You Vs PCGS Sovereign Queen Victoria 1886 S

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Alexthegreat, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Alexthegreat

Alexthegreat Active Member

Hey guys,
    I bought this coin and I am not sure if the grading is right. What are your opinions about it?
    Thank you very much :)

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      283.9 KB
      Views:
    • c.jpg
      c.jpg
      File size:
      102.9 KB
      Views:
    • e.jpg
      e.jpg
      File size:
      297.2 KB
      Views:
    • F.jpg
      F.jpg
      File size:
      113.4 KB
      Views:
    • G.jpg
      G.jpg
      File size:
      286.7 KB
      Views:
    • H.jpg
      H.jpg
      File size:
      310.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I would not presume to grad off those photos, and one can have a difference of opinion. If it's egregious it could be a mechanical error (they typed the label incorrectly). In the series I follow most closely I suspect PCGS is giving a bit of a bump for eye appeal if not gold, and is a tad more lenient with grading on the gold. But they are consistent in that, so it is their interpretation and I respect it.

Is your concern too high/low/missed a designation/not genuine?

4. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

Obverse is lightly circulated, reverse still appears UNC. Guessing PCGS went with 55 or 58, depending on their mood that day.

Kentucky likes this.
  5. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

I am in the 55 camp because of the extreme amount of "pecking" or micro dings and scratches to the obverse. Your third picture really brought them out. The reverse, as is often the case, is very pleasant and would make one think MS grade. The obverse will rule IMO - but PCGS has occasionally been tough to anticipate.

Kentucky, Alexthegreat and TheGame like this.
  6. Alexthegreat

Thank you very much for your opinions [​IMG]

I will solve this later, because of I want to make further pictures of the coin at first. I am still waiting for the parcel.
    Greetings
    Alex

7. Zonker

Zonker Active Member

I tend to lean towards 55-58, PCGS is a bit lenient in their grades. I think 7 jags nailed it however describing the obverse.

8. Alexthegreat

Here are further pictures that I made on my own. On top of that there is a video as well [​IMG].
    Does that affect your opinion? Is a priece of 430 Euros okay for a piece like that?[​IMG]. I am not sure if I will take the coin. I think the frosty surace is very susceptible for scratches.

Attached Files:

9. Zonker

Zonker Active Member

What did PCGS grade it? Grading off photographs vs grading in hand are two different animals.

If PCGS graded the sovereign AU 55-58, 430 Euros may be a bit high. If they graded MS (not details), then it's a decent price. PCGS is a little liberal in grading at times.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  10. Contrarian

Contrarian New Member

Looks like a proof that was mishandled.

11. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

That one not a proof for sure, please look at the examples on line, maybe look at Heritage archives or such.
    It looks like the last of the serial number is showing "62"! If that is so, although a pleasant coin, leaves me a bit surprised as I can not see it based on obverse. If they did grade it that, then the lustre no doubt gave it a push. I collect half sovs and have seen better obverses at "58".

12. Zonker

Zonker Active Member

I'm not surprised. PCGS can be very liberal especially compared to British grading. I still believe it's AU.

13. Alexthegreat

You are right about all what you've said. Thats my opinion as well :couchpotato:
    This coin was gradet as MS 62, but I think that is too high. I belive that every coin has a certain ''range'' of possible gradings and the 62 is the highest of them. I think this coin would get AU 58 or MS 61 (for the shiny Luster) in most cases.
    I have made my decision. I will sent ist back to the seller. I even find that my other (and much cheaper) young head is a more pleasing coin :pompous:

Thank you very much for all the opinions!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That's because 58s are often better than 62's. 58 is basically it would be a 63/64 if there wasn't to much rub. Grading isn't linear where the higher the number the better, it's for the most part two separate scales stacked on each other at the 58/60 line.

His coin is what a 62 is.

Alexthegreat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted