Your PERFECT Coin Store Wish List

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jim sullivan, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Jim sullivan

Jim sullivan Toned coins rule

So without going into this too deep, I was thinking today what would MY (idea of) perfect coin store be or have that the ones currently in my area are lacking. These are a few things I came up with.
    1) A coin store thats closer.
    I dont live in the boonies but theres no serious coin shop close by!!
    2) More knowledge and interest in moderns and varieties. Crh is a big deal to a LOT of collectors but MY experience anyway has been a lack of real interest in and advanced knowledge of ultra modern coinage, their grading and varieties.
    3) A younger more friendly coin shop owner. Now Im not knockin anyone and I realize a fun hobby to one man is the means to support a family to another, but especially when I was a bit younger I many times had the feeling of being judged with contempt by the usually irritated and angry seeming coin shop owner guy. Again I realize it can be a tough business and not always fun and this is probably just my luck in my area but an alive looking, seemingly interested, not gettin the feelin hes gonna play you at the first chance kinda shop owner would be a godsend sometimes.

So theres a few. There are more but what is on YOUR fantasy coin shop want list?

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

An owner who likes to gamble and thinks he's a good pool player.

Chris

4. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

I just wish mine was open on Saturdays again... :(

5. jonathan layne

jonathan layne Well-Known Member

i wish i had one in my city that i could walk to and not two hours away

coinsareus10 likes this.
  6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I only have one that is close to me and they are absolute garbage. Mostly a bullion dealer but their prices are really high on that as well. Everything else is garbage. The owners/employees are rather rude as well. I still go there to look through their overpriced foreign junk coins with my son from time to time because it's all we have. Really disappointing considering we are in a pretty large metropolitan area.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

My perfect shop would be the shop I frequented as a youngster. A business like that would never fly in today’s fast paced high tech world. That place was little more than a big storage shed. Half the space was dedicated to metal detectors. One shelf full of Whitman and Redbooks. Two smallish glass cases that held everything from junk type coins to double eagles. I spent my lunch money there on worn V-nickels and the like more than once. The best thing is that there was no counter separating the proprietor from his coin junkie customers. He was everybody’s friend and was as interested in selling me a ten cent worn out Indian as he was his top clientele...... Yeah, that would never fly these days.

8. cwart

I am lucky that I can still get that kind of service at my local shop. I have never purchased anything over $100 dollars before, but I still get treated like a top customer every time I have a chance to go in. Reading some of the posts here is making me realise just how lucky I am to have them around.

9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I too have a friendship like that with my local dealer. He has two businesses in his place. One caters to the average coin junkie like me. And another where he caters to the “investment” crowd. You know, those coins that are delivered via armored car!..... He and I have become good friends over the years.

But, I happen to own a customer service related business. And I believe most folks that rely on customer service do make every genuine attempt to put forth their best face at each transaction. Like anyone sometimes chemistry don’t work or maybe a bad day was had... And it does rub off on your customers. I saw that recently in a restaurant I frequent. The bubbly young lady that always serves me and always gets a gracious tip had a very sick child. Yet she was working and to someone that didn’t know here, well she seemed rather abrasive. She didn’t wear a sign that said she had been up all night and was working worried about her kid!..... It happens. Just hope folks allow a second chance when they feel brushed off by a dealer.

Trimbit and cwart like this.
  10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

There is no reason to apologize for that. Many LCS and people with tables take that same approach with younger people and in the end it's their loss.

Inspector43 likes this.
  11. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I pass those guys by when I go to shows. I may not look like I have a lot of money to spend, and maybe I don't comparatively, but if I am showing interest in something and you choose to look down on or ignore me then I will happily take my business elsewhere.

Bambam8778 and baseball21 like this.
  12. cwart

I agree completely. I visited a store just outside Cincinnati and beyond having mostly overpriced Morgans as their main stock they seemed to be going out of their way to ignore my wife and I as we browsed. Did not leave a good impression and they have been left off our list of places we visit when we are up that way.

13. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Amen, I would like that too.

14. baseball21

Things like this are one of the reasons why it's such a pet peeve for me when people are like collecting is dying all I see is old people at a show. Well that's because so many treat young people differently. Maybe they make a few extra bucks one time or don't think the interests of younger collectors is worth it, but why travel to a show where you would have to ignore the vast majority of tables anyway.

Inspector43 and furryfrog02 like this.
  15. Inspector43

I went to a show in Houston one time. It was put on by a local club. People who were not members of the club got second, third or no attention at all. Several times I tried to ask about some coins for sale and got ignored. The "dealers" were more interested in visiting than taking a chance to actually sell something. The youngsters were just plain pushed aside. I let the club know how I felt through their feedback mechanism and never went back.

I_like_Morgans likes this.
  16. cpm9ball

What is your favorite game(s)?

Chris

Inspector43 likes this.
  17. baseball21

Sadly the old saying the more things change the more they stay the same proves true a lot.

I know the internet and social media is not perfect, but there is a reason why so many younger collectors go there a lot and it has nothing to do with technology

Bambam8778 and Inspector43 like this.
  18. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

• Good selection of
    • fairly priced,
    • accurately graded coins
    • from someone who knows what they're talking about.
    Not that much to ask... you would think. I've yet to find one like this, though.

Paul M. and Santinidollar like this.
  19. Inspector43

Probably 8 Ball. But anything. I played a lot of Snooker when I was younger. My left handed, blonde daughter took after me and grew very interested in pool. She was named the MVP for all of SE Texas one year in an amateur league. That was tough on a lot of men.
    I don't play much anymore. I don't like the rules that have replaced skill and thinking. Ball in Hand, Jump shots, etc., were not permitted when I was playing a lot. And your favorites?

20. cpm9ball

My favorite games are One Pocket and 3-Cushion Billiards. I started playing in 1956 in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area at the age of 9, and Straight Pool (14-1) was the first game I learned to play. By the time I was 13, I could run 100 balls most of the time. "Ball-in-hand" was commonplace for 9-Ball in the 60's. I was also a National Referee within the Billiard Congress of America (BCA) organization for 10 years, and "ball-in-hand" became part of the World Standardized Rules in the late 90's. Trust me! It takes just as much skill and thinking to play within these rules as it does to play under the old system. Yes, jumping balls in any form used to be illegal, but it was eventually recognized as a skill shot in the early 90's as long as you were "shooting down" on the cue ball rather than "scooping" the cue ball.

Congratulations to your daughter! Amateur leagues can be a lot of fun. I played for many, many years in BCA (mostly), Valley National Eight-Ball Association (VNEA) and American Poolplayers Association (APA) leagues. I agree! There are a lot of men who hate to lose a game of pool to a woman. All I can say to that is that they have never played against women, the likes of Allison Fisher, Jeanette Lee, Jean Balukas, Vivian Villarreal (The Texas Tornado), Karen Corr, etc. I have! They are all world champions.

Chris

Inspector43 likes this.
  21. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I would like the Harlan J. Berk company to be in my neighborhood.

TypeCoin971793 and furryfrog02 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted