Your "Oddly Missing Coin"

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by V. Kurt Bellman, Aug 10, 2018.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Sweet! How long will you hold out before butchering a cheap 1978 mint set? Bman, you’re a buddy. Let me check a few rolls I have stashed. No promises. It’s been a while.

Bman33 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

Hey, do you count this 1971-D Happy Bird, Type 2 thingy as one? If I have any 1978’s it’s certain they’re Philly.

4. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

The FEV? I count it in my set yes. I can't identify it without looking for the "falling rock" On one of the craters. It's so fun finding the varieties though. You are at a show or a shop and you are going through all this common stuff and then you find it!

5. V. Kurt Bellman

Yeah, that’s it. I watched the Ravens/Rams last night. Happy birds were on my mind. The Rams seem to need better depth among the big uglies on both sides of the ball.

Cheech9712 and Bman33 like this.
  6. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Ahh, Football Season. The best time of year for me!

7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The major omission in my Peace dollar set is the 34-s. Probably will accept a circulated example at some point. An MS60 has dropped in price guides from about $3,100 to about $1,900.

But I’m not in a hurry. Peace dollars have gone down lately like the Turkish stock market.

HAB Peace 28 2.0 likes this.
  8. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

My OMC at the moment is an acceptable 1859 IHC for my type set. They’re everywhere yet I can't find a raw one that is acceptable.

9. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

@TheGame Pm me with your addy, I'll drop one in the mail for you (NMI, denver mint)

10. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

1921 Denver Walking Liberty Half Dollar. It's the last coin to complete a set started some 60 years ago by my Wife's late Grandfather. They are all over the place, it's just tough to come off of the money, even for an AG3....

Taurus57 likes this.
  11. V. Kurt Bellman

I am looking for the same for my 7070.

12. V. Kurt Bellman

Okay, but it's not surprising that that coin is tough. My idea is ones that shouldn't be tough, but are for some random reason.

Nathan401 likes this.
  13. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

I appreciate that a lot, but I like the thrill of the hunt! I'll find one sooner or later. :D

Kasia and CoinCorgi like this.
  14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

When I was a kid (early sixties) the OMC was the 1950-D Jefferson nickle. Back in those archaic, and mundane times, we collectors would pull coins out of pocket change to fulfill our collecting desires. Never did find one and eventually had to succumb to J.J. Teaparty (Boston, if I remember correctly[how profound]) for an example.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  15. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I ended up finding one eventually (and actually own two of them currently), but when I was assembling my date set of large capped bust quarters, my “OMC” was the 1828 quarter. It’s mintage of 106,000 is somewhat low for the series, but certainly not the lowest. I think the reason I was having trouble is that my budget limited me to Good to Good+ coins. I would suppose that these stopped circulating in the 1850s when their intrinsic value exceeded their face value, so a lot of 1828’s probably didn’t get a chance to wear down to Good. If you look they are more available in VG and up.

16. V. Kurt Bellman

Noice!

17. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

My sympathies, I totally agree on this one. I finally picked one up last year that wasn't pretty gold but acceptably toned and CRISP. There are tons of them with good detail but all the devices are rounded.

Yankee42 and V. Kurt Bellman like this.
  18. V. Kurt Bellman

Exactly what I'm finding. ^^^

Yankee42 likes this.
  19. charlottedude

charlottedude Novice Collector

My OMC is the 1807 Bust Left Half Eagle from the 1798-1812 run. Oddly enough, that date/type was the 3rd coin I acquired for that set @ 13 years ago in a PCGS AU-50 holder. I crossed it to NGC AU-58 and sold it a few months later. It was a bit too “bright” (read: brightened) for my tastes. It’s a fairly available date, in series terms, and there are several currently being offered in the grades I want (AU50 to AU58) by a few dealers out here. None of them have the look I want, although there is one that is close, but just a few too many small hits on the obverse. Good thing I’m in no rush to complete it.

20. V. Kurt Bellman

I have to bow to your superior knowledge of the series. If it's a piece someone of your resources SHOULD have, but doesn't, it qualifies.

charlottedude likes this.
  21. Sunflower_Coins

Sunflower_Coins Importer and Exporter

I'm not much into sets, but I filled a 1941-1974 Lincoln cent folder when I was a kid. The Wheaties I pulled from cheap rolls at the flea market; the memorials I got from my Dad's change. A couple of weeks in it was almost full-almost. The slot for the 1968-S was empty. It took my Dad and I almost a year of bank roll searching a couple times a month to fill that slot.

All these years later, if I find a 68-S in change, my brain tells me to keep it.

Draft saved Draft deleted