Your Favorite Set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by dak, Jun 20, 2007.

?

Whats your Favorite Modern Set to Collect...

1. Cents (pennies)

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Nickels

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. Dimes

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Quarters

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  5. Halves

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Dollars

8 vote(s)
    14.8%
  7. Other

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. dak

dak The Nickel Nut

So I'm curious, I have been pounding these boards with my nickel agenda/propaganda, but I would like to know what your favorite US coin set to collect is and why it is special to you...

I'll Start... Obviously anyone who has spent time on these boards know I love nickels. I enjoy the set very much and actively collect both the Jefferson and Indian Head (buffalo) series. I enjoy nickels especially Jefferson's because of the great variety of errors, the low cost (FS excluded!) and I have always thought nickels were underappreciated... So the lack of mainstream collecting enthusiasm excited me as I always like doing things a little out of the ordinary. Nickels are fun to me, because you can still find a great deal of old (pre 1959 ) ones while roll searching, yet it has the challenge of finding high quality examples in the Unc sets especially nice fully struck coins.

Now I know there is a wide variety of collectors out there but hopefully the poll hits the main ones... Any others, please feel free to chime in and tell us about your special US Coin collection and why you persue it!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. codydude815

codydude815 Wannabe coin dealer

Nickels, nickels, nickels! Love both buffalos and jeffersons.

4. jody526

jody526 New Member

Always been Jefferson nickels, for me.
    I've put together other series sets, and am still working on a few more, but I'm always in the progress of completing, or upgrading a new set of nickels.
    I also have a roll set that isn't quite complete.

5. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

Gonna have to say quaters.

6. dak

dak The Nickel Nut

Is that the New York Pronounciation? lol .. sorry.. I have friends in New York and their accent is hillarious to me!!

7. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

i love nickels

i should say, nickel set is the best.

8. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

oops, lol. Ah ain't no New yawkeh!

ok that was really bad. now i'm southern!

9. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

both cents and nickels

My main set of coins I have always liked best, is my 09-29 Lincoln set. I'm working on the nicest XF / AU set I can. All matched strike and color as possible. I started the set with a beauty Brn AU+ 12-s and have worked from there. 1930 on, I am shooting for fully red and fully struck 65's+.

I also LOVE early Jeffersons because they are affordable, and with some digilence, you can build a set from pocket change, even the war years can be found with enough searching. To me, a beautifully toned 66/67 Jeff is the cat's meow. I love em.

I am helping my son to build a PCGS Flag set of PR DCams on the state quarters. If he loses interest, I get to buy them from him. Can't lose !!;)

10. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

Ok, since everyone is going to say nickels in the hopes that Dak gives them a gold coin, I will be different.

I do like halves, but on my current budget, I would be doing a whole lot of lookin', but not a lot of shakin'

I like Mercs and Roosies because you can do really nices sets for not much money. They ARE small and from 3 feet, I have a hard time telling the difference between an XF and a MS-63, but.....

There is no question that at least the Roosevelts are probably the most overlooked series. And of course, if the price of Silver were to go to Zero, so would the value of the silver set, but it didn't cost that much in the first place....

But once I'm happy with these and I become a very, very rich man, I will head off into the hills in search of "Walker, Franklin and Kennedy" heaven :)

11. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

I have been picking up those Roosys when I can find really nice strikes and awesome toning !! Cheap and yeah, they make a great set.

12. kiwi01

kiwi01 Senior Member

Sorry dak I had to vote pennies. I just love my Indians and wheats!!

13. dak

dak The Nickel Nut

Theres no wrong answer my friend! Just a simple poll to get to know ya'll a bit better...

My collection is very diverse,( but of course it is heavely emphasized that Nickels are my primary collection and daily passion!!)

I too enjoy many different sets, including sets of cents, although they have all been from roll searching I have never bought any cents so needless to say my cent set has a few gaps

...As far as Dimes go, While I do have a set of the Merc's (which I love the design)and Roosevelts (boring) I never much cared for them as a whole they are too small for me to enjoy fully. I always feel like I need a magnifying glass just to appreciate them fully...

I only have a few circulated silver quarters the prices have kept me disinterested in them, I do of course have work in progress of State Quarters (just got my Idaho's today!!.)

Halves, I enjoy searching rolls for silver, but thats about the extent of it... Which is actually kinda odd as the Walking Liberty design is one of my all time favorites (right up there with Buffalo nickels), I don't think it even needs to be said why, its just a beautiful coin, I have slowly worked on an MS set of them but cost is a factor, so I have to bargain hunt these and the set is progressing slowly...

Dollars... I have a few Morgans and a few Peace dollars, not my favorite but nice none the less... I have sets of Modern dollars .. Ikes, SBAs, Sacs, and now working on the Prez set... But dollars as a whole bore me...

Thats just my collection in a nutshell...

14. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

favorite set

i think i loved all of them.

15. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

I don't collect modern... :)

Ben

16. codydude815

codydude815 Wannabe coin dealer

Nickels are my favorite, but mercurys and walkers come in right behind them.

17. TC2007

TC2007 Senior Member

I just got into this hobby a couple of months ago, and at first I was drawn to the big shiny coins (Morgans, Peace, Franklins, Kennedys, etc.), but now you've piqued my interest in nickels. Now that you mention it, nickels are probably one of the last ways you can build a collection out of pocket change, rather than buying through E-Bay or dealers. I'm going to take your cue and go down to my local bank and see if they'll sell me $100 worth of nickels. I'll let you know if I find anything of value. Thanks for the tip!

18. Kage Sama

Kage Sama Local Curmudgeon

Haven't really started anything "modern" (outside of the uncirculated W ASE's). I'm giving Mercury Dimes and Franklin Halfs a thought though. But I'm more interested in the odd denomination coins (2 cent, 3 cent nickel, 3 cent silver, 20 cent pieces) and half cents. I imagine Mercs and Franklins will be more "Hey, that's a great looking coin" rather than a "I'm going to the show specifically to get these dates".

The closest thing to a modern set I'm putting together right now are the Britannias (only need three more) and the Australian Lunar coins.

19. OldDan

OldDan 共和党

It seems that I have always collected Commemoratives. It was more for their historical significance than any thing else. I concentrated on the 1892 - 1954 'silver' coins having a major type as well as those with mint mark variety.
    So when the modern commemoratives came out in 1982 it was seemed to be natural that I would also collect these. I will have to say, I don't collect these like I did the early coins. Some of the latest coins aren' t worth calling U.S. coins, they are so poorly designed and minted.
    If you want a challange, you should try it!

20. dak

dak The Nickel Nut

I just may, I admire the commemorative coins greatly, although I don't own any except a few moderns... I have thought for a while about starting in these, but I have so many interests and my dollars just don't stretch far enough to do everything... I do agree they are very interesting!

21. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Since you said "Modern" I voted for quarters----------but, NOT the states quarters.
    the old GW with eagle set, 1932 to 1998.

Draft saved Draft deleted