You tell me and we'll both know...

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rachel Perez, Sep 17, 2019.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

If you post a picture, we might think of something, but alot of times, the tape will leave a mark, especially when it's been "drilled in" from the heat.

Acetone should lift the tape residue. I have also use "Goo Gone" but there still might be a mark for left over color that as worked its way into the metal.

Azariana likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Acetone is the go to for tape residue. I expect it is fully removable as it's only been there for a short time.

Razz and Azariana like this.
  4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Acetone will remove the tape residue but it should be done as soon as possible. If any toning is occuring (and toning is always occurring slowly) the tape residue will protect the surfaces under it and you can have differences in toning. The longer you wait, the greater the differences will be.

5. Azariana

Azariana Member

Thank you all on the advice for the residue. Just had this coin out last night, and yes there is toning beneath the tape. Received the Morgan in June, so I will get right on this today. I will definitely take some before and after pics. Thanks again, hope you all have a great weekend!!!

6. Rachel Perez

Rachel Perez Just a very wishful thinker!

Ok.. I'm taking back my thread about my 1925 Peace dollar! I would like to address the comments about it being glued on. .. it is incuse so that is impossible. Here's a couple of pics, I took them with a better camera than what was use to take the first pics I posted. I have been doing alot of reading on different errors and how the occur. The last was an article Mountain Man posted on another thread about dropped letters. . Very interesting! Could this possibly be what happened to this coin? Sure it could!?!?! IMG_20191013_004010781_HDR.jpg IMG_20191013_003549226_HDR.jpg

7. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

First off let me say these are MUCH better photos of the "S". I was under the impression this was a raised S not an incuse one.

Now I had to do some research on Struck Through Dropped Letter Errors. Interesting error but a mouthful to say.

If I understand the error correctly the "dropped letter", in this case an "S", would have come dislodged from an S on either the obverse or reverse die that minted it. Therefore it would have to be shaped like the S that dropped it.

From what I read and from looking at examples from the web I would have to say this is not what you have. When comparing the S in question it does not match any other S in shape or size on this coin . It is much too tight and crisp compared to the others.

IMO your new photos make this look more like a counterstamp. In other words, it was punched into the coin in someones garage after it left the mint. It is PMD and a curiosity but nothing more sorry to say.

John Burgess and Rachel Perez like this.
  8. Rachel Perez

I had the same thoughts myself when I was examining the coin today. I could not find an "s" on any coin to match it. But I was hoping that due to my inexperience I wrong. Well it's been educational anyway.. .Thanks for your expertise MontCollector. . Maybe next time huh. .

MontCollector likes this.
  9. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The other key characteristic that tells you it was punched is the slightly raised area outlining the S. This is displaced metal and is caused by the punch forcing metal away from the depression. The metal that was once in that location has to go somewhere, and part of it is pushed out to the sides and up. You can see a similar effect on gouges and other types of PMD. If it was caused during minting, the force from a die strike does not allow the displaced metal to rise above the surface (also true with strike through errors).

Rachel Perez and Heavymetal like this.
  10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

On tape, As you indicated it was tape to a card for mailing, thus likely to be modern tape. Very old tape does respond best to acetone for removal, but very modern clear tape is usually more soluble in water or alcohol, which for a short time exposure should not cause nor initiate damage to the coin. So I would use water first, alcohol second, and acetone lastly, not expecting damage from none, just the more common chemicals first.
    jim

11. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

This letter has been engraved or punched into the dollar. Post-mint damage.

Rachel Perez likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

In the first set of photos the S looked raised for which I would have no explanation but the last photos posted clear show it is incluse. It's possible that this is a dropped letter but I am not that familiar with them.

After looking closely at the last 2 photos it clearly shows the S has raised edges on all sides. This would indicate that the S has been hand punched and the metal, having to be forced to move, had to go somewhere. That makes me believe this is PMD and done outside of the Mint.

Rachel Perez likes this.
  13. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Punched in s after mint damage. Wow that wasn’t very tough to see and should have been VERY clear with coin in hand. I could see that in the first picture and this last picture in post #25 drives the fact home. Not that tough.
    Reed.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  14. Rachel Perez

Maybe not that tough to a trained eye and one day that will be me! But as for now I've only been a "collector" for a little over a month. But thanks for your opinion, every one has one!

15. Rachel Perez

This thread is not about tape and how to remove it sir. But I will take your advice when I'm in need of cleaning one of my coins. . Thank you!

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  16. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

The small S was punched into the coin after it left the mint.

PMD

As to why or when... those are impossible to determine.

Rachel Perez likes this.
  17. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Absolutely, 100% not done at the Mint.. It is now considered "damaged".

18. Rachel Perez

I know that you guys probably think I'm crazy and I'm beating this horse to death, but I bought a microscope for my coins and that "s" if that's what it is on the 1925 peace dollar is not raised on the sides, there is no material that has been pushed out to the side. You can say by looking at the picture that you can tell but you cannot, I cannot tell by looking at the pictures but I can by looking through the little microscope that I bought and there is no raised sides on any material making it have raised edges. It is as flat as the coin!

19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's raised ever so slightly on the top of the S, the metal shines more in the high area. I have over 50 years of collecting experience, not an expert but I do have a trained eye.

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

When you use a letter punch on silver, the punch is moving metal. Some goes down and some moves to the side. Raised metal above the field, around the letter, may or may not show.
    Truth is, none of this is important. Someone damaged the coin after it left the mint.

21. Rachel Perez

Ohh I believe you have a trained eye, most definitely. But I think I will take it with me to the show in Jan and have it looked at, just because curiosity is getting the best of me. No disrespect intended.

MontCollector and Collecting Nut like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted