Younger collectors?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by NCnovice, Dec 11, 2017.

1. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I think many or most of us older folks were in the same position as you are now at your age. There's nothing wrong with taking time off for other things in life. Family and career trumped my hobbies.

WRSiegel likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

I was collecting until I was 15, then got into high school and college stuff. I got back into it when I was 37 when my dad gave me a can of old, not so valuable coins. I got hooked again.

I think the ANA and coin community needs to take to continue engaging youth into the hobby. They are making efforts and headway and need to escalate this.

NCnovice likes this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I said this for me not everyone else. Back in my younger years... it was about cars and girls. As I got in my 40's is when I got more serious about coins.

5. ma-shops

ma-shops Well-Known Member

I think that's right at the moment. The collectors are not as young as they were years ago...But it is our task to change this and give the newbies a chance, interest them in such hobbies. Best example is the daughter of my boss... she is 11 or 12 years old (I guess-not 100% sure) and they attended last week on the F.U.N. convention in Florida. She was excited to be part of it and I am happy that there are still kids who are interested in things besides TV, computers, social media or smartphones... On top she went to the YN (Young Numismatists) Program, which was organized by the F.U.N. convention. I think it's great that there are such possibilities which are hosted by these associations and we need to spread the word!!!!
    Many people you can find also on Instagram for example. Nice to look at and to catch up with likeminded people...Seriously, if this kind of passion/hobby "dies out" a little piece of history and personal values dies with it.

6. pghpanthers2

pghpanthers2 Resurgent Collector

It’s a generational thing. Many years ago when my dad was teaching me about collecting, I felt like all the people at shows were 70+, that hasn’t changed. Now, I already started a collection for my 2 year old and can’t wait to share everything I know with him. What goes around comes around. I don’t think this hobby has ever been particularly popular with the 20-40 year olds. Sure many on this site are an exception (including myself) but I am talking more in general. Reasons why have already been listed. The coin stands at the local flea market are by far the most popular (well, other than food haha)
    I don’t think this hobby is too threatened from a lack of interest. The inundation of counterfeit coins is a much bigger turn off for me. But even that you could argue is nothing new.

ma-shops and NCnovice like this.
  7. ronnie58

ronnie58 Active Member

This is very well thought out and expressed with an admirable logic. Who could say that your conclusion does not follow from this sequence of plausible evidence. So numismatics is going down the tubes as the generations age out.
    But guess what. It isn't.
    How can I suggest this? Because you are using the constructs of a passing world to forecast the atmosphere of a completely different and as yet unknown world.
    Only a couple of things are for sure in this tricky business of predicting the future of coin collecting.
    Society, including communication, economics, transportation, education, you name it are all going to look different in the near future. Think quantum computing and the verification of non-local effects. We are there already.
    And counterfeiting aside for the moment, the fact that they aren't making any more rare coins from the past.
    When you put together these two indisputable facts, you can see that while numismatics will not hold the identical position as it does today, some other agreement of valuation of the comprehensive array of current holdings will emerge.
    It might entail cooperatives, temporary ownership, institutional exchanges, who knows. Whatever it turns out to be, I believe that the value that is intrinsic to this act of preservation that we are collectively pursuing will turn out to be transferable to the world to come.

8. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

I'm 14 :), I think this hobby is doing just fine. ;)

Thanks,
    Jacob

ma-shops, Traci and baseball21 like this.
  9. Traci

Traci Active Member

I have read this entire thread and the varying opinions are very interesting. I’m 45 and I have just recently gotten the collecting bug because of all the coins my dad left me after he passed. I work in a high school so ya’ll collecting..don’t stop! It’s fun and interesting and lots of history involved! I wear a coin on a necklace and so many kids ask me about it. It’s interesting! We live in a world of instant gratification. Phones, video games, everything at the touch of a button. These kids are good though, just distracted. But there are so many kids who collect. I have talked to 5 in the past month who have asked about collecting. They are just an “online” group. I think if the experienced people promote it they would come to a show. Don’t give up on them! In all honesty I have not been to a coin show in 20 years and there must be one around me. I would make my 19 year old daughter come too

ma-shops likes this.
  10. icollectoldmoney

icollectoldmoney ANA Member:3192499

Hi all I am a young Farther of a son who was born micro premature at 24 weeks and 6 days.I am trying to start him a collection early maybe get him interested in the hobby.But do to unseen circumstances of hospital bills and other bills I am not really able to right now.So I was seeing if their was anybody out their who would work with me on starting him a collection.Or might want to help by donating something towards his collection.Everything I get will be put in a safe until he able to enjoy this amazing hobby.
    Thanks,
    Tyler

ma-shops likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted