Your opinion please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GUNNER63736, May 10, 2019.

1. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

Old poot collector on a budget. I love the looks of the Silver Proof Dcam quarters. I buy on ebay. The raw coins are going for around $4.50 to $6.50 shipped and the certified coins, PCGS,etc., are going for around $10.00 to $15.00 shipped. I bought a couple of the raw coins for 4.50 and they were indeed Proof DCAM when they arrived. Which should I be buying? Are they worth what I see them listed at or should I just stay away from them altogether? You guys are the only folks I can talk to about coins, so I am sure you have seen some of my dumb questions before. I just can't afford to be throwing money away. LOL I sure do enjoy the bling factor of these coins. Seems that the Roosevelt dimes are going for the same or higher which confuses me. A lot less raw silver in them. Thanks for your opinions. Dang, that was a lot of questions.

okbustchaser likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

If you buy Modern Proofs, buy them pre-certified. Not worth buying raw off ebay and then submitting to PCGS.

4. GUNNER63736

If I buy raw coins, I just leave them raw in my collection. I should have been clearer. Sorry

CoinBlazer likes this.
  5. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

I always check the sold listings on eBay to see if the price I'm paying for a coin is competitive. It seems the prices you are paying are in line.

As far as your question, "should I stay away from them altogether?" For me, numismatics is a hobby, not a retirement plan. I do like to make good deals and make money if I sell a coin but my primary goal is to collect coins I enjoy. It seems that you collect Dcam, modern proofs because you like them. So I would say "no, don't stay away from collecting them."

6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

If you enjoy them as a collector, then it's okay. If you are looking to make money or even have a place to stash money, a piggy bank would be better. These coins are pretty, but there is not much long term demand for them.

The main thing they have going for them is their silver content. Otherwise, there is not much collector value there.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You are buying them because you enjoy them right? Then just buy the raw ones. They look pretty much exactly the same as the slabbed ones, and you can buy three raw ones for the cost of one slabbed one. And if you tried to sell a slabbed one you probably wouldn't get much more than you would for a raw one.

If you are hoping to make a profit on them it doesn't matter which way you buy them because you won't.

micbraun and Seattlite86 like this.
  8. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

The 2019 silver ATB silver quarters are cheap on ebay rite now, buy the whole set of 5 if you like them 19.50, free shipping, its a good buy because its 1.13+ oz silver, the 2019 are not coin silver, their 99.9 I bought a couple.

9. Autoturf

Id stay away from the clad proofs, unless you just like em.

10. Autoturf

Specifications
    Denomination: Quarter
    Finish: Proof
    Composition: 99.9% silver
    Weight: 6.343 grams
    Diameter: 0.955 inch (24.26 mm)
    Edge: Reeded
    Mint and Mint Mark: San Francisco – S
    This set includes five America the Beautiful Quarters® Program coins

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Whatever you enjoy more and makes you happier. I get not being able to afford to throw money away, but either one costs less than a movie ticket.

Autoturf likes this.
  12. GUNNER63736

Thanks for the advise folks. I do indeed buy them for the pleasure of collecting them. I like the silver and I search ebay for silver coins as close to spot as I can get. I don't mind at all paying a small premium because they are a coin and not just junk silver. Think I will go raw from now on. Although they are not DCAM Proof, I just purchased 13 Good 1964 quarters off ebay for 2.75 each shipped. Heck, that is just a few pennies above the days silver spot price for quarters. Just bought those for the silver. Have fun collecting guys. Mike in Missouri

ddddd likes this.
  13. Autoturf

Good luck Mike, Enjoy,

Eddie in missouri

14. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

+1

Draft saved Draft deleted