Your advice on a book for grading US coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by petronius, Oct 6, 2012.

1. petronius

petronius Duke

I would purchase a book for grading US coins, and my attention has rested on two titles.

This is the first

grading coins.jpg

and this is the other

grading coins by photograph.jpg

In the price there is a small difference, so it's not a problem, but I have read, especially for the first, conflicting reviews, particularly about quality of photos, which would not be the best.

I would like some opinions from guys who already own one or both of these books. Which could be the best? or neither?
    You have other books to suggest, in the same price range? They are sold at amazon.com for $ 12-15 plus shipping costs.
    Thanks to all :hail:

petronius :smile

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I don't know which of those are better, but if you haven't checked out photograde, I suggest you do so. You may not even want the books.
    http://www.pcgs.com/photograde/
    Also, you could buy them both. It's better to have too many numismatic books, than too few.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

petronius - let me ask you a question. Since it is a known fact that no 2 coins of the same grade are alike - how could one possibly grade a coin based on 1 photograph of 1 coin ?

What I am trying to tell you is that grading by photograph books are basically worthless when it comes to learning how to grade. I know a lot of people may think differently, but when you consider what I said above - it's pretty hard to think otherwise.

The ANA book is a far, far better choice. And just ignore the pictures in the book as they would be of very little to no help anyway.

And Lon, Photograde is only for circulated coins. It cannot help you learn how to grade MS coins at all.

5. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

in all honesty the ana book is the best i have 1 copy it is the bst.. chek scribd

6. valente151

valente151 Mr. AU64, Jr.

I have and use both. I personally like the bower's book just as much, if not better than the ANA book. The bower's book includes pretty much the same written information as the ANA book, and the pictures are clear and in color.

But Petronious, just a heads up, a book alone won't teach you how to grade. The best advice I can give is to go to a show and look at as many coins as you respectfully can, and look at what the TPGs gave them (not always perfect, but fairly close). Learn the differences for each series that you can. Thats how I have, and still am, learned.

The ANA Summer Seminar also does a good job too with their grading classes. I ave taken two and learned alot.

The other thing that I have learned to do when grading is to not look at the definitions for each series individually, but rather the general definitions for each grade across each series. Then, if I know what an MS coin looks like, I can determine a grade by judge looking at overall wear. MS grades are hard and definately not going to be taught by a book. Those definately need in hand practice.

I know I went off topic here from your question, but just some friendly advice.

7. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I use the ANA book.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

ANA Grading Standards.........

9. petronius

petronius Duke

Thanks to all guys :)

I agree with Lon Chaney, it's better to have too many numismatic books, than too few. And I agree that no book can replace the experience that is gained just by looking at most coins is possible.

I have a good experience on grading coins according with Italian system, which provides only four levels: MB (VG) - BB (VF) - SPL (EF) and FDC (UNC), but I want gain experience also with American system, especially for grading US coins in my collection.

For the moment, agree with many of your opinions, I will purchase the ANA book, which I believe could be a good start.

In the future, probably, I will purchase also the other ;)
    Thanks to all, again :hail:

10. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Get the ANA book.

You can look at photos of coins all day long online if you want to try to learn to grade by photos. Most auction sites allow you to look at the coins for free and there are thousands and thousands of coins posted each month (with the grades assigned by the grading companies available for reference). And in most cases, the photos you can see online are much much better than those printed in the books.

11. GDJMSP

No argument there. But, depending on what you want to learn, you would be well advised to spend your money on books that will actually help reach that goal instead of spending it on books that will not. In other words, be selective and spend your money where it will do you the most good.

As an example, the Red Book is an essential book for any collector of US coins. But the Blue Book is not only a waste of money, it is a waste of paper and ink. And will help you learn absolutely nothing.

Same thing goes for books on grading. Some of them are excellent and I urge all collectors to own them. But some of them are useless and you shouldn't waste your money on them.

12. petronius

petronius Duke

Yeah, but the ANA book seems to me a book of the first type, a good book to own, according with opinions of CT members.

13. GDJMSP

Did you think I was saying it wasn't ? I'm probably the biggest fan of that book that there has ever been.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Doug the PCGS Photograde that Lon linked is not the James Ruddy Photograde that only covered circulated coins. It does cover MS coins. But I agree you can't learn to grade MS coins from images.

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The ANA book is a must-own IMHO, but its photos are terrible compared to the on-line Photograde or Making The Grade. I bought Making The Grade first, and I have no regrets. I'll be shelling out for the new edition of it, too; it covers series that were omitted from the previous edition, and the larger format should make it more convenient to use (less flipping back and forth within a particular type).

16. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the PCGS Guide to Grading and Counterfeit Detection. IMHO the BEST book on grading US coins both circulated and MS grades. Don't get me wrong, I own many of the previously mentioned books, but if you want a reference for grading US coinage, I'd say the PCGS book by far is the book that you want.

http://coinshowradio.com/PCGS_Counterfeit_Guide.html

17. petronius

petronius Duke

Well, I purchased the ANA book this morning, at amazon.uk (best price).

I will receive it in 8-10 days.

18. I find it hard to say any book would help as the human brain lets each of us see a coin differently.
    This is one reason i see sending any coin to have it graded is a waste of money and time.
    I am not trying to say coins that have been graded werent done right just saying no one sees the same coin the same way.
    If right here on coin talk when a coin comes up for the asking of a grade just watch how many different opinions are offered about the same coin.
    We are human and we all see what we see only when its pointed out do some of us see what others saw that we missed.
    Until a macine is made to grade a coin useing a perfect coin it uses to grade from i dont think gradeing companys will ever be the last word on any coins true grade.
    When you see coins in one slabe cracked out and sent to another company that will give it a higher grade do you feel its the right grade .I dont because if it was the right grade it should match the grade the coin was given.
    Just my opinion.

19. petronius

petronius Duke

I received it today :thumb:

petronius :D

Draft saved Draft deleted