Your Favorite Coin in Your Collection

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by altaycoins, Apr 15, 2018.

1. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

RAGNAROK likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

As a testimony to how quickly favorites can change... I just posted mine earlier today. Here's my new fav: :)

[​IMG]

4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Here's a recent favorite coin of 2018 so far.

DomitianSestertius.jpg

5. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

And my favourite pair of Tets:

Kingdom of Thrace, Lysimachos AR Tetradrachm. Lysimacheia, circa 297-281 BC. Diademed head of the deified Alexander right, with horn of Ammon, Athena Nikephoros seated left

Alexander Kingdom of Thrace 297-281 BC Lysimachos.jpg

.......unusual portrait of Athena.......looks like she has partaken a little too much in the 'nectar of the Gods' and just wants a lazy afternoon....:hungover:;)

AND

Seleukid Empire, Antiochos I Soter AR Tetradrachm circa 281-261 BC. Diademed head right / Apollo seated to left on Omphalos, holding bow in left hand and sighting along arrow held in right......

Seleukid Empire, Antiochos I Soter AR Tetradrachm. Seleukeia on the Tigris, circa 281-261 BC.jpg

Antiochos I Soter looks like a frightened boy who's just been told off by Apollo:D:p

GregH, Spaniard, Theodosius and 18 others like this.
  6. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

7. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

TypeCoin, your narrative:

Life is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable because all you get back is another box of chocolates. So you're stuck with this undefinable whipped mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while there's a peanut butter cup or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast and the taste is... fleeting. So, you end up with nothing but broken bits filled with hardened jelly and teeth-shattering nuts. And if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you got left is an empty box filled with useless brown paper wrappers.

Reminds me of the time:

......a life insurance salesman was visiting a little old lady to sell her a policy. She offered him tea & while waiting he snacked on a bowl of nuts which were on the table. When she returned, he commented on the delicious nuts. She said "well, I get them from a specialty candy store. They come chocolate covered, but you know, I can't chew the nuts, so I just eat the chocolate. I hate to waste the nuts!"

RAGNAROK, Cucumbor and Alegandron like this.
  8. slynop

slynop Well-Known Member

Wonderful coins !
    I like a lot the didrachm, the coins from Etruria, the denarius from Marsic war and at least the dekadrachm from Zeugitana.

Very good choice ! :)

Alegandron likes this.
  9. Caesar_Augustus

Here's my latest favourite! I'm going to have a write-up prepared for it for my inaugural post on beloved CoinTalk. :)

[​IMG]

Spaniard, Ajax, Curtisimo and 5 others like this.
  10. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Ayyubids Al-Nasir Yusuf I (Saladin) AV Dinar 1189 Al Sikandriya (Alexandria) Mint

Saladin 1189 Alexandria Mint.jpg

11. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

12. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

It's this Ex: @red_spork beauty. Honestly, red_spork probably suffered from momentary insanity when he listed this beauty for sale, and I was glad to be able to take advantage of that and accept the offer before he came to his senses.

They are not rare and mine is probably no better than others out there of the type, but to this date this is still my favorite theme on an ancient coin. I think the design is iconic, and the double head obverse design is a real beauty. The eagle attacking the dolphin is such a powerful image too. I'm very pleased to have one in my collection.

Istros Drachm.jpg

13. Caesar_Augustus

That looks like a real crab to me! Nice coin :)

No kidding :O. I'm still missing a coin with sea creatures on them.

14. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Nothing special but this portrait still does it for me!...and it was my first denarius..
    Paul :rolleyes:
    JULOBREV.jpg

15. slynop

slynop Well-Known Member

My favorite coin is not the much rarer, it's one of the travel coins of Hadrian, and i would love, one day, to have one for each stop, in the best state, obviously. It's my favorite because with this sort of coin you can follow him in his big trip, it's a sort of map of Roman Empire and also a smart tool of propaganda. And each denomination has specifics things, clothes or symbolics representation. It's very interesting.

HADRIANVS AVG COS III PP Dupondius 13,71 gr.JPG Hadrien la Dacie assise à gauche sur un rocher RIC 850 Cohen 531.JPG

16. Caesar_Augustus

Draft saved Draft deleted