Your first silver coin

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Noah Finney, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

post your first silver coin that you found coin roll hunting, here. Like to see that silver thanks.. PS it can be gold or it can be wheat cents

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I'd have to go through a lot of tubes to find my first silver. It was a Frankie that was pretty worn. I went through 6 boxes of skunks to get that first silver.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Hey, Noah! I hope you realize that there are a lot of us, here, who were born in the 40's. So, every dime, quarter and half dollar in circulation was made of silver.

Chris;););)

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

No pics and not from coin roll searching but what got me started in this over 50 years ago was a 1923 Peace Dollar my grandmother gave me for doing chores for her all day. It's still here somewhere.

6. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

do ya still have it

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What got me started was a Morgan dollar that I won in my hometown poolroom in 1957. I was 10 years old and had never seen one before.

Chris

bhh, Noah Finney and tommyc03 like this.
  8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Yep, but it's been buried a long time in my stash, a keeper for sentimental reasons.

LA_Geezer and Noah Finney like this.
  9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

10. Adam4

Adam4 New Member

my first silver coin was a 1959 d dime

bhh, tommyc03 and Noah Finney like this.
  11. bhh

bhh Well-Known Member

First silver coin found hunting... First Silver.png

Tyler Graton likes this.
  12. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

My first silver coin was a Mercury dime. I don't remember the MM, or the year for that matter. I think I was 10-11 years old and it was my first coin purchase. I sold it a year or two later, along with the rest I had accumulated. I am currently on my third time collecting coins, this time it's for life. I would like to have it (my dime) back now for sentimental reasons, so if anyone happens to find it please let me know. :wideyed: :D

13. Tyler Graton

Tyler Graton Well-Known Member

My first silver coin. I payed 60 bucks for the Morgan 1884.. only got a chance to take a picture of the front, before it was stolen from my room when I had friends over. Only had it for a week :/ But those two dimes I found in coin star and my first found free coins. Still got the crystals and gemstones. There's Australian dog tooth sapphire, black tourmaline, orange citrine, and fluorite. I think I know all the gemstones and I know they are all real gemstones. I have amethyst, Ruby, garnet, peridot, sapphire, emerald, and topaz IMG_0150.JPG

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  14. Baidaigh

Baidaigh New Member

first silver coin was a 1945-D quarter i got in change at a store in Wyoming

Noah Finney and bhh like this.
  15. theshoegazer

theshoegazer Well-Known Member

Got a 1963-D quarter in change about 5 years ago... that's what sent me down this rabbit hole again (I had collected a bit when I was a kid, from approx 1984-89).

Noah Finney likes this.
  16. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Like @cpm9ball I was born in the forties, so I was already out of school and working before the gov stopped issuing silver coins.

I had a coffee can full of quarters and half dollars from the period which sat on top of my chest of drawers in the bedroom. I had started dumping coins into it in 1965 because I had some foresight into future value. These were taken when my house was burglarized in 1981. The crooks were thorough, taking my wife's jewelry and my coins in addition to the two TV sets, audio equipment and even the silverware.

Noah Finney likes this.
  17. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Wow sorry it got stolen what a jerk and very nice gemstones!

Not sure what my first silver was but it couldn't have been too long ago I got it!

Thanks,
    Jacob

Noah Finney and Tyler Graton like this.
  18. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

What started me collecting. Was finding an 1875s twenty cent coin in a creek in 1953/4 while on a Boy Scout camping trip.

Noah Finney, bhh and LA_Geezer like this.
  19. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I can relate to the two posts of "stolen" of which mine was stolen and returned the same day. I think it was 10th grade. I was doing a historical essay on the German inflationary period. Mu teacher asked if I had something I could bring in to relate to this. I did not but brought my Indian Head cent collection instead and gave a lesson on these. A particular classmate showed an interest above and beyond. At lunch I buried it in my desk to come back and find it gone. Told the teach about this kid and lo and behold it was buried in his desk. Got it back but he got an butt whipping by his Dad that same day. Karma! Got an A+ on my report though. Some of the credit to my little brother who collected WW1 memorabilia which helped lead me in the right direction.

Noah Finney and LA_Geezer like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted