Your opinion: was this nickel acid washed?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Gilbert, Oct 15, 2016.

?

Acid washed?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Maybe

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Not sure if it was acid, but leaving nickels in a vinegar bath for too long will definitely cause this type of outcome, etched.

Paul M. and Gilbert like this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

It's definitely been exposed to something corrosive. Acid seems like the most likely possibility. Vinegar is acidic enough to do this if the exposure is long enough. It could have even been buried in some acidic soil.

Danjohnson, Gilbert and tommyc03 like this.
  5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

In my experience an acid or vinegar bath would have brought some more detail out of the reverse. So it would probably not done on purpose. Acidic soil might be the culprit.

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Looks like it spent some time in the ground. Or some type of wet enviroment. As a kid i would "wash" 1 cent pieces in vinagar with salt mixed in, it would really eat at the copper.

Paul M. and Gilbert like this.
  7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

It looks more like environmental damage, to me. This coin looks like it was probably buried for decades, and then someone found it metal detecting, or something like that.

Gilbert and Danjohnson like this.
  8. Danjohnson

Danjohnson Well-Known Member

Definitely looks like it has been in the ground with an attempt to clean (tumbler?). I've found lots of them over the years, a small number seem to do ok but most look like the OP's example.

One of my favorite designs and always leaves me a little melancholy when I find them environmentally damaged.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    Gilbert likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted