Your opinion about this Indian head cent?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by patt01, May 19, 2012.

1. patt01

patt01 Active Member

Hi all,
    Came across this 1877 Indian head cent and was told it is a key date, so I thought I would run it buy the
    good folks here at CT to find out what you all think about it. Your opinion about rarity, grade and/or possible value would be great. Would it be worth grading? Most of you have seen several of my Morgan
    Dollars, I'm pretty sure this coin hasent been cleaned :) There are a couple of pic's of the same coin..........Thanks, Pat

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

Definitely a key date! With that corrosion I'm not sure it would grade or not. That's a great coin to have! I've seen ones in a lot worse shape sell for a few hundred dollars on Ebay.

4. patt01

patt01 Active Member

Thanks for looking mackwork. The dealer that I use offered me a couple of hundred for It which made me
    think that getting it graded even in it's condition may make it worth a bit more

5. mackwork

You're probably correct on that. Where did you find that one?

6. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

It would probably be graded as genuine-enviromental damage

7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

The date looks a bit funny to me. The key date would be worth the cost of submission even if it only going to get a genuine grade.

8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Looks good to me , it has the week N on the reverse , looks like it was in a fire though . Still worth a couple hundred bucks though .

9. mackwork

Yep it has the shallow N, and the second 7 is a bit lower than the first, as it is on the 1877 IHC.

10. patt01

patt01 Active Member

It was given to us as part of a large collection from the parents. It has been stored
    in a library of coins book titled "Flying Eagle and Indian head cents" 1856-1909
    Vol.1 (from 1958). This collection has been in a closet on a farm in Va. for at least
    50-60 years that I know of. Still have several hundred cents to go thru. Will see if
    I can post a pic of the book to give you some idea

11. patt01

patt01 Active Member

Here is a couple of pic's of the coin book that the cent sat in for the last several decades. Any preservation tips going forward would be helpful. Sorry it took so long, to upload

Attached Files:

12. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

Could we see pictures of the 1856 Flying eagle penny!!!!

13. mackwork

Nice old album! As the album says, that 1856 can be worth a lot, more than the 1877. Not very many authentic 1856 exist. I'd like to see both sides of that one.

14. patt01

patt01 Active Member

Sorry to disapoint you mackwork and tyler. Someone played a dirty trick on me and stuck an 1858 Flying Eagle in the 1856 hole :-( I have 3-1858's and 1-1857

15. mackwork

Oh well. :( You still have the 1877. Is there a 1908-S and 1909-S in the album?

16. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

Welp, busted my bubble

17. patt01

patt01 Active Member

Did a Quick look see mackwork I did find a 1909S but no 1908S I'll keep my fingers crossed as I look thru the rest. I did find several 1909VDB so far

18. mackwork

The 09-S is a lower mintage, more valuable coin than the 08-S so that much is good.
    Lincoln 1909-VDB isn't that rare, but if you find a 1909-S VDB you'll have something good!

19. patt01

patt01 Active Member

Here is a pic of my 1909S unfortunatly I discovered a nick on the rim how bad do you all think that will hurt it? I know about the SVDB and am looking over these coins carefully Was also wondering what the best backround color is for taking pics of copper coins. Stay tuned for my next thread in error coins

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted