Your attention please!!!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by hunter raine, Mar 25, 2010.

1. crypto79

crypto79 Junior Member

Even then, there are very few people that collect them that would make the jump $$$ wise for a micro DDR or Peg leg or what have you. Ike sets are cool for kids since they are cheap and common like Franklins but not tied to silver prices and most old time dealers have bags of AU-low MS that can be rummaged through on the cheap. Ike errors(off centers, off metals, ect) on the other hand are super popular with error collector more so then Ike guys and command very strong prices. Some of the strongest prices post clad for any coin in fact save 69s DDO, 2000 Cheerios 1$ and a couple of others being the only exceptions.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

Saving small dollar amounts can be enjoyable. Putting aside coins that have mintages in the millions in the hopes of making significant investment gains isn't a realistic scenario.

I do pull bicentennial quarters out of circulation and I intend to spend them when the national park quarters program ends and no one remembers the bicentennial quarters. I'm talking about maybe $25 worth, not huge opportunity costs. I also like getting and spending Ike dollars, just to see the reaction of the recipients.

As for presidential dollars, I have one roll of each. But since this is approx. $300 now, most likely, I'm going to keep 5 of each (for any future grandchildren) and use the remaining $240 towards upgrading one of my type set coins.

4. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

I don't see that they would be worth too much over premium. Maybe $1.25 at most unless, of course, you put it on ebay as "unsearched," then I'd say $1.75.

5. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

Even if they become worth $5-$10 apiece in 50 years, that amount may not buy what $1 will today due to inflation. Think about how much a $1 would buy in 1960...probably 20 Hershey bars. Today, maybe 1 1/2? Holding cash, which I unfortunately do, really whittles down your wealth over time....

6. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

lol me too.

As for your question. Less then the $1 equivalent of now meaning it's value won't keep up with inflation.

7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

One point worth noting...as I gaze at the pile of corroded 2007 Presidential dollars on my desk...there's a good chance these things won't survive 50 years.

1. These things are exceptionally, poorly made.

2. These things will likely become obsolete before ever circulating...resulting in a massive "coin melt"...

...OR, the Government will do away with the $1 bill and these coins will actually "circulate" and corrode away in people's coin jars.

8. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

If we only had a crystal ball !!

9. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

You don't?! I thought everyone was issued one when they joined CT.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Worse than that. For just their purchasing power to keep up with the "official" rate of inflation (CPI of 3%) they would have to be worth $4.36 each. Anything less and you've lost money.

11. financeman

financeman Lincoln Cent Connoisseur

I would agree with a lot of the other posters. I think somewere between $1.15 and $1.50 depending on the condition of the coin and the president.

12. Coinman1974

Coinman1974 Research, Research, Research

Thanks it is a sweet coin isn't it? I have one myself, there not much different other then this one is easily readable, in mint condition, has great eye appeal, and is worth a significant amount of money. My coin on the other hand, is slightly different, probably a grade or two lower give or take 60 or so..has a few (hundred) bag marks and some ( was a sand blaster used on this) wear. and is worth less then 100,000 dollars (a lot less).

Other then that there a lot a like
    But it is my favorite, I have the 1788 as well.

Regards,
    Stan

13. Coinman1974

Coinman1974 Research, Research, Research

Peter you have some explaining to do!

14. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Time won't have any bearing on how much these coins will be worth. Thats why you can still go out and buy thousands of ancients made 2000 years or more ago for a few dollars each. In 2000 years the Pres dollars will still be worth a dollar.
    Guy~

Draft saved Draft deleted