Your "Oddly Missing Coin"

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by V. Kurt Bellman, Aug 10, 2018.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

LOL! For mine it was the 68-D. For some odd reason, the S was everywhere.

Sunflower_Coins likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sunflower_Coins

Sunflower_Coins Importer and Exporter

Denver is just a state over, so we are flooded with D coins. I actually found the 68-D in change a lot; I'd be excited until I saw the mintmark wasn't an S.

Another toughie was the 49-S, although my twelve-year-old self may have cheated and bought it from the flea market for a quarter...gosh collecting was simpler back then.

4. V. Kurt Bellman

I actually carry a half roll of BU 1968-S cents with me while traveling to get elongates nicer than on Zincolns.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. Sunflower_Coins

Sunflower_Coins Importer and Exporter

Ok, now that just makes me depressed.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

It's just that I must have about 10-12 BU rolls of 1968-S cents, more than any other pre-1982 date/mintmark.

7. V. Kurt Bellman

I'm now scouring through way too much spam in my email inbox to see if Dave Harper responded, but I did email him on the Friday before the biggest show of the year, and he needs to pack.

8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

This thread inspired me to actually get three OMC’s today at my LCS. I am now one coin away from finishing my Ike set. These coins all qualify for OMC as there are millions upon millions of them out there. I got:
    1974S
    1976S Type 1

Like I said easy to get at my LCS. Took me two seconds to get the proofs and about 1 minute to get the 78. I also got a miscellaneous Whitman Dollar book to display my set. Now it’s that dang 72 Type 2 that’s left to get.

9. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

That's the one I need too (72 Type 2). Not sure it really qualifies as an OMC though. What says you Kurt?

10. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

The 72 Type is the “King” of the set. Don’t think it qualifies for OMC.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  11. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Mine's a 34 D and 35 D buffalo nickels. When i get a little cash. I'll be getting me those double d's. Looked thru more then a few 50 cent buff nickel jugs to no avail

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  12. Cheech9712

Funny for you to mention the 77d. Similar problem years ago putting together grandbabies sets.

13. Cheech9712

Another is the 51s penny

14. Cheech9712

Sure. Good idea. We all have an OMC. This should be a huge thread indeed. Good topic.

15. Cheech9712

Ahhh yeah. A small treasure

16. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I don’t have any business strike of the last four years. That’s more like laziness and lack of interest in the modern business strikes. It’s also because my Jefferson set is all somewhat toned, so I wait a few years to find one to match the set. And I need new pages in a couple Dancos.

I haven’t even collected any quarters since the end of the state quarters.

This feels sort of like a group therapy session. Hi, my name is Kirk and I’m a lazy coin collector. (All together now....) Hi Kirk.

17. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

18. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

You could always get a copy of the Korean cookbook, "101-Ways to Wok Your Dog".

19. JDL

JDL Member

Probably for the same reason finding a 2017-P in Philly is such a chore - HOARDERS!

CoinCorgi likes this.
  20. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

Forgot about this one too. I have enough of some wheats that I could fill rolls. Counting the one in my album, I believe I have 2 51-Ss. It was the last post-33 wheat I added.

21. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

My OMC is a 1954-S Roosevelt dime. My last three attempts to fill that hole were unsuccessful. Twice I have purchased the coin in plastic. Hey the deals were way too good. The third one resulted in a raw toned coin. I was going for the blast white look in the folder. But, the toned dime was really nice. So I used it for the hole at the top of the folder. You know where it has a hole for the obverse and reverse. The hunt carries on.

Draft saved Draft deleted