Your Opinion: 5 Dollar 1914 S Indian Head

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Alexthegreat, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Alexthegreat

Alexthegreat Active Member

Hey guys :),
    how would you grade this Indian Head? I bought it as a raw coin, what is not
    suspicious here in Germany.
    I think it is a San Francisco coin, but it was sold as one from Denver. Is there a reason for a details grade? For example the Rim?
    I made a video as well.
    Greetings
    Alex

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alexthegreat

Hey guys :),
    how would you grade this Indian Head? I bought it as a raw coin, what is not
    suspicious here in Germany.
    I think it is mint state. Are there problems that could possibly justify a Details grade?
    I made a video as well.
    Greetings
    Alex

Attached Files:

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Prefer photos to a video.

Alexthegreat likes this.
  5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Looks Mint State to me. I don’t know what the marks on the obverse are, and assume it is discoloration and not gouges.

If those marks are at all damage done to the surface of the coin, then an MS details grade may be in order.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Alexthegreat likes this.
  6. Alexthegreat

I forgot to upload them. Sorry! :oops:

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

It is die struck, which is good. Modern Chinese counterfeits are also die struck, so I can't tell you for certain if this is real or not. All I can say is that it looks good to me.

I'd call the grade AU, based on the disturbed luster on the shoulder of the eagle and the cheekbone. I'm judging based on pictures and a video, although the video is quite good and helpful.

I definitely don't see any signs of cleaning or damage which would lead to a details grade. This looks to be "problem free" to me.

Alexthegreat likes this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Definitely a San Francisco minted coin. Why would you say it is a details grade, did you break it out of a holder? BTW posting once is enough.

Alexthegreat likes this.
  9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Who graded it?

Alexthegreat likes this.
  10. Michael K

It looks nice. But buying it in a foreign country is iffy. It's one of the types of coins
    that gets counterfeited a lot. It looks right, but what do I know?
    I'd have to get it certified. This coin has a tremendous jump in value between AU and MS grades.

11. Alexthegreat

I don't think that this is discoloration. Its rather a number of very superficial and
    parallel surface defects. For me it is the question wether this could be happend during coinage or not? Maybe it is a trace from adjusting the coin blanks or a dammage done by the stamp? Both would not ne unusal concerning german gold coinage.

The luster is not disturbed at the eagles sholder. There is more on it than on the other two Indians I shared with you :).

12. Alexthegreat

No, i bought it raw. I asked because of a rim damage on the reverse side. I showed it at the end of the video. Probably this is nothing, but i have not so much knowledge about coin grading :shy:.

Nobody. I bought it together with 1909 D and 1913 in a similar condition from a commercial dealer. All of them had a price of 440 euro = 490 dollars. The other two coins are rather not interesting and probably I will return them.

I am from Germany and so this purchase is not iffy but easy for me. I can return the coin during 14 days and probably the dealer would even take it back in a few months if ngc tells it is wrong. Lets assume it is genuine. Is it probable that it would get an au 55 oder au 58? This coin is certainly not mint state, but there can't be much wear, because of the weight is still 8,365 gram.

13. Michael K

I'm just surprised as you have posted a handful of high grade raw gold coins
    bought in Germany. 8.36 grams is the correct weight. So that is a good sign, but not a 100% guarantee.

14. Alexthegreat

Thank you very much for all the answers. The 1914 S is probably a good deal.
    I am not sure if I should take the philadelphia mint coin. It has a nice luster as you can see in the video, but maybe the price of 450 Euro is too high for a piece with scratches/surface defects.
    By the way: Somebody merged two threds that are not identic! One is about 5 Dollar 1914 from San Francisco and the other coin is from Philadelphia!:woot:

15. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

The 14S seems to be an AU58 coin.
    The Phili coin is not recommended to hold.

Alexthegreat likes this.
  16. Mynter

Mynter Active Member

Hello Alexthegrat,
    I like them both, but I am not too much in to US- gold.

Alexthegreat likes this.
  17. Alexthegreat

Thank you very much for all the opinions. I've sent these coins to NGC n munich and they'll get gradet next week.
    My guess is AU55 for the 1914 S and MS61 for 1914. I think this coin will loose a point for the dammage obserse. Nethertheless it looks to fresh for au58.

Rheingold likes this.
  18. Alexthegreat

I submitted the coins to NGC. 1914 P is MS62 and 1914 S is Au58 :)

Draft saved Draft deleted