Your help please on older coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by rmz, Nov 25, 2019.

1. rmz

rmz Member

Hello again
    Would you please offer your opinions on this one. So far
    "The anonymous follis shown above depicts Christ enthroned and is attributed to the period A.D. 1042-1060. The Greek inscription on its reverse translates to “Jesus Christ, King of Kings.”
    Is it authentic..is it scarce or common.
    It was given me by a friend about 40 years ago..for that reason it is very valuable to me.
    Thank you IMG_1536.JPG IMG_1535.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Lovely!! I am a big fan of these, though I do not consider myself an expert by any stretch. You are correct about the inscription on the reverse. That was what set the hook for me! I own maybe a dozen of these currently...... Yes, I do believe yours is authentic. They are lovely and not particularly rare. Like any coin, the value is tied to the condition. On these the deciding factor tends to be the clarity of Christ's face and the centering of the reverse. Yours is maybe a fifty dollar coin and is quite lovely!

furryfrog02 and rmz like this.
  4. rmz

rmz Member

Again, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. The inscription did it for me as well. My friend gave it to me but didn't tell me exactly what it was.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but it looks like yours was overstruck on another coin as well.

352sdeer, rmz and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Post it in the Ancients Forum for more information.

Draft saved Draft deleted