Your Most Expensive Ancient/Medieval Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Mar 15, 2017.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Can't remember if this has been done already but I figure between newer members and new acquisitions over time it can't hurt to start this thread. As the title goes, post the top few ancient or medieval coins that really beat up your wallet, the ones that threw you in the doghouse or the wagon for a long time, the coins that could pay your ransom, you get the idea :D You don't need to disclose how much you paid (if you want to give at least an idea of how much put like "somewhat under $1000" or something), and if you'd like you could inform on what helps to make your coins as expensive as they are, and maybe what you had to do to get it. Also, I'd like to keep this at 5 or less coins per person and with the coins by order of their cost, but I won't nitpick about this.

1.) Sisebut, Visigothic Kingdom
    AV tremissis
    Obv: + SISEBVTVS REX, bust facing
    Rev: + TOLETO PIVS, bust facing
    Mint: Toledo
    Date: 612-621 AD
    Ref: Miles 183a

[​IMG]

I originally bought a different one from Emerita mint but was instead sent this one. They were pretty much in the same condition and I had preferred one from the Visigothic capital of Toledo so I kept this one and didn't press the issue. Visigothic gold coins in general aren't prohibitively rare but are rare enough to make them usually more expensive than your typical Roman and Byzantine gold.

2.) Jovinus, Western Roman Empire
    AR siliqua
    Obv: D N IOVIN-VS P F AVG, Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: VICTOR-IA AVGG, Roma seated left on stylized cuirass, holding Victory on globe and reversed spear
    Mint: Lugdunum
    Mintmark: SMLDV
    Date: 411-413 AD
    Ref: RIC X 1717

[​IMG]

In addition to the horrendously-rare legitimate Western emperors of the 5th century like Julius Nepos, Glycerius, Priscus Attalus, etc. there are also the extremely rare usurpers as well. Jovinus is one of them. I wasn't up to speed on prices for Jovinus coins other than "he is rare enough where it would most likely take me years until I could afford one" but fortunately I came across this one at what i thought was a reasonable price, where the raising of the money within a reasonable amount of time was doable. All I need now is to find his brother Sebastianus in a unidentified lot :D

3.) Justinian, Byzantine Empire
    AV solidus
    Obv: D N IVSTINI-ANVS P P AVG, helmeted, cuirassed bust facing, holding cross on globe and shield
    Rev: VICTORI-A AVGGG delta, angel standing facing, holding P-headed cross and cross on globe, star in right field
    Mint: Constantinople
    Mintmark: CONOB
    Date: 542-565 AD
    Ref: SB 140

[​IMG]

I feel like I am pretty picky when it comes to Byzantine gold. I could have settled for a "cheapo" one with an amateur-ish looking style and worn and clipped, but I wanted something better. With mine, the face is more lifelike (Justinian was compared in likeness to Domitian and I can see this on my coin), and there is great detail all around.

4.) Maurice Tiberius, Byzantine Empire
    AV solidus
    Obv: D N mAVRC TIb PP AVC, diademed, helmeted, and cuirassed bust facing, holding globus cruciger in left hand
    Rev: VICTORI-A AVGG ∆, Victory standing facing, holding long staff surmounted with staurogram in left hand and globus cruciger in right hand
    Mint: Constantinople
    Mintmark: CONOB
    Date:582-602 AD
    Ref: SB 476
    Size: 4.29 g., 21 mm wide

[​IMG]

The typical art style of Byzantine coins does not appeal to people as much to that of earlier Roman and Greek coins, but when done right it can still look attractive. In addition to the clear details on the profile, I was drawn in by the neatness of the whole thing, like nothing seems out of proportion or oddly-shaped or anything (compared to a lot of other Byzantine profiles that I see).

5.) Majorian, Western Roman Empire
    AE nummus
    Obv: D N IVL MAIORIANVS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped bust right
    Rev: VICTORI-A AVGGG, Victory advancing right, holding palm branch and trophy
    Mint: Milan
    Mintmark: MD
    Date: 457-461 AD
    Ref: RIC X 2642

[​IMG]

Majorian is one of the very rare Western Roman emperors I mentioned above. Yes, even little bronze nummi coins of them can get pricey, due to their scarcity and the relative popularity of these hard-to-get emperors. On the obverse of mine you can see "N IVL MAIOR", with the "O" in the form of a simple dot (an distinctive feature of Majorian nummi). Oh and did I mention that Majorian is my favorite Roman emperor? :woot: At the beginning of his reign the collapsing Western Roman Empire only consisted of Italy and bits of Gaul but under his leadership, within 4 years the empire greatly expanded back into most of Gaul and Hispania, and he was about to mount an invasion to retake Carthage and the rest of North Africa from the Vandals. It was foiled due to treachery and soon after Majorian was betrayed and assassinated. Fifteen years later (in 476 AD), the Roman Empire in the west was no more.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet!! => man, those are fantastic coins, Jango (congrats)

Ummm, these are my only "4" examples that've broken/touched the $1000 ceiling (delivered)

1) Calabria Tarentum, AR Nomos
    Calabria Tarentum.jpg

2) Syracuse Heiron I Tet
    Syracuse Hieron I.jpg

3) Otacilia Severa AE Sestertius
    Otac Hippo.jpg

4) Anonymous Aes Grave Sextans

Anonymous Aes Grave Sextans.jpg

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Caligula Denarius Caligula 4.jpg

5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

caligula.jpg
    Caligula denarius. this popped up on FAC one day when I was building my 12 Caesars collection. I know it is very worn but it was the only Caligula denarius to appear for months. Plus it has Agrippina on the reverse. It is my most expensive coin to date.

galba ric 193.jpg
    After putting together the 12 I was looking to upgrade some of the coins so that I could have all 12 in vf or better. This was another FAC coin. It had been on the site for months before I puled the trigger. I did not realize how scarce the coin was until after I received the coin. It is in much better condition than the British Museum example. This one was considerably less than the Caligula but it is my second most expensive coin. I had been looking for a nice Galba denarius and the was certainly an upgrade to the first one I bought.

6. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

@Bing
    Thanks for showing that Caligula. I really like that coin.

panzerman and gregarious like this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I love the coin, but I hate what I had to pay to get it. If my wife knew, we wouldn't be celebrating our 49th wedding anniversary next week.:oops:

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow, Caligula/Agrippina! Nice.

9. Alegandron

10. Alegandron

Wow, Dude! As I march down the Roman Rulers road, you have one that I want!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    panzerman likes this.
  11. Alegandron

Fantastic, Steve!

panzerman, Mikey Zee and stevex6 like this.
  12. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Currently, the only ancient coin I have that's anywhere near the league of some of these coins is my classical owl tet at around $1000. No pictures, unfortunately, but I'm working on that. :)

I am casually hunting for JC, Claudius, and Caligula denarii, however... and @Bing's Caligula is very nice compared to what I've seen.

Puckles, panzerman, Mikey Zee and 4 others like this.
  13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

My 5 (all well under $1000)

This Otho is by far the most expensive coin I've bought.
    IMG_2118 (1).JPG

These next 2 came heavily discounted after helping the local coin shop, but still pricey for me. I was going to get a Corinthian stater but someone bought it and most of the ancients they had except these 2 and one other (an Agrippa as which I later got) that were held for me. They were cheaper than the other 3 individually but they came as a pair.
    022.JPG 009.JPG
    Also from the local shop and a nice price.
    a3881.JPG

This was the least expensive of the list.
    argos (1).JPG

14. Alegandron

These a great coins Randy!

panzerman, gregarious and randygeki like this.
  15. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

My most expensive Ancient

JC portrait k.jpg

My most expensive medieval

Grosso.jpg

16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

In my database there is a report called "Price" that I don't like opening. It sorts from the most to least expensive with a total at the bottom.

Well, I'll toss my top five up...

#5 - I like the green coloring this coin has and even though it's a common type, it is still a nice Caligula.
    [​IMG]
    Gaius Caligula, AD 37-41
    Æ As, 29mm, 11.5g, 6h; Rome mint, AD 37-8
    Obv.: C CAESAR AVG GERMANICVS PON M TR POT, bare head left.
    Rev.: VESTA above, S C across field, Vesta, veiled and draped, seated left on ornamental throne, holding patera and long transverse scepter.

#4 I like the facing portraits and this one filled that bill nicely.
    [​IMG]
    Islands off Caria, Rhodes.
    AR Didrachm, 21mm, 6.6 g, 12h; c. 305-275 BC
    Obv.: Head of Helios facing slightly right.
    Rev.: Rose with bud to right; E and grape bunch to left.

Two tied for #3 so here they both are:

#3 - I collect the Gallic empire coins and Mars/Virtus reverses so this ticked too boxes nicely. I also love large bronze coins so that made me happy too.
    [​IMG]
    Postumus, AD 260-269
    Ӕ Sestertius, 31x29mm, 19.2g, 12h; Lugdunum mint, AD 261
    Obv.: IMP C POSTVMVS PF AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: VIRTVS AVG, Mars standing right holding spear and leaning on shield.

I'm also after the Seleucids. This was my first expensive coin. I think the style is great with everything on the coin and clear.
    [​IMG]
    Antiochus VII Euergetes, Seleucid Kingdom, BC 138-129
    AR, tetradrachm, 16.59g, 30mm; 12h; Antioch
    Obv.: Diademed head of Antiochus VII right
    Rev.: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY EVEPΓETOY; Athena Nikephoros standing left; to outer left, monogram above A; all within wreath.

#2 I haven't posted this one yet - it's thick and AWESOME!!!
    [​IMG]
    PAMPHYLIA, Aspendos.
    AR Stater, 22mm, 10.78g, 12h; c. 380/75-330/25 BC.
    Obv.: Two wrestlers grappling; ΦK between, below
    Rev.: Slinger in throwing stance right; EΣTFEΔIIYΣ to left, counterclockwise triskeles of legs to right; lion countermark in lower right field.

#1 My most expensive to date. I had to have a lifetime tet from Alexander the Great and this coin was that one. I got it for a very good price, I think. Other sellers had the same coin in lesser quality for a couple hundred more than I paid.
    [​IMG]
    Macedonian Kingdom, Alexander III
    AR tetradrachm, 17.18g; Amphipolis mint, lifetime issue, struck under Antipater, c. 325-323 BC.
    Obv.: Head of Herakles right, clad in Nemean Lion scalp headdress tied at neck.
    Rev.: AΛEΞANΔΡOY Zeus enshrined left, throne without back and two leg struts,bright leg forward (archaic lifetime style), eagle in extended right hand, long scepter vertical behind in left hand, TE monogram lower left, concave field

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  17. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Possibly my smallest coin but also my most expensive. These sestertii are not uncommon but many have serious issues with crystallization or other problems and just weren't attractive at all to me, so when I saw this one for sale for a reasonable price from a dealer on Vcoins I jumped at it. It also helped that I had a Vcoins gift card at the time.

Cr44.7combined.JPG
    Roman Republic AR Sestertius(12.75 mm, 1.14 g). Anonymous. After 211 B.C. Rome mint. Helmeted head of Roma right; behind, IIS. Border of dots / Dioscuri galloping right; in linear frame, ROMA. Line border. Crawford 44/7; Sydenham 142; RSC 4.

18. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

What's the point of this thread? Is it to torture ourselves with how much we've spent on some coins, or to celebrate our undying devotion, sacrifice, and resolve in pursuit of the coins we desire? Or perhaps a little bit of both?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  19. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Gotta be both!

RAGNAROK likes this.
  20. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

$225, Edward I, class 9b. Kingston-Upon-Hull mint (minted 1299 to 1301 AD). I overpaid back in 2012, no regrets to this day. I love this coin!

edward i kingston.jpg

Craig Z, dlhill132, Puckles and 16 others like this.
  21. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

Also paid $225 for this, Aethelred II, CRVX type, minted 991 to 997 AD. Cracked flan, so I got a deal. Two most expensive coins I own.

aethelred ii penny.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted