Your 2021 Collecting Goals

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

What are your collecting goals, if you have any, for 2021.

I will pretty much continue to collect anything that catches my eye, especially if the price is right.

One coin I do want to acquire this new year is a New Style Athens Tetradrachm. I also wouldn't mind a Milled coin of Elizabeth I & a Queen Anne crown.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Yes.

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I'm with you, anything that catches my eye and is in our price range.
    I've been thinking of expanding my Gallienus zoo series, which is at 4 right now.
    I would love to get a coin from the 1200, 1300, and 1400's which would then make it so we have a coin from every century.
    Perhaps some Byzantine overstrikes if I can find them.
    I would also love to add an English hammered penny.

5. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I think I'll be doing the same thing, Mat. Though I plan to slow down a bit and spend more time with the coins I have, cataloging them, etc.

6. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

That is an admirable goal:)

7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I got the idea after seeing your posts ;)
    Obviously our coins won't be gold lol.

8. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

I want to find the gold coins lost on the Pedro de Villaseur expedition in Nebraska Territory 1729. Lost around Columbus Nebraska. Villaseur and men killed by the Pawnee. Treasure never found. Spanish armor found close to Columbus.

9. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

I have a fondness of the earliest denarii. To complete my collection of the RRC 44/5 varieties, I need the "limp tail" variety Group 7 in my website. This is not a rare variety, although not pictured in Crawford's plates. They are not the most beautiful of the series, and come up in terrible or damaged condition often, but they are rare in nice condition. Also not a rare variety, but one of the prototypes of the earliest anonymous series and quite stylistically beautiful is group 5. Nice ones like this from RBW NAC 61 command high prices, and are quite rare. I've been searching for these types for years, but have never been willing to pay the high prices for the fine examples. It will be interesting to see at the end of 2021 if I will maybe have become less enthusiastic about this series, or be dead, or have acquired these examples. I hope for the latter. Posting pictures here of representative examples:

Group 7. Limp Tail:
    044-5-3024-dr.jpg
    Group 5:
    44-5-22-hessD-317-424.jpg

ominus1, Bing, svessien and 13 others like this.
  10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

To get much more organized with my whole coin collection. To know what I have and know what I want in the future. My coin buying is very focused now. I will buy fewer coins until my credit card debt is down lower. I want to go to coins shows in Vegas, but after the last 1 I went to....it was very hard and rushed because you only get 1 hour to look and buy something until the next group comes in. The pressure to buy a coin is to great. I hate that. I like taking my time to see many many many coins. I am so looking forward to getting the vaccine for the covid 19 virus. Then I will go to the coins shows in Vegas.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  11. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I have no goals for new coins in 2021. I have collected for over 70 years and don't feel a need to add to my collection. There is nothing out there for my collection but extremely high end pieces. I will spend my time organizing my collections and figuring how to get them to the children.

12. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

More Roman Republican coins. More Roman Alexandrian coins and other Provincials. Probably not as many Roman Imperials; the ones I really want but don't have are getting too expensive for me. Still the occasional Greek coin that strikes my eye and doesn't bankrupt me.

Another goal is to continue to have the willpower not to breach the barrier of paying $1,000 or more for a single coin. It's difficult! Because it would be easy to justify by telling myself that it's just the one time, and I'll make up for it by buying fewer less-expensive coins. I know myself better than that!

Multatuli, JulesUK, AnYangMan and 7 others like this.
  13. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Sadly, 2021 is going to be a light year for me. With a little one on the way and just bought my wife a nice, shiny van, the coin budget will be negligible. I have some sale fodder in the mail - hoping to be able to red paperclip my way to something nice by year's end.

Indo Sassanians are always on the menu however - at typically under $10 a pop, who can say no?!? As the collection grows, my eye grows ever more critical, now I only select the choicest, the most rare, and the ones that show me something I need to put another piece of the puzzle together.

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My goal for 2021 is to avoid buying coins I would not have bought under 'normal' circumstances. I have fewer coin today than I did at the start of 2020 and regret purchasing some I added this year. I only have 60 years in the hobby but agree that I might be better off buying nothing until the fun returns. There are thousands of coins I do not have that would sell for low prices because no one would want them but me. I will buy only fun coins.

Organizing is a good thing but no one in the family wants my coins. The money they represent will not make any of us happier.

This was a big problem for me which I handled by buying a $7k 'AK collection' lot in Triton XX including two coins I catalogued in at over $1k even though the even division worked out to less than that. When I buy a lot, I always catalog them in so the total adds up to the cost even though the best might be ten times the least. Willpower is good but we need to avoid kicking ourselves when we fail to have it.

15. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I think a good objective is to reduce purchases, become more focused, spend more time organizing, documenting (cataloging) and to decide what, on earth, is going to be the fate of this collection. I plan to create a trust, and the collection will definitely be part of it.

Another benefit of reducing purchases is that it will prevent the likelihood of the collection reaching a critical mass and collapses into a super massive gravitational object that sucks in the neighborhood and a good portion of San Jose.

16. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Just broad aims. Looking to focus/collect more Ptolemaic, especially larger bronzes. And maybe also 2nd century BC Seleucid. Also want to put more focus back into the Germanic kingdoms; neglected their coinage a bit for the past couple of years. Finally, I want to participate in and purchase more from auction houses (which I’ve already started to do in these last couple of months); I’ve played it safe sticking to Vcoins and Ebay for the most part since I’ve started collecting, but now I want to have access to more of the coin market and to potential deals.

17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Just to keep collecting!

My second, but more important goal is to wake up each morning glad I'm not dead!

18. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Well, I never lived up to my goals for 2020/ kinda deviated and ended up with various odds and ends. This time, I will be more realistic and not make any promises. I would like to cut back to 44-45 new coins for 2021/ but get a few higher end ones like a RR MS AV 60 Asses:) Then bring it to my CoinKlub's "Show & Tell".....get a few chuckles;)

19. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

As other posters have said already, I'll probably end up collecting whatever may catch my eye. For me personally, though, I'd like to find an attractive denarius of Trajan and Hadrian and possibly one of Vitellius or either Clodius Albinus. However, when it comes to other areas of numismatics, my goals are much less defined than when it comes to ancient coins.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  20. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

I intend to keep the collection lean and mean, only bidding on coins that really strike me as special. This means another year like 2020 which only saw a handful of purchases.
    There are a few coins on my wish list that are going to take some budgeting and plenty of patience..

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  21. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

My goals are to definitely reduce purchases to fewer, but higher quality coins. I don’t need 50 low grade small bronzes, I need 5 high grade big ones!

To start 2021 off right I just spent a whopping sum on a gorgeous provincial bronze. Stay tuned!

Draft saved Draft deleted