Your Local Coin Club

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kaparthy, Dec 26, 2018.

1. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

How is your local club? What do you all do?

When I got interested in numismatics in 1993, I joined the ANA, the Michigan State Numismatic Society, and the local club in Livingston County. Over the years, I have been a member of local clubs in Albuqueque, Traverse City, Columbus (Ohio), and now, Austin.

Overall, a typical club meeting consists of some business such as planning for the next local coin show and maybe some community outreach. There's a PowerPoint presentation or maybe a Show and Tell, sometimes a coin swap. Often, they hold auctions.

Here in Austin, we have structured our meetings a couple of different ways over the past eight or ten years. For one thing, we got away from and then back to "theater seating." For several years, we set up the room as open circle or horseshoe. With theater seating, you get bunch of passive listeners. Open seating allows for more interaction, sharing information. The problem with that is that the actual presenter is fighting for attention as people talk to each other during the show.

Our meeting place is the local library and they have strict rules about money: they do not want to provide meeting rooms to flea markets, basically. So we do not have auctions. OTOH we are pretty good at giving out door prizes. We also give thank-yous to presenters. We have a "Three Legged Buffalo" drawing: win three times to get a American Silver Eagle. (It can take years...)

We have had many monthly challenges. One was to find in circulation 11 different Federal Reserve Bank $1 A-L, Boston to San Francisco. Another was to collect all of the 21st Century Lincoln Cent types, and then the Jefferson Nickel commemoratives. Winners get prizes, of course.

As for presentations, PowerPoints are pretty easy, but we also have show-and-tells for those who do not like to lecture. PPT topics run a range from US to ancients but saying that does not shed light on the details. Under "US" were the First Coin of the Denver Mint and the Buffalo on US Coins and Paper among many other topics.

In most places, you will find that your actual meeting attendees are about half of the enrolled, dues-paying members. To keep everyone engaged, different clubs have used newsletters, post cards, and, of course now, websites and Facebook pages. Here in Austin, we keep pretty close track of the roster. If you make three meetings a year by September, you get a free ticket for you and a Plus One to the annual Winter Dinner in December. (The attendance sheet is numbered and we draw chits for winners of door prizes.)

Paul M. and Chris B like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

There are a few clubs local to me that I am a member of, but the Fairfax Coin Club is the closest to me. I'm a board member and webmaster for the club.

Our club meetings alternate their structure every other month like this:

Odd Months
    • Bourse
    • Announcements
    • "Show and Tell" Presentation (15 minutes)
    • Auction
    • Raffle (Silver)
    Even Months:
    • Bourse
    • Announcements
    • Educational Presentation (45 minutes/15 minutes Q&A)
    • Raffle (Silver)
    • Raffle (Gold)
    This way we can still provide the club Auctions but we also focus on education. We've had presentations on a wide variety of numismatic topics, as well as some well-known presenters like Roger Burdette (he is also a club member) and Peter Tompa.

Paul M. and kaparthy like this.
  4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Red Rose Coin Club of Lancaster, PA meets twice monthly.
    Daniel Boone Coin Club of Reading, PA meets twice monthly.
    Harrisburg Coin Club meets once monthly.

At RRCC, it's business, then a talk, then an auction. Typical attendance is 75-120.

At DBCC, it's business, then an auction. Typical attendance is 30ish.

At HCC, it's a business meeting and some show and tell. Typical attendance is 20ish.

Chicago Coin Club meets monthly PLUS extras at Chicagoland shows. Business, then show and tell AS A JUDGED ITEM. Prizes are awarded annually. Typical attendance is 50ish.

5. kaparthy

Red Rose is a premier local club with a national reputation. I heard that they have exhibits at every meeting with club judging and that is why Red Rose members win national awards at ANA conventions.

Also, while Lancaster is really just suburban Philadelphia, the fact is that their attendance figures are astrounding for a local club. It speaks to the high esteem that their members have for the club and for the activism of the club in the numismatic community at large in the area.

Paul M. likes this.
  6. kaparthy

I also have served as an officer several times for several clubs. I prefer being the secretary or vice president. I like to do the work, rather than stand up and talk, though I do give presentations. I was webmaster of MSNS from 2004-2011, an extremely behind-the-scenes opportunity, though the work is evident to everyone in the world.

There is hardly a local club that cannot tap national-level talent like that. We have people here in central Texas but getting them invited and involved is like rounding up mustangs. Still, just about any local club can arrange for almost-famous experts to come and talk. And, really, most people know more than they let on or even realize. That is why the open circle seating worked well: people would share information.

Paul M. likes this.
  7. kaparthy

8. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I did a stint as Red Rose President (I received the host club award at the Philly 2012 ANA show), and a stint as Secretary. Trust me, there are no Philadelphians active. It's all south midstate PA, primarily Lancaster and Lebanon counties, with a smattering of northern Marylanders thrown in.

And yes, we Red Rosers DO win a healthy sized dose of awards at national shows. Formal exhibiting is TAUGHT at Red Rose.

I learned from The Master, John Eshbach himself. I've exhibited at ANA summer conventions three times. Two golds, one silver, one Derek Pobjoy Award.

I'm not sure if I'm exhibiting at Pittsburgh this year, but Chicagomont is a certainty.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  9. kaparthy

Our dues are $3 per year, the same as they were in 1969 when we were founded as the second coin club in Austin.

Draft saved Draft deleted