Young Collector

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by icollectoldmoney, Aug 22, 2016.

1. icollectoldmoney

icollectoldmoney ANA Member:3192499

What is best graded coins to collect for a young collector. With a average income of $600 ever two weeks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Your income is $600 every two weeks, or your coin budget is that much?

4. icollectoldmoney

My income is that much

5. brandon08967

brandon08967 Young Collector

Are you living at home? Cause I know where I live 15k a year isn't even enough to get by

spirityoda likes this.
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

The coins you like! If you have expensive tastes you'll have to learn to save.

longnine009 and jj00 like this.
  7. icollectoldmoney

Yeah I am living at home I want something small would the 2009 Penny's be good coins to start with graded

8. Arvin

Arvin Member

I'm a fellow young collector on a tight budget (20 y/o student). I don't know about you but i have to buy clothing, food, and everything. That's why not too many young people are into coins... too much other (more important) expenses and little money to go around. Anyway, i collect graded coins too because i like to get the best for my money. I collect modern commemorative coins, they are relatively cheaper than classical coins. Currently saving up for the upcoming 2016 gold standing liberty gold coin, hopefully a nice NGC SP70 at a good price. I collect graded semi numismatic bullion silver coins too, like the Australian Kookaburra, Koala, Chinese Panda, and maybe some others too. Make sure not to get Canadian graded bullion coins, cuz they will most likely get milk spots, even in slabs.

spirityoda and longnine009 like this.
  9. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

In your position, i would pick up rolls from the bank and search for silver, do date sets, etc. I personally don't like slabbed coins, even for high value items, i really don't like then for low valued stuff.

John77, Smojo and Jwt708 like this.
  10. Arvin

Arvin Member

I personally like graded coins because they are easier to sell on ebay, and easier to store with great protection for the coins. Especially for a perfectionist like me.

11. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I don't want to burst your bubble. But the silver Eagles get spots to. If I can find the pics I'll post my 2016 with milk spots. I have several slab bed ps69 & 70 & several unslabbed. Only 1 out of all mine it is or was a ps69 that spotted.

12. David Leu

David Leu Member

Collect what you like. You can put together some great registry sets for cheap on PCGS. Ike Sets, Type sets such as dimes, quarters, etc. Plenty of options just need to find what you like.

spirityoda and Smojo like this.
  13. icollectoldmoney

Oh ok thanks for the advice so I should do alot more research before I start buying.

tommyc03, Smojo and David Leu like this.
  14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Something you newer/younger collectors are failing to realize is this hobby can be enjoyed on any budget. There is no requirement to collect graded coins. Why not buy a coin folder and try to complete it from circulation finds? Or fill a Dansco album with ASEs pulled from bins? Lots of options out there. No need to blow a bunch of cash on common coins in fancy packages.

YES!

15. icollectoldmoney

Well ok thanks so much I am filling my national parks quarter folder right now about to start on my states quarter I try to get uncirculated coins.

DionHurst and Jwt708 like this.
  16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Buy pretty coins that you can afford. Don't buy ugly coins.

17. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

They are out there on low budget costs. I personally don't like clad or slabs. If clad is all you can budget right now then go for it. Graduate to better when your budget allows.
    There's good trustworthy dealers out there. Even on ebay.
    I give people a hard time every now & then. But if your serious there are plenty of people here myself included who will give honest advise.

18. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Lots of ancient Roman bronze coins available for $20 or less per coin. Sure can be a lot more interesting collecting than your typical old US Penny, Washington Quarters, Ike Dollar, etc.

Constantine I Sol.jpg Constantius III Phoenix Coin.jpg Emperor Diocletian Antoninianus.png Maximian Radiate.jpg

You could probably also add some Greek bronze coins for $50 or less, and maybe even some common Roman silver coins and medieval Indian and Islamic silver coins for $50 or less

Abbasid Caliphate, al-Rashid.jpg

Umayyad Dirham of Caliph Hisham ibn Abd' al-Malik.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Smojo, spirityoda, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  19. icollectoldmoney

Yeah I am going stick with the American coins thanks for the advice :) I am interested in us marshalls coin right now

20. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Yet your user name is icollectoldmoney :wacky:;)

21. icollectoldmoney

That is just something I thought of

RonSanderson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted