your opinion on two ancient coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by smolsketchkid, Jan 20, 2018.

1. smolsketchkid

smolsketchkid Member

Hi! I recently got two copper ancient coins from a coin show recently. I believe one is an as of caligula and the other is a 40 nummi of justinian. What are your thoughts about the coins. I am curious to know more about ancient copper coins. thank you! IMG_0064.JPG IMG_8596.JPG IMG_5293.JPG IMG_0201.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

I agree that your bottom coin is a Caligula as of this type:

4a - Caligula AE as.jpg

GAIUS (CALIGULA)
    AE As (11.31 g.) Rome 37 - 38 A.D. RIC 38
    C CAESAR AVG GERMANICVS PON M TR POT Bare head of Caligula left.
    Rev. VESTA S C Vesta enthroned left.

I think your coin would benefit from further cleaning (a topic about which I have no direct knowledge) and would encourage you to search the many very good threads on this site about how to clean bronze coins.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  4. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

CALIGULA AS VESTA 1.jpg I'm not sure what you mean by "thoughts." Collectability? Authenticity? Information about rulers?

My initial thoughts are that these coins are authentic, but are not particularly attractive versions of their type.

However, every coin tells a story. Regardless of aesthetics, for example, it's very cool to hold in your hand a genuine artifact of one of Rome's most infamous, "mad" emperors. That's what you have, and it can be a real source of pleasure and interest. Perhaps these coins will inspire a greater interest in ancients.

That Caligula is a fairly common but still much sought-after type. Here's mine--itself a bit of a modest example I hope to upgrade one day.

5. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Here's a write-up I did for my Caligula a while back:

Everyone loves a mad Emperor. And according to Suetonius, no one was madder than Gaius Caesar, son of Germanicus, better known to history by his nickname “Caligula,” or “Little Boot.” Gaius grew up with his heroic father while the latter prosecuted his military campaigns, and Germanicus’s soliders named the boy after the “manly footwear” worn by Roman infantrymen. Caligula was adopted by the Emperor Tiberius, and it is said that the debauched old man introduced a teenaged Caligula to the perversities of absolute power, though Suetonius must be taken with a mica salis.

Caligula assumed the purple in 37 A.D. In four years he would be dead, killed by his own Praetorian Guard. Although the ancient sources stress his cruelty and sexual debauchery, Caligula’s coinage was remarkably devoted to family members such as his biological mother and father, and one famous sestertius depicts Caligula's three sisters, Agrippina, Drusilla and Julia Livilla, as representations of Security, Harmony, and Fortune. But even here some ancient critics were scandalized by these familial indulgences; it was as if Donald Trump started striking U.S. silver dollars depicting Ivanka and Jared Cushner. Some Roman critics even went so far as to suggest that Caligula’s devotion to his sisters hinted at an incestuous relationship, but again, such an assertion is more gossip than history. But the gossip seems to have won the day, and today Caligula is a by-word for gratuitous violence and perversity, as the infamous 1979 film makes clear.

A more charitable reading of Caligula’s familial coinage may be that it simply reflects the mind of a man who was routinely assailed by courtiers, flatterers, and potential assassins at every turn, and who simply looked to images of family for reassurance and comfort. We all want to be loved–is that so wrong?

Pictured here is my only Caligula; I like to think that in the obverse portrait we see at least a mischievous figure, if not the monster of Roman history. The reverse features not a family member but Vesta. Even here, though, a familial theme abides, since Vesta was goddess of hearth and home. The coin is in worn condition, but the same coin in the highest grades can approach $1000, so this modest example is the best I could afford. (Rare sestertii of Caligula can command hundreds of thousands of dollars at auction.) Caligula bronze coinage is not especially rare. So why the high prices? The answer is simple: Infamy. Everyone knows Caligula. And every collector wants to own a piece of the twisted action.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

My thoughts exactly.
    Caligula 2.jpg

7. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Your first coin is a Byzantine coin of Justinianus from Constantinople.

Fairly common but still nice, big coins.

The date is often on the right side of the reverse but I can't read it on yours.

Marsyas Mike and Ryro like this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The Caligula appears to have bronze disease. It's hard to judge from a photo, but the bluish green patina looks powdery and the coin is very pitted. You'll want to treat that to keep it from rapidly progressing. If you search "bronze disease treatment" on this forum you'll find various methods.

9. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like bronze disease to me. I think the coin was heavily corroded with a think, blue-green patina. Someone may have removed most of the patina, or, more likely, the patina was very fragile and just disintegrated. Just to be sure, let the coin sit out for a week or so. If it does have bronze disease, you will see a blue-green powder powder start building up, almost growing like a fungus, that you can just brush away with your finger. Then it will be time to act, for bronze disease damages your coin. But I don't think BD is likely in this case.

Removing the rest of the remaining patina, either chemically or through electrolysis, may improve the coin's appearance somewhat, but you'll still have a heavily pockmarked surface.

I assume that both coins were fairly inexpensive. I think, if you are just starting out with ancients, this is a reasonable way to go. A beautiful Caligula as will cost you many hundreds of dollars, and there are many forgeries out there because of its high demand and subsequent value. You can be certain that your coin is not a forgery.

Buying at a coin show is a great way to get introduced to the hobby. If you see a dealer with a lot of ancient, take a few minutes to introduce yourself to him or her. Most dealers love to talk about their coins.

10. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice coins. The Caligula is pretty well covered here. So a bit about that Byzantine follis. It is Justinian, and I think it is this one (from Wildwinds):

Justinian I. AE follis. 527-565 AD, Constantinople. DN IVSTINIANVS PP AVG, pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right / Large M. star to left, cross above, cross right, officina letter below, mintmark CON. SB 158, DOC 28.

I am guessing about the "cross right" part, but I think this is right. There is no regnal year on these issues from early in Justinian's reign. Your Officina is a Greek delta.

They were struck pretty crudely, but yours is not too bad - I'd sure be happy to have it.

Severus Alexander and Theodosius like this.
  11. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Oh, and the "M" is a mark of value. It's a nummis.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have a similar Caligula to toss in:

RI Gaius Caligula AE As 37-41 CE Vesta seated S-C.jpg
    RI Gaius Caligula AE As 37-41 CE Vesta seated S-C

And, perhaps a similar Justinian:

BZ Justinian I 527-565 CE AE Folles 30mm 17g 40 Nummi M monogram.jpg
    BZ Justinian I 527-565 CE AE Folles 30mm 17g 40 Nummi M monogram

13. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

This post inspired me to look over my modest collection of Byzantines. I seem to have an example just like the OP's. Crude and kinda green:

Byzantine - Justinian Follis Jan 18 (1).JPG
    Byzantine - Justinian Follis Jan 18 (2).JPG

Byzantine Empire - Æ Follis
    Justinian I (527-538 A.D.)
    Constantinople Mint
    DN IVSTINIANVS PP AVG, pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right / Large M star left., cross above, cross rt., Officina Δ below, mintmark CON in ex.
    SB 158, DOC 28.

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Condition is everything on coins and this is a fine example of that fact. The Justinian example posted by Marsyas Mike is, IMHO, worth 2 - 4 times as much as the first one but opinions on such matters are wide and varied so you might find someone with the opposite view. Mine is different, not necessarily better depending on what parts mean the most to you. Such is the case with most Byzantine bronzes. Perfection is hard to find and faults are hard to compare.
    rz0035bb2673.jpg

Again IMHO, the Caligula has no value unless you want to test the theories offered on whether the coin has bronze disease and whether you can arrest its progression to a pile of powder. BD or not, the coin will never be better looking than it is now. the pits are far past the surfaces so cleaning them will make them less blue but not less ugly. The coin below is a survivor of BD and shows what remains of what was a relatively well detailed coin before it was 'infected'. Cleaning only reveals detail that exists but can not restore parts that have been removed by 'coin cancer'. Is TIF right or gsimonel with the diagnosis? IDK but it makes no practical difference at this point.
    rb1005bbbbbb.jpg

15. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

What a great write-up, @Gavin Richardson!!

I'll pile on, since I dearly love my Caligula, purchased from Frank Robinson back in the 80s. (It was the first time I spent over $200 on a coin.)
    Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 11.42.03 AM.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted