Your favorite Coin Book

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Indianhead65, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

I've been wanting one of these

expat likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

My Father in law got this one from Amazon in 2007

Indianhead65 likes this.
  4. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

As for magazines, I subscribe to Coin Age, and my local library let's me download U.S. Coin Prices magazine. They also carry Numismatist magazine in their periodicals section.

Indianhead65 likes this.
  5. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Anyone here familiar with Coin World magazine? They have two varieties: monthly and weekly. They say: "Each issue has different editorial content.
    The monthly edition, along with editorial content has the coin values.
    The weekly issues, along with editorial content, have classified ads. "

If you are familiar with these, what do you think?

6. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I'm not a world collector there is too much to collect in America's History keeps me very busy but I love it. Pennies and Morgans are my favorites although I enjoy peeking at the world and ancient threads. Good luck be safe.

Indianhead65 likes this.
  7. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

For US coins it is Redbook. For 20th century World Coins it is this one. Picked it up from a LCS for $20. I think he had the new edition and was getting rid of his old shop copy. I have only had it a couple of months but use it almost daily. Has US Coins as well but not as complete as the RB. Polish_20200727_201319500.jpg

Indianhead65 likes this.
  8. Jeff71

Jeff71 New Member

As a U. S. Large Cent enthusiast (particularly middle dates) I find Wright's The Cent Book can't be beat. For late dates, Grellman's U.S. Cents is great.

differential and Indianhead65 like this.
  9. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

I don't think I have actually read any numismatic book end to end. I utilize a large variety of reference books. Although I may utilize the Red Book, US Coin Digest, and the SCOWC as my main "picture books", my favorite "picture book" is the Scott's Comprehensive Catalogue and Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins. For the most part, I read and jump around actual books and mostly read through journals, both new and old.

I regularly read The Numismatist, the IBNS Journal, ErrorScope, the CWTS Journal, TAMS Journal, The Shekel, the US Mex NA Journal, and Paper Money. I also regularly read through older journals of ErrorScope, The Numismatist, the ANS Journal, the CWTS Jounral, The Numismatic Scrapbook, and the Whitman Numismatic Journal.

I don't have any real favorite book (or journal or magazine), but like to read both on things that completely interest me as well as those things that interest my peers in the numismatic community.

Indianhead65 likes this.
  10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Well, my favorite coin book for beginners is the one I wrote myself.

And, I'll let someone else link it so I don't get in trouble.

Or... you can look in my signature below.

Indianhead65 likes this.
  11. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

When I was a kid in 1964 I started collecting world coins and used the book A Catalog of Modern World Coins by R. S. Yeoman, sixth edition, published in 1964, to keep track of the collection.

The book had illustrations and prices for world coin types dated from around 1850 to 1964 and at 5" x 8" was easy to carry around to local coin shows.

When the seventh edition came out in 1967 I bought one and would circle the catalog numbers of coins which I had.

Of course, inflation has made the values obsolete, but the illustrations still help in identifying coins.

:)

Indianhead65 likes this.
  12. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

Just got my 2021 Redbook yesterday. My old ones are in hiding right now

Indianhead65 likes this.
  13. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

13739FD8-A1FF-4FD0-9A38-9E65CF7C21B1.jpeg

There are many good books on US coins and varieties, this is one of them. I know you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but the coin pictured is also kind of special!

Indianhead65 likes this.
  14. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

The Art and Craft of Coinmaking: A History of Minting Technology
    Denis R. Cooper, 1988 (Difficult to find)
    art_coinmaking.jpg

From Mine to Mint
    Roger W. Burdette, 2013
    minemint.jpg

Indianhead65 likes this.
  15. Jim Dee

Jim Dee New Member

First time I bought a 2021 mega red book. The book does not indicate what price of gold and silver based on. The condition of the coin were hard to see due to yellow color based. The photo of the coins were so blare. Otherwise this by far the best coin book That I bought. I also wish someone will publish separately from classic coins, a complete U.S. Modern commemorative coins and bullion coins. And continue the world coins book left by Krause.

Indianhead65 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted