 1 004 (Medium).jpg by Aureo&Calico

monetarium, Gallienus and 01mikep like this.
  19. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Sheeshsus. How does one afford these coins

monetarium and panzerman like this.
  20. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Well, in my case. Instead of working like most 40 hrs a week, I work on average double that, so I have r those extra $ for coins.

21. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you have to do that. To each his own I guess

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted