Your greatest finds

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Merc Crazy, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Just like the title says, post up your greatest finds of each denomination. These threads come up from time to time, but now that we have our own forum, I figured it was a good time to start a new thread.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

For me...

$1 coins;

Two notable major finds. One was recent (a few days ago), and the other, not so much.

The recent one;

2 MS Morgan dollars out of a roll of dollar coins. The rest were BU '72's... all T1 & T3. Both Morgans are Philly's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The older one;

$5 from a teller at a dump bank of mine... 3 Morgans and a '72 T2 in MS63ish.

[​IMG]

Halves;

Several notable major finds, including several finds of 2-3 rolls of solid 40% silver. I'm just going to post the three biggest, though.

The first was 3 rolls of mixed WLH's and Franklins... a total of 61 (Yeah, there was an extra one, lol) 90% silver halves.
    [video=youtube;fhzBa6T5RnQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhzBa6T5RnQ[/video]

The second was about a month ago. 92 40% silvers, including an original BWR of 1967's, and 24 90%ers.

[video=youtube;20gAsfLIdqE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20gAsfLIdqE[/video]

Also last month, after the above find, a single box of halves gave up 76 40%ers and 2 '64's, my best box ever by a country mile.

[​IMG]

Quarters;

Nothing notable besides getting two in one box. Super find. Not.

Dimes;
    Two notable finds. The first was my second box I ever did. 19 Merc dimes and 8 roosies.

[​IMG]

The second was a bag of $635. It produced 60 silver dimes. Every one was a Roosie.

[​IMG]

Haven't had a big dime hit like that in a LONG time.

Nickels;
    I've stumbled on caches of V-Nicks (46 in a box) and Buffalo's (16, 16, and 14). The best individual coin was an AU '25 Buff. :)

The V-Nicks
    [​IMG]

The Buffs... Note that the 14 box and one of the 16's came from the same bank just 2 days apart.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for cents, I've never had any crazy finds in terms of volume of collectable coins, but I have had one box that produced over 100 wheats, as well as a few boxes that gave up IHC's. By far the best find out of all the cents I've searched is a '99 WAM that would grade MS63RD. Not gonna bother posting a pic. :)

Noah Finney, NLL and Bambooski like this.
  4. thecoinlover

thecoinlover Active Member

Dollars: None

Half Dollar: None

Quarter: NoneDime: None

Nickels: A dateless buffalo nickel. It was actually the first bank roll I got!. Also got a 1943-P war nickel, got me suprised. Also found that same Bahamas coin you have in the picture.

Pennies: Wheats. Only one per roll or something like that. Still waiting for that Indian! :)

5. Jon4485

Jon4485 Junior Member

dimes: 2 silvers in 1 box!

halves: 3 40% and 1 1964 and 1 Franklin !

pennies: none :(

Nickels: have yet to search

Quarters none!

pretty sad i know lol

6. VACookey

VACookey New Member

My greatest find? This forum

:)

7. ChesterCoperPot

ChesterCoperPot Junior Member

After seeing you profile pic I will say the same little lady, :cool:. You're cute, here I thought you were some grandma or something this whole time, LOL. Sorry for thinking that, the grandma part.

Okay for my finds:

Dollars: nothing
    Halves: Box 11 40%ers 2 90%ers, Loose 5 40%ers 2 90%ers
    Quarters: 1 Wash in 1 Box
    Dimes: 4 Rosies in 1 Box
    Nickels: 4 War Nickels in 1 Box
    Pennies: 1 Indian Head found

8. Noobismatist

Noobismatist Junior Member

Dollars - I got 2 silver Morgans about two years ago
    Halves - Two rolls of Franklins and a roll of 1964 Kennedy's in one day!
    Quarters - A few silver quarters here and there
    Dimes - I have found two whole rolls of silver dimes, one roll with 46 silver dimes and another roll with 35 silver dimes which a few were silver proofs
    Nickels - My best find probably was a 1938-D nickel in a good Au shape
    Pennies- Not quite sure, too many special finds

9. Hellofthenorth

Hellofthenorth New Member

I have had a couple great half dollar finds.
    My First ever find was 49 x 40%ers out of 5 rolls of halves. The teller had them in her mini vault for years she said and the wrappers had all the dates written on them.
    My single best ever find was 99 x 40%er's and 11 x 1964's out of $326.50 CWR, even the $6.50 loose was loaded with silver.
    Dimes - 16 silvers from $85 BWR back in October on a road trip and my first ever box of dimes had 12 Roosies.
    Quarters - 1 from $100 CWR

I was spoiled in the begining, reality set in quickly. I take pictures now, so I hope to have anothe monster score so I can shoot some photos to share.

HOTN

10. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Blank quarter planchets. Not rare by any means but to find a bunch in mint rolls was exciting:

[​IMG]

11. Melina

Melina Nickel Addict

THIS. Was hands down, my greatest find.

12. model77

model77 Silver Stacker

That's [​IMG]

13. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Were those intended for Canadian quarter strikes?

14. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Yup, seemed just yesterday you hit that home run! Congrats again Melina, story of the year.

15. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Yes.

16. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Starting 2 know something

03-05-2010 05:39 PM #4663
    Inquisitive

[h=2][​IMG] This is what its all about[/h]
    I went to three banks yesterday to obtain halves.

The first gave me 62$, out of which I got 1 '64 and one '68 (looks like S over D, but I couldn't get a good picture).

The second gave me 18$, nothing.

The third gave me 230$. 10 loose, 50 wraped in tape, and 170 hand rolled.

1 40% from the loose.

1 40% from the taped.

From the hand rolled:

3 40%
    13 '64's (90%)
    2 Walkers

322 Frankies :yawn:
    [​IMG] Attached Thumbnails[​IMG]

Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/t10176-311/#ixzz1n1S5mvXJ

17. model77

model77 Silver Stacker

I'm sorry. I think there seems to be a typo here. It says 322 Frankies. :eek::p

You guys gotta stop doing this! It makes me think I can too!

18. Inquisitive

I've also gotten 31 Silver washington quarters from a single teller. I have to assume that someone deposited them that day, as I also got 15 40% halves from the teller.

19. model77

model77 Silver Stacker

How did that happen? Did you ask for silver quarters or did she just know what she had and offer them to you?

20. Inquisitive

Ask, and look at teller's tray. Truthfully I don't remember what promted me, but I almost always ask if I can take a look.

21. Inquisitive

Best day for dollar coins was 4 1921 Morgans, also a while back. The head teller was so mad! She told the teller that offered me the coins right there (in front of me) to always show her stuff first. I'm lucky that I got them.

Draft saved Draft deleted