Young Collector

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by icollectoldmoney, Aug 22, 2016.

1. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

There are so many different coins, and series of coins your choices are endless. If I was a billionaire, I couldn't even come close to getting all the different coins.

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

That's not at all true, and I don't think anyone, even those who prefer raw, is suggesting as much. Be careful not to misinterpret what anyone is saying.

beef1020 likes this.
  4. icollectoldmoney

icollectoldmoney ANA Member:3192499

Oh ok well so where is best place to find coins for a good value

5. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

eBay is all you need. It's the best coin show in the world lol.

Arvin likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Wow, if you find that place, let me know. Seriously, deals are where you find them. If you live in an area that has some coin shops, frequent them, get to know the owners and customers and get to see and evaluate lots of coins, after all, how would you know a good deal if it bit you in the...lower elevation. So, coin shops, flea markets that may have dealers or people who have SOME coins. E-bay is thoroughly disparaged here, but most of us have bought from them at one time or another. Possibly the best tell-tale to avoid BAD deals is when someone is offering you a GOOD deal.

The main thing is to enjoy what you are doing.

John77 and HAB Peace 28 2.0 like this.
  7. icollectoldmoney

Well ok I really like silver eagles

8. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

One of my favorite places is my local coin dealer, where they will often let me go through their "junk" silver. If you know what to look for, you can pull some good stuff for not much over melt.

My other favorite place is the bank... Coin roll hunting can be fun, and if you're a little lucky, you can find some really nice coins such as the two in my avatar. I also found a silver half and dime yesterday doing this.

Bottom line though is to collect what you like, and what appeals to you. If you're looking to do it for profit, my advice would be to save up and buy high grade scarce/rare dates as they are usually always in demand... stuff like 1926-S Lincolns, or 1932-D and 1932-S Quarters, for example.

9. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

It depends on what you're buying. Personally, I'm not an advocate of slabs unless you're buying a rare date and you don't have much collecting experience. Even then, if you know a reputable dealer, you can safely buy unslabbed rare date coins from them.

I always recommend studying coins as if they're a school class before you buy anything. Get to know the "ins and outs" of collecting, most especially how to properly grade coins, how to detect fakes, and how to best store them. A good safe is always a good investment if you're going to be in for the long term.

Coinlover67 and Paul M. like this.
  10. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

The best way to tell if a coin is cleaned is to look at a bunch of uncleaned coins... you can do this online, or in person at any reputable coin dealer. Once you look at enough coins, most cleaned coins will stand out like a sore thumb. Uncirculated coins usually reflect light in a specific, "circular" pattern. Cleaned ones do not do this... Usually, cleaned coins look dull on their surfaces.

The above isn't all inclusive, but it's a general guideline. The more you read up, and the more coins you see, the easier it is to spot the cleaned ones.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  11. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

You might want to invest in a Dansco album, and put a set together. You shouldn't have a problem doing this.

If you like the silver eagles, you will likely also enjoy the Walking Liberty Half Dollars as they have the same design on the obverse (front) side of the coin.

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Simply not true. It depends upon what you are collecting and your overall skill level. "Always" doesn't have much of an application in this hobby.

John77 likes this.
  13. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

You can say that again!

14. icollectoldmoney

I am proud I am learning as I move on in the hobby walking liberty half dollar's have really caught my eye but I am always going to keep my options open.

John77 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted