Your advice on this Peace Dollar appreciated

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LA_Geezer, May 7, 2020.

1. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

Nice looking, attractive Peace Dollar. Difficult to determine cleaning from a photo but I would not have it graded for another reason. The value you will receive from grading does not appear to be there, in my opinion. At XF-45, the coin has a value of about $120, at AU-58 it would be about $200. AU-58 is the best grade you may reasonably expect. Is that enough potential value to justify having the coin graded? I would say no. I would just enjoy it as a raw coin.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

No way that's a 58 at best 40 or 45 details...cleaned.

Spark1951 likes this.
  4. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Agreed. I am inclined to take @Mike Thorne's advice and have it graded.

I am not a member of any of the TPGs, though, but have hitched on to one member's frequent grading junkets to NCG. I have since learned of a rather inexpensive TPG called ICG that is rather basic comparatively, and much less expensive. I have two recent Morgan purchases in ICG slabs that appear to be graded accurately, so I may well just do that. I have far too many raw coins, though, to be sending those valued over $100 to any TPG regardless of their cost.

5. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Given its source I doubt that it has been cleaned. It's more likely a family heirloom that the seller bought at a garage sale.

6. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

@LA_Geezer,
    I could very well be wrong would'n be the first and I'm sure it won't be the last.
    without seeing it in hand it's hard to say one way or the other from the images.

7. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

A dealer once told me that in the dealer community ICG stands for I Can't Grade! Also, ANACS is okay and a lot less expensive. The one major coin that I bought in an ICG holder, an 1894 Morgan in AU58, turned out to have been cleaned. I think I lost money on it.

8. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I know for a fact the graders at ICG are top notch and know their stuff. That being said, you can hire the best graders on Earth...but they still must grade based on the standards of their employer. Based on what I have seen, ICGs standards have been a little looser when it comes to grade than the bigger TPGs. But that’s the standard the company uses...not a reflection on the people doing the grading. As far as authenticity and being problem free, I have no reservations with them.

longshot likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted