Your favorite Roman Emperor!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jlblonde, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

See Constantine and the Donatist controversy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donatism

guy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

That's very interesting about Magnus!

To be honest, I tried to read what I could easily access about him when I first found I had a Magnus Maximus, and found little mention except of his rise as a successful and popular general in Gaul (where, true to Roman form, he decided that was sufficient to proclaim himself Augustus), followed by a (winning) power struggle with Gratian, and a (losing) one with Theodosius & Valentinian II.

If Wikipedia can be trusted, then you're right: He persecuted the "Priscillianists" as Christian heretics, the first ever to do so, killing at least 7. This may have been politically motivated to curry favor with the Pope and Bishops, since his main claim to power seems to have been the ability to take it by force from Gratian. It sounds as if the Priscillianists were executed while trying to appeal to Gratian for mercy (he had sent them into exile), but in the meantime Mag Max had taken his place. (It's still unclear to me how directly involved Mag Max was in Gratian's assassination, but it any case, I doubt it pleased his brother Val II, or Theo, whose rule owed to his relationship with Gratian).

Also according to Wiki: He also censured orthodox Christians for burning a Jewish synagogue.

4. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

It seems Mag Max may have been the first to persecute by executing, not banishment.

5. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

:eek:ld-guy-smile:

Respectfully, the "banishment of the Donatists" was probably not akin to the peaceful removal of the disorganized, relatively pacifistic "Occupy Wall Streeters" by a restrained, politically correct police force.

The Donatists were fanatical and entrenched rabid fundamentalists. The Roman legionaires were a merciless and efficient killing machine. Sounds like a recipe for some fun. :evilGrin:

The pro-Constantine historians tell us that there were only confiscations of church property, banishments, and a rare death.

I think these historians might be minimizing the tensions and violence, especially since Constantine was forced to end his anti-Donatist persecutions after only five years.

guy

6. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

Indeed, true enough!

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

8. ThalerKing

ThalerKing New Member

Ok I know he was not a Roman Emperor and I do not have the coin to display, but I always thought it was funny that Simon bar Kochba aka "Messiah" aka "King of the Jews" had his very own currency during the Roman Empire.

http://www.livius.org/men-mh/messiah/messiah00.html

Of course he was rather short lived and committed some rather barbaric attrocities during his brief reign, but he had his own coin.

So I guess that makes it all worth it.

9. Marsden

Marsden Well-Known Member

I always tell people that the reign of A.P. had to be one sweet period of calm since we know so little about it. No major disasters! And it speaks highly of the man who set the stage for such stability--possibly the most intellectual of emperors, and something of an aesthete besides--Hadrian. Who along with his predecessor, Trajan, would get my vote.

Beautiful coin!

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

GAIUS CAESAR => CALIGULA

=> this dude was off-the-hook CRAZY!!
    Apparently, he became ill and under-went some transformation => he transformed into an incredibly cruel and maniacal person ... his cruelty was legendary and was considered scandalous even by Roman standards at the time (which were already pretty nasty!!)

... hey, I'm not saying that I respect the guy, or that I would have wanted to party with him, "but" as far as interesting Roman Rulers, good ol "CALIGULA" is way up there on the interesting-charts!!

caligula a.jpg caligula b.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted