Your Latest Acquisition - Ancients

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 1934 Wreath Crown, Apr 24, 2018.

1. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

I recently won this SELEUCID KINGDOM, Antiochus I Soter (281-261 BC) tetradrachm. Wasn't particularly looking for an Ancient but I think the big bidders were on a Champagne break and I saw my chance :)

Metal and strike both looked good to me and a price I could afford

Post your latest acquisitions and if I've inadvertently started a thread that already exists, please point me in the right direction:p

SELEUCID KINGDOM Antiochus I Soter AR tet Obv.jpg

SELEUCID KINGDOM Antiochus I Soter AR tet Rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. meme18

meme18 Member

Nice coin!Well you already know my latest acquisition from the Antiochus IV thread :)

4. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Najib, welcome back. any other tets, from yesterday's auction
    I was bidding on this one, but lost it: upload_2018-4-24_10-14-40.png upload_2018-4-24_10-14-40.png

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..my latest coin is a denarius of Faustina the Younger.. my latest acquisition is this antique Edison tube record, which came in last nite:) Faustina jr. denarius 002.JPG Faustina jr. denarius 003.JPG moth edison record 002.JPG

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nice one, @1934 Wreath Crown :)

As for the thread purpose... it has been attempted a few times in recent memory but unlike on other CT boards, the "post your most recent purchase" types of threads fizzle out because most people seem to prefer to post a dedicated thread for their new coins, where they can say a bit about the coin's history or the reason for its purchase and where their efforts will not be overlooked.

Curtisimo, galba68, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
  7. 1934 Wreath Crown

@TIF I can understand that.....unfortunately I don't know enough about Ancients so I'll try this simpler option for a while :)

8. 1934 Wreath Crown

@Svarog the bidding on Ancients yesterday was very slow with most coins selling below estimates.....I had picked up a nice Otho denarius a couple of days back which I posted here....dedicated thread.

Also got one very nice scarce 1862 Australia sovereign and some nice South African Pond coins. Pricey but rare and cheaper than they had sold on earlier dates. All in all a good auction ;)

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

nice tet @1934 Wreath Crown !

I will toss out a couple that I recently snapped up and probly not posted:

Sight-unseen purchase of Pyrrhus... low cost, worth it. These can be hard to capture.
    Syracuse Sicily Pyrrhus 278-275 BCE AE 24mm 9.2g HeraklesHd - Athena Promachos SG1213 LE584.jpg
    Syracuse Sicily Pyrrhus 278-275 BCE AE 24mm 9.2g HeraklesHd - Athena Promachos SG1213 LE584

upload_2018-4-24_13-29-51.png
    RI Laelianus 269 CE AE Ant 19mm 3.4g Moguntiacum rad cuir - VICTORIA AVG Victory wreath palm branch RIC 9 Sear 3151-bkgrnd

upload_2018-4-24_13-31-0.png
    Carthage Zeugitana AE Shekel Sardinia 300-264 BCE Tanit Horse Head Palm 18mm 4.8g sprues SNG Cop 173-no pellet below horse

oh, wow @ominus1 ! That Tunes-Tube is REALLY cool! What song is on it from Eddies Rock'n'Roll company???

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Balbinus and Pupienus from an @John Anthony auction of two weeks back.

balbinus1.jpg

balbinus2.jpg

pupienus1.jpg

pupienus2.jpg

12. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

Durangs Hornpipe Medley..1923..John Baltzell

Alegandron likes this.
  13. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

The most recent one to actually arrive in the mail ...

Antoninus Pius TEMPORVM FELICITAS Sestertius.jpg
    Antoninus Pius, AD 138-161.
    Roman orichalcum sestertius; 22.75 gm, 30.7 mm, 12 h.
    Rome, AD 149.
    Obv: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P XII, laureate bust right, slight drapery on left shoulder.
    Rev: TEMPORVM FELICITAS, COS IIII in exergue, S C across field, crossed cornucopiae from which a grape bunch flanked by two grain ears hang, surmounted by confronted busts of two children.
    Refs: RIC 857; BMCRE 1827-29; Cohen 813; RCV 4236; Strack 1026; Banti 411.

14. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I had just bought a Probus, but I liked the reverse a lot, and the price was right. I think this is RIC 45 IMG_0760.JPG IMG_0758.JPG
    Probus 276-283 AD
    Lyons Mint
    IMP CM AVR PROBVS AVG
    radiate cuirassed bust right
    ORIENS AVG
    Sol holding whip and bow, treading down captive right. Mint mark III

I like the dark patina with the spattering of silvering in crevices of both sides of the coin. The portrait is deeply struck, and the reverse has a strong message.

15. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aaand I posted this on a different thread, but not the attribution
    Licinius I 308-324AD
    Siscia mint
    IMP LIV LICINVS PF AVG
    laureate head right
    IOVI CONSERVATORI
    Jupiter standing left holding victory and sceptre, eagle at foot with wreath in its beak. e to right. Mint mark SIS
    RIC 8E IMG_0755.JPG IMG_0756.JPG

16. 1934 Wreath Crown

KINGDOM of MACEDONIA Philip III Arrhidaios. 323-317 BC. AR Tetradrachm
    I was just reminded by CNG that I had won this at one of their auctions and they were holding it for me. Their description of the coin is "Susa mint. Struck under Koinos, circa 322-320 BC. Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin / Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; below throne, ΛA above strut. Price P208 var. (in name of Philip III); CNG E-266, lot 80; M&M GmbH 44, lot 136. VF, lightly toned, small scratch on reverse. Very rare, none in Pella database, only two in CoinArchives"

Is it really rare and worth having graded or should I just keep it raw and free??

Kingdom of Macedonia Philip III Arrhidaios Tet Obv.jpg

17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Are you wondering if it should be slabbed because it's a rare version of a common type of coin? As the saying goes, rarities are common in ancient coins.

If the coin rated the magic letters (AU or MS), and if your purpose was to flip it for a profit, then yes, slabbing would probably increase the value of the commodity regardless of whether this precise type was common or rare. I don't think this coin would be granted those letters.

Leave that poor coin wild and free!! :)

18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

NEKKID! NEKKID! NEKKID!!!

I freed this guy several years ago, and he loves being NEKKID!
    upload_2018-4-27_15-50-28.png
    RI Augustus AR Denarius struck 2 BC-14 AD Caius and Lucius Caesars stdg shield spear Sear 1578 NGC4276216-007

19. 1934 Wreath Crown

I agree....keep him free. At best it would get an XF 4/4

20. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Ancient-coin collectors prefer raw coins. Grading is largely for beginners who come from collecting US coins. Many of them are used to slabbed coins in which the precise MS number can make a huge difference in cost. The same coin, submitted twice, may get different numbers and change in value! Are US collectors buying the coin or the slab?

Slabs provide a sense of security to beginners. However, anyone who cares more about the NGC grade number of an ancient coin than its condition (a term which encompasses grade, but includes much more) has proven he knows little about value in the area of ancient coins.

Leave it raw and join us as a real ancient-coin collector.

21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Slabs add value to coins that have nothing going for them other than condition but less to those which would attract collectors who were looking for that coin whether or not it happened to be in a slab. NGC does not flag desirability of the type but only rates how that example looks compared to all others like it. I don't see this coin as particularly rare or special as a type but just a decent coin that would sell better in an MS/AU slab and not as well in a EF box. How much do you bet on a high grade label?

GerardV likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted