Your opinion please on my silver proof Kennedys .

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GUNNER63736, Apr 3, 2020.

1. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

I love the 90% silver proof Kennedy half dollars. Being on a rather tight old age budget, I usually buy the raw coins. Should I buy less coins and spring for the certified coins instead? I don't buy for investment but for the beauty and pride of ownership on these suckers. but I don't want to loose money either. I have some raw and some certified. What ya think? Thanks for your input.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

pretty hard to beat a graded slab but you have to weigh the premium vs. raw and pay the $20 for grading but sometimes what I think is a nice piece comes back cleaned or au details and that too "burst your bubble". A Paddyman quote!

4. GUNNER63736

Thanks for the input David. I just keep my raw coins raw. I don't ever submit them. Heck, the fees are higher than I would have to pay for a slabbed coin on ebay I think. Never could figure that out, but no one has ever accused me of being very smart either.

David Betts likes this.
  5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

They are beautiful regardless of the holder they are in. The folks that lose money on certified coins are the folks that took the gamble of having them certified. I have seen you post some real stunners that were slabbed that you purchased at a good deal before.... You are thinking correctly. Buy the coin for the coin. And if it happens to be in a slab of plastic, then that's just all the better for you.

Inspector43 and David Betts like this.
  6. GUNNER63736

Yep Randy, I watch for bargains, or what I think are bargains. LOL

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

I agree with both the above comments I just bought for my grandson, a matched pair of 1960 lg and small date PF67 RD NGC slabbed but paid $17.75 for pair on eBay. Far less than last month or so but still a bundle.
    I collected Morgan's and my O's are mostly slabbed but I found better value buying raw CC's as they're only going to him!
    I figured 54 years from now he'll be my age and say wow Gramp got me a couple of graded proofs! He knew what he was doing! Wrong Thanks for sharing Gunner

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's your collection so buy what you like.

9. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

If I find silver proof Kennedys for around $15 graded PF69DCAM, I buy them. Any raw ones I have are in silver proof sets.

10. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Randy nailed it. Let someone else bear the cost of grading, and then be patient and look for bargains. I think in the long run that's better than buying raw, but only if you can find the graded ones at discount.

Draft saved Draft deleted