Your 2 cents on a 2c.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by chromerunner, Aug 28, 2015.

1. chromerunner

chromerunner ******

Just got the grades on a few I have out at PCGS. Pretty disappointed it got hit with questionable color. In your opinion would you straight grade this or do you agree with the QC label.

[​IMG]

Two others i sent in for the ride.
    AU58RB
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PR65RB

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    swamp yankee and razorblaydesjr like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I hate the questionable color designation. I hear if you break it out of the slab and resubmit it, there is a possibility it will straight grade. Maybe send it to NGC?

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

A quick point about the "Army and Navy" piece. This is precisely the token I had in mind in my post of August 21 under "The Lincoln Funeral Train."

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

All very nice. I'd call them and discuss before I 'd resubmit to NGC. Just my $.02.

6. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Its not been cleaned, thats for sure . They most think it was artificially toned ..

swamp yankee likes this.
  7. CHUCKCXB

CHUCKCXB Active Member

I have sent in several Indianhead cents .. NGC called them unnatural color

8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Since I've seen numerous two cent pieces that look like that after being in an album for many years, I would have thought that a straight grade was in order. Of course, I don't have the coin in hand or see as many as PCGS does either.

9. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, there was a (3-panel) Whitman folder for 2c coppers and 3c nickels. Of course, I had to have one, but they were only 35 cents! We all know that sticky inner coating was not very healthy for coins, especially in higher grades.

chromerunner and swamp yankee like this.
  10. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

The 1864 might re-grade at NGC. I can see why they put questionable color, but I don't think it is that bad.

chromerunner likes this.
  11. chromerunner

chromerunner ******

What straight grade range if it got one would I be looking at? Was really hoping for a 64-65.

12. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I don't think that 65 is unreasonable.

chromerunner likes this.
  13. DieHard11

DieHard11 Member

I agree- if the color is "questionable," let another grader or two give opinions.

Evan8 and chromerunner like this.
  14. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

The coin in my avatar got the same questionable color; unc details grade. I was pretty upset. When I see some of the garbage toned stuff that gets straight grades and mine gets debased that way, I'm pretty much through with TPG's. I might buy a few, but I'm not subjecting any more of my beautiful raw coins to that kind of abuse.

15. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

This one I bought cheap cause it said questionable color in a pcgs holder. I personlly like the coin so i broke it out of the slab and just am leaving it raw for now. Im not sure if the color is legit but its neat looking.
    1916 Lincoln.jpg

It seems like the grader is just being lazy when they say it. What's next? Questionable Cleaning? Whats the point of having it graded if they arent going to tell you if the coin has been messed with or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted