You Take What You Can Get

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Jul 17, 2017.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

This drachm isn't in the best condition, but I'm very pleased to have acquired it. They don't come up very often in trade.

RPC1646a.jpg
    Vespasian
    AR Drachm, 3.09g
    Caesarea, Cappadocia mint, 74-75 AD
    RPC 1646 (2 spec.)
    Obv: AYTOKPA KAICAP OYЄCΠACIANOC CЄBACTOC; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
    Rev: ЄYOYC ЄBΔOMOY; Mt Argaeus; on summit, radiate figure standing l., globe in r. hand, sceptre in l. hand
    Ex London Ancient Coins Auction A1, 3 July 2017, lot 45.

A fairly rare Vespasian drachm from Caesarea, Cappadocia. Struck in 'local' style with a 12 o'clock die axis. Ironically, the Mt. Argaeus type is more commonly seen in 'Roman' Style. It's the only reverse type Caesarea struck in 74/75.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Very cool reverse type. Congrats on checking another rare type off the list!

David Atherton likes this.
  4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Awesome reverse!

5. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I like the coin. Portrait and reverse motif are well defined, not to mention that it is also a scarce issue.

Somewhat worn, yes, but that is not why we collect ancients:).

6. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

A very interesting type David. Congrats on a very nice purchase. The portrait is quite nice.

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A neat addition!

8. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

kool coin!

9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice! I like the reverse, and that's also a fine portrait of Bill Murray.

Justin Lee and David Atherton like this.
  10. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

So true! Some of my favourite coins would be considered less than VF.

Eduard and Alegandron like this.
  11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I like the portrait on this one.
    Agreed, I have many coins, some not even ancients, I find more attractive worn than the ones that are perfect.

I'm sure a few notice I ignore/don't reply much if they are perfect.:muted:

12. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

What a cool and interesting coin!!

13. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Great coin, David. I made a similar condition concession recently for this extremely rare, Spanish Mint, AR Victoriatus of the Roman Republic (Crawford 96/1), circa 211 BC. Note that the base of the trophy is massive and that ROMA is incuse on a raised tablet, similar to early Quadrigati and some early Denarii. I'll upgrade it someday...if I can.

20170717_211523.jpg 20170717_211616.jpg

14. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

15. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Great coin, David! We're a different from modern coin collectors in that we don't collect flawless coins that have never been handled. We collect historic coins with character. We welcome the idea that many ancient hands have touched our coins.

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Here again we face the question that has two sides each believing their answer is correct. If the best known or only known example of a coin is not high grade, does the coin exist? There are plenty of types available in mint state so it is not necessary for condition collectors to stoop to a VF or VG. I am sure there are coin types represented by no specimen better than poor. Whether any coin survived the centuries is very much a matter of chance. It is quite possible that the only survivor might be mint state but luck usually takes the other turn. Good luck on the upgrade dreams. I have several coins I would like to upgrade, too, but in the meanwhile I will enjoy what I have.
    My worst rare/unique(?) coin:
    Septimius Severus Alexandria mint denarius INVICTO IMP reverse (common from Emesa but not known from Alexandria)
    rf0230bb0893.jpg

Valentinian, Bing, Jwt708 and 7 others like this.
  17. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

How can you tell it's from Alexandria?

18. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

I love the grizzled local style on these issues, great catch!

19. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I think the reverse look quite good

20. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

I guess I'm reading a different forum than you are Doug, because I've seen vanishingly little evidence of these "sides" you describe. No doubt I'm an example of a "condition collector" in your eyes, yet I have no qualms about including in my collection quite worn specimens of genuinely rare denarii. (Granted, I have very strict criteria about what qualifies as "rare.") Nor do I have anything but the utmost respect for David's Flavian collection, an ideal marriage of aesthetics and comprehensive scholarship. Of course the OP coin fits there seamlessly; why wouldn't it?

A few coins from my collection: A rare denarius of Q. Cornuficius, Crawford 509/5:
    Phil (157).JPG

and the rarest denarius of Julius Caesar, Crawford 452/5 (rarest along with its "large head" sibling, Crawford 452/4, and excluding Crawford 482/1, probably struck by Octavian rather than Caesar):
    Phil (103).JPG

Phil Davis

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  21. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I wholeheartedly sacrifice condition of a scarce/rare/HISTORICAL coin over a pretty-boy mint state.

I surprisingly have a few coins with known examples under 20, and a further few with known examples under 10... I don't think they would win any Numismatic Beauty Contests, but I do not collect numismatically... I like to collect Historically.

I am fascinated by the Etrurian people. Little is known of their origins, and they are a very distinct people from the other Italian peoples. They were the precursor culture that heavily influenced and was later absorbed into the Roman Culture early in Rome's history.

Here is a fairly scarce (RARE?), only 2 known...one in the British Museum, the other is some obscure dopey collector's hands...

She ain't purdy, but she is mine...
    upload_2017-7-18_20-53-6.png
    Etruria, Populonia
    2 ½ asses , AR 0.85 g
    3rd century BCE
    Obv: Radiate female head r.; behind, IIC (retrograde).
    Rev: Blank.
    Ref: EC 104 (misdescribed, Female head with an Attic helmet). Historia Numorum Italy 179.
    NAC Comment: Of the highest rarity, apparently only the second specimen known. Dark patina and about very fine.
    Ex: From the collection of E.E. Clain-Stefanelli
    (Further research E.E. Clain-Stefanelli's excellent provenance... )
    ANS Executive Director Ute Wartenburg reported that Elvira Eliza Clain-Stefanelli died Oct. 1, 2001. Mrs. Stefanelli retired in 2000 as the Senior Curator of the National Numismatic Collection in the Numismatics Division of the National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC. She was at the Smithsonian for forty years, and was responsible with her husband Vladimir for organizing and building up the National Numismatic Collection (from 60,000 to over 1,000,000 pieces.) She survived a Nazi concentration camp in WWII Europe, moved to Rome, and learned numismatics there. In New York she and her husband worked for Stack's and started the Coin Galleries division there. Her most recent publication was "Life In Republican Rome On its Coinage", a lavishly illustrated discussion of the themes which appear on the coinage of the Roman Republic, published in 1999. Her major contribution to the science of numismatic literature was her classic "Numismatic Bibliography", published in 1985.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted