Your opinions PLEASE? Doubled die maybe?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Murillo, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Murillo

Murillo Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, would like your opinion please if you think this 1993 penny is a doubled die.
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Nope.. What you see is called DDD - Die Deterioration Doubling
    Your Cent is a Copper Plated Zinc Cent. When it's struck with a worn Die you see the effect shown on your example.
    Nothing to do with hub doubling which creates a Doubled Die.

4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

If that 1993 were my coin, I would put it in as large a holder as I could, and label it "Classic Die Deterioration Doubling", and keep it handy for instructional use. It is one of the best examples of it I've ever seen. That die was pretty much used to death. Those funky marks in the fields are a WONDERFUL diagnostic for the problem.

I might even spring for a fairly costly Capital Plastics single cent holder for housing it. Collector value? Close to nil. Instructional value? Priceless.

Murillo likes this.
  5. Murillo

Murillo Well-Known Member

Thank you, have to say this caught my eye the picture doesn't do it justice it is really shiny. Appreciate your opinion.

6. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Wow, definitely hang on to that for instructional use later (and I'm sure it will make a nice conversation piece too). That would really catch your eye, for sure!!!

Murillo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted